Anyone here work with Epstein Barr Virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 20, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I work in a research laboratory and work with live Epstein Barr Virus every day. I am sure that is part of the reason my EB antibody levels are so high.

Of course, I handle it very carefully and follow proper safety protocols. I've gone through proper training. I wear gloves and work in a biosafety cabinet.

I've always thought there was a link between how I feel and my high EB levels. I have FM.

Does anyone else work with live Epstein Barr Virus?

Katy
  2. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Lived with it since mono at 16.
    If you work with it have you found anything that kills it?????
    Dee50
  3. cindy41

cindy41 New Member

when I got sick. Came down with walking pneumonia and never seemed to get better. My EBV titers have been high ever since. Also high CMV and tested positive for TB. That was 14 years ago. I also got the Hep B vacination around the same time. I have always suspected that is where this whole thing started for me.
  4. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

I had mono when I was 16 and suffered high ebv ever since. But... I learned the interesting fact that they said 98% of populations has high ebv by the time they reached to 40. I do not know if that is true or not. I found it out by visited the internet sites.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Here is what I remember from my Immunology class in college (bear with me because that was 25 years ago):

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) is considered an antigen. Antigen is a very broad term. An antigen is anything that stimulates an immune response. We are exposed to many, many antigens in our lifetimes. Examples of antigens are pollen, mold, bacteria and viruses.

When we are exposed to any antigen, our immune system kicks in and we form antibodies. These antibodies attack and destroy the antigen. So, when we are exposed to EBV, our bodies form EBV antibodies.

IgM is the antibody that is formed as a primary response to an antigen. IgG is the antibody that is formed as a secondary response to an antigen. So the first time you are exposed to an antigen, you form IgM. If you are exposed to that same antigen again, your body will form IgG.

Blood tests for EB are actually measuring EB antibodies, not live EB. Your blood test results will say something like “EBV AB” which means Epstein Barr Virus Antibody.

I’m still trying to sort out the EBVCA (Epstein Barr Viral Capsid Antibody) vs. EBNA AB (Epstein Barr Nuclear Antigen Antibody) vs. EBV EA (Epstein Barr Viral Early Antigen). I’ll post when (if) I get that figured out.

I would agree that 98% of the population has antibodies to the EBV. I think what is unusual is that some people have very high levels of the antibodies. If we have all been exposed to EBV and all have antibodies, then why are some people’s levels so much higher than others?

As far as “killing” the EBV, I am working in a laboratory and use live EBV. When I need to dispose of it, I use bleach. Of course, I am NOT saying you should use bleach in or on your body!! That would be very, very bad!!

Hopefully, that wasn’t TMI. I’m not a med tech, so I don’t know what all the actual lab results numbers mean. I’m still trying to sort it all out, just like most others here on this board.

Thanks for your input!

Katy
  6. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

How high do they want the epstein bar virus numbers on the SS disability? I have it and have apparently had it along time. My test was 5.81. I haven`t applied for disability yet but probably will sometime in the future. I was wondering if that was considered high or moderate?

My doctor at the FFC in Dallas said many people with FM/CFS do have an actve epstein bar infection.
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member