Anyone herx getting off guaifenesin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cakedec, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I ran out of guai (12 hour) last weekend and have felt like I have a virus ever since. Woke up Tues. night with sweats, nausea, fever, felt like I would pass out. Have been feverish ever since.

Just wondering if anyone else had symptoms when stopping guai? I suppose I could go back on it, but hate to think that I am addicted to it!!

Deb
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

That all sounds like withdrawal symptoms to me.Its what I had when I came off oxcycotin.

I had sweats fever and vomiting.This all went on for 3 days than took me about another 4 to feel my normal self.

I would check with my doctor to make sure thats what it is.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Sue
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Stopping the Guai could cause either Herxing or withdrawal, in the same sense as a narcotic. Sometimes, the help provided by the Guai is so subtle that we don't realize how much it is helping. It is only when we stop taking it or it is blocked that we realize just how much it has been helping with the pain. I've been on the Guai for more than six years now and if it is blocked, I will definitely feel the pain.

People can become addicted to anything but, again, I doubt one would become psychologically addicted to it as one might to an opiod. What you are describing sounds like a flare and this could follow stopping the Guai. Guaifenesin has very, very few side effects. I do believe, though, that the Guai works in other ways in addition to those theorized by Dr. St. Amand. Or, you could simply be suffering from a virus.

It wouldn't hurt to call your doc, especially if you continue to run a temp. You can also go to fibromyalgiatreatment.com and e-mail Claudia. She is very good at getting back to questions within 24-48 working hours.

Just curious as to why you haven't replaced the Guai and continued to take it, at least until you get your questions answered regarding physical dependence versus addiction. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

Thanks, Mikie and Sue,

I took it easy for a couple of days after the episode without the guai and got better. My husband also had an upset stomach, so we think it was a virus, although mine was much more severe than his. Maybe it was a combination with going off the guai.

I was quite surprised because had been off the guai before without any reactions. I mainly took the guai to keep my sinuses running and infection free, but taking the garlic seems to have cleaned them up and they aren't any worse without the guai. Of course, it remains to be seen if the FMS pain will return more severely without it. Our financial stress is severe and every medication I can cut has got to go.

Will keep you posted on how it goes without it.

Deb
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

COSTCO sells the fast acting Guai very, very cheaply. That's where I get mine now.

For anyone who may not know, the Guai will work for phlegm to thin it but if one wants the FMS benefits, one must adhere to the Guai Protocol. There are a very few who can just take the Guai and it helps with FMS but most of us have to eliminate salicylates in our meds, supplements, and personal-care items. In addition, if we garden, we must wear gloves. This is especially important in the beginning. One must read Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" to understand the treatment protocol.

I can tolerate a few sals before the Guai is blocked. Also, if something blocks the Guai for me, it only blocks about 12 hrs. instead of the 24 hrs. it usually blocks in others. We are all different but until we know our sal tolerance, it is important to be sal free.

Deb, I'm glad you are doing better.

Love, Mikie