Anyone here with unremarkable MRI of spine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vannafeelbettr, Sep 30, 2008.

1. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I have 2 bad discs.... one herniated and one severely degenerated. I know this is a source of chronic pain for my body, which would cause my ANS to be put into overdrive.... hence creating all the pain misfiring over my body, leading to a dx of FMS. I just wonder too, if pain in upper body and upper limbs is just syptoms from spine being pulled out of whack. Which leads me to wonder if anybody with a perfect, heathy spine/discs would be a sufferer of this disease as well....
  2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Sorry, I'm not free of spinal damage, but just wanted to put some of my thoughts on the subject.

I believe that spinal damage or spinal trauma is one of the triggers, or possibly causes of FM.

Since finding that I have two bulging discs in my neck, I have found that there is some percentage of people with FM, who only developed FM after spinal damage.

Often this is after a car accident, or after an operation(discs can be damaged while under anaesthetic,as the muscles are unnaturally floppy).

However, I believe that there are those with FM who claim to have no obvious spinal damage.

FM is not just pain, but involves changes to brain chemistry, blood circulation in the brain, spinal fluid changes, leaky gut syndrome, and more. Therefore I don't think it's just the pain from the damaged discs that trigger the FM(although I can't suggest any other way that it is triggered).
  3. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

But also nothing major. I've had back problems since a car accident in 1996, but it was typically only around my period. Most of the rest of the time, it didn't bother me that much. Nothing serious shows up on my MRI... Just a little narrowing in the neck area and in my lower back... Maybe a little something else, but nothing major...