Anyone here with Degenerative Discs and Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronagh, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you has Degenerative Disc and Fibro?

I have DD in L4-L5, xray shows i have mild Scoliosis mid lumbar spine, my Dr says my xray is not too bad,she says most people of my age have DD and the mild Scoliosis is nothing to worry about!!!!!!!!! I'd love to give her one day to live with my pain:)

What are your symptoms with Degenerative Discs at my level?
    I have all the symptoms, low back and hip pain, stiffness, thigh pain pins and needles that are not too severe, restless leg at times that can drive me crazy, sometimes my feet are cold with a slight numbing sensation and pins and needles.

I get my husband to rub deep heat cream into my back ( when he is in good form, i'm sure he is sick listening to me complaining )he says he can feel what he calls tiny lumps along lower back, when he presses these lumps (nodules )? they are very painful, its feels like inflamation.

Can any of you identify with me?

Thank you.

Bronagh:)
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was dx when i was only 31 years old w/dd.

not fun is it. i have it in my cerical down the back.

they saw it when i was 36 years old at a differnt dr's off cand said your too young to have this, isaid i was dx when i was 31 years.

they say anti-imflamatories and stretching, hot showers and ice. i can't wait when i am a senior citizen. now i'm 40 yrs.

i have all of the above and fibor, buldinging discs neck down, read my bio too many things to mention.

happy trails,

jodie
  3. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you Jodie, i forgot to mention neck, cervical area, i get burning stinging there most days.

Just like you, i've too much to mention here, i must do a bio also.

I'll read yours today.

Appreciate your reply, take care.

Bronagh:)
  4. wiseeagle

wiseeagle New Member

Hi,

Yes, I have DD @ L-5 - S1. THere really isn't alot to do for it
    I use complementary medicine alot and have found that eating Jello helps..you see the disc are made out of jellatin like substance and eating Jello helps!! Really. I've been to ortho.
    dr. and all they want to do is injections, some kind of fusion..NOT interested @ all. I am an RN and understand both sides of the spectrum...I use my complementary medicine more and more...No side effects. Hope this helped you.

Valerie
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i haven't heard of that one.

thanks for the tip. i'll use my sugar free.

thanks again and yes i get the burning numbing, tingling, spasms, stiffness especially when the rainy season comes and humidity is a killer also. talk about a flare and the feet unbearable to walk on. at times i think i need one of those scooters they sell.

lots of luck to everyone and i'm not quite ready for surgery. but i do get sick of half my perinum going numb and wonder if that is why have have to run to the bathroom for both reasons. sometimes it's the ibs.

well good luck everyone

jodie
  6. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Many thanks for your replies.

Thank you for the tip Valerie:)

I'm seeing a Rheumatologist this Monday coming, i really hope he will give me a little attention because i'm tired being pushed to one side by Dr's that i have been to.

Take care all.

Bronagh.
  7. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I have DDD in my upper back, near the shoulders. I work at a computer and I believe that is what caused it.

I went to physical therapy but that was a few years ago. I have exercises to do at home.

I get sort of a numb, tingling sensation. It's hard to explain. Not much I can do about it, is there?

BxGirl
  8. badluck

badluck New Member

I was diagnosed at age 31 with DDD L4-S2 and moderate to severe. The reason we found out was a flare up that left me (quite litterally) unable to walk for two days. After the first 2 days, I could walk if I used a dining room chair like a walker. I have an unusually high pain threshold, so the doctor was very aware of how bad it was.

I was sent for some PT (tens unit and heat therapy) which did help some. No more flare ups that bad, but I have some pain and/or numbness everyday. Just standing can cause numbness or pins and needles some days. Best thing I have found is Thermacare.

By the way, the "lumps" are very common-they are the muscles in a severe spasm. Sorry you get these too, but I think I would be more surprised if you didn't. Hot baths with a fizzy bath additive (like actibath) or a spa type attachment that bubbles seem to give some relief.
  9. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi to all of you and thank you for your help.

In one way i feel good that there are so many here that i can relate to, on the other hand i'm so sorry also if you know what i mean.

I have a high pain threshold also, i've been copeing with all this for as long as i can remember, i learned a long time ago to ignore pain because i had to work, my Dr doesn't know the half of it, i think she is looking at me as if i've horns because i have to visite her almost every week, lucky we don't have to pay for health over here if your income is under a certain amount. Dr's fees, Hospital
    and all medication is free, but when i think about that i've been contributing to the state by working 30 years.

Thank you all again for your help i've learned a hell of a lot since coming here, i'm here just a few days, you are all great and supportive, i appreciate you all.

Bronagh.
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have 2 bulging discs that go along with the DDD L4-L5 , L5-S1 and my legs are achey all the time. I hvae a pain in my right thigh that feels like someone has sluged me with a hammer and it radiates down my legs in to the knees on to the foot. I also get this pain in my back that is a sharp stabbing feeling that flowing in to my buttocks and down around my right thigh and it will burn , sting , stabb and make me feel like I have last the feeling in the leg.

I was cleaning one day and i got out the shop vac to vacuum along the edge of the carpet and it burned in my back when i was doing the vacuuming but I really didn't think much of it as It always hurts when I vacuum. I wsa sore the rest of the day and I went to bed early as I hurt and took my soma and went to sleep. I suddenly woke up in extreame pain in my right calf but the strange thing was I had NO FEELING IN IT, I felt like I had been paralized as my knee would not move on it's own nor would my ankle and I could not move that leg adn I was horrified and so scared .
    What was going on with my body and I had no one to call and take me to the hospital as my hubby was out of town, so I started to rub the leg and gently massage the leg for about twenty minutes and suddenly I get the feeling from the sharp thingling that was going on in the leg thatit felt like it was asleep. I finally was able to stand on it and walk on it with in about 30 minutes. I have never had that happen again and I pray it does not happen.

I always have pain in my back most of the time it just plain just hurts . All the muscels are in knots or so it seems to be. My butt has a pain that hurts so bad and it goes in to the thigh. I have wondered why it is that I have this diease in my back but it is in my thigh and butt that the pain is in most of the time.

Since I have arthritis too in both knees, wrist, and my hips just hurt for the fun or it I guess.

If you ever saw me walk you would assume that I was 90 as I am limping and can't straighten up and my knees are hurting so badly { It feels like some one has hit me just below my kneecap and it has been hit hard and the it still has a pressure that feels like it is stopping me from walking} I just guess that I am falling apart now. I should have both knees replaced but ddue to the lack of money I am not going to have them done. And i have had one doctor ask about stablizing my back, but I have noticed something. I know several people who all have had bad backs and all have had surgery but the surgery seem s to make the pain worse and they have had to hae more surgery and it just keeps going on in the pain , surgery cycle so I really am not happy about it.

I am on pain meds and I have found out with me I should just leave it alone and not add to the pain. It takes me so long to heal with having fibro and CMP too wo why keep having surgery.
    thanks
    Rosemarie
  11. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I had back surgery on L4, L5 disc about 26 yrs. ago and ended up with an infection in my spine which took a year to clear up, and I was a complete invalid. Thank God I have a husband from heaven, he'd sleep on the floor by my hospital bed (at home) so he could hear me if I needed something, then he would feed me before he left for work to work 11 hours a day.

I always have back pain, but now I have spinal stenosis, degenerative discs, and sciatica nerve pain that I am currently battling. I've been having a horrible day with it, had to cancel plans to go out tonight and possibly tomorrow.

I am taking a muscle relaxtant and pain meds, sometimes they do no good, if you know anything I could try, I'd be grateful.

Just take one day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time.

Love
    Granny
  12. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I have degenerative disc disease with five herniated disc at C3-C7, also have posterior osteophytes and spondylosis (sp?). I saw a neurosurgeon in June, who told he wouldn't operate as there is no evidence of nerve root compression. And all the symptons like burning tingling, numbness and pain is caused by my FM and CFS.

hugs
    brit
  13. karalyn

karalyn New Member

I have Fibro and was diagnosed 3 yrs ago, i have had extreme back problems since i was young. I had xrays in Australia when i lived there and they said i must of been in a accident because of the state of my spine. I have suffered for 18 yrs, then ended up with Fibro 4 yrs ago. My Doctor here thinks i dont have anything wrong with my back??? Funny that!!! Ive asked for MRI and they wont do it, in case something is wrong then they said i may have to decide to have an operation. So they would rather ignore it!!! CAn u beleive it!! But i did see an American Fibro doctor who was in my town for 6 months, he treated me with injections of anesthsetic into my lumps in my spine.
    It is suppose to kill nerves so you can grow new ones. I think it worked well. The Doctor is from Utah and there is a Fibro Clinic there.
    I would also like to add that Homeopathy was truley ammazing at helping with Fibro. Powerfull stuff!!!
    Bye for now
  14. patru10

patru10 New Member

Yes I have both conditions. I have back surgery last Friday on L4-5 S1, and as soon as I awakened I could tell a difference in my back and leg.
  15. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Hi,
    I have moderate to severe fibro, and degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine, pretty bad from what my x-rays show. This is probably a result of the fractured L5 vertabrae I received in a car accident in 1981.

I also have osteoarthritis. Just a real bundle of joy, I am.

Cheers, nature
  16. petsrme

petsrme Member

I have DDD, scoliosis, arthritis in back and spurs. I have had those things since early twenties.
  17. spydergrl80

spydergrl80 New Member

I have broad base bulges and torn annuli between L4 and S1.. It really sucks. Not much to do for than pain but wait it out, unfortunately.
    Hannah
  18. butyoulookokay

butyoulookokay New Member

I had C5/6 DD so bad bone spurs were starting to rub my spinal cord. Dr. said I could become paralized. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep...wait, I never can sleep, I digress. Anyway, had spinal fusion surgery two years ago...still some pain but much, much better. I hope and pray for relief for all.
    H Michael
  19. Diannepebs

Diannepebs New Member

After so much pain starting from 1st epidsode at 14 years of age and then at regular periods until approx 18 years ago after suffering a whole year of continueing pain mainly in the right leg...I had a discectomy via micro surgery at the 'Old' Atkinson Morley Hosp. and a through spinal 'clean out'..Fantastic result for me and believe me an operation was the last thing I thought I wanted. Dianne
  20. Vickie79

Vickie79 New Member

Yes I have the same thing I was dx about 6 yrs ago and I cant work now becuz of it I have all the systoms that you do my is from top to bottom of spine I lots of knots in my back hurts when it is hot outside I can defintly identify with you. hurt like the devil some days I know what you are going thru my hubby doesnt understand Fibro really adds to the pain I hope you are pain free today