Anyone IGA deficient?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tscattaglia, Aug 22, 2006.

1. tscattaglia

tscattaglia New Member

IGA is in the blood I have zero in my body, and nothing can help it, any one else out there?
  2. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the classes of Immunoglobulins (aka. antibodies), there are five.

IgM is the first line of defense - it is shaped like five Ys stuck together by their "stems" with the ten "arms" sticking out.

IgG is the secondary responder, shaped like a Y and can cross the placenta. A newborn infant cannot make it's own antibodies, this is one of the types that a baby will have during the first days of life.

IgA is a "secretory" antibody, shaped like two Ys stuck tail-to-tail. It is found in saliva, tears, and breastmilk. This is the antibody type that an infant can acquire from its mother through breastfeeding.

IgE is primarily reactive in allergic reactions and parasitic infestations. It is a single Y-shape

IgD has no known functions. It is also a single Y-shape.

IgA deficient people often are plagued by sinus problems, upper respiratory illness (sore throats, colds) and ear infections.

My doctor thought I may be IgA deficient, but it turns out I have a low IgM level. When doctors test your blood for immunity to a disease (such as measles), they are looking for IgM, because that is the one that will be expected to respond to an invading "germ". When my immunity was checked because I work in a hospital, my results came back that I was not immune to the common illnesses (measles, mumps, chicken pox) even though I had been vaccinated. Only when they gave me a booster and took the level a month later could they see the response (in a month IgG will be present). In a year I will be negative again. My doctor says that a low IgM level is not associated with any known illness, so it is not important (RIGHT...)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2006]
  3. tscattaglia

tscattaglia New Member

4. jake123

jake123 New Member

My mother was IgG deficient and she had FM and Addison's. I was tested on everything and they were all okay but that was 30 years ago when I was well and foxy.
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

and throughout the years he was very ill he had no measurable serum IgA. He is very prone to infections as a result, so often requires ABx etc. Probiotics help keep the number of GI tract infections down and he's learning more about alternatives.

It's not as serious as some of the IgG deficiencies.

In IgA deficiency there is a major risk of analphylactic shock if immunoglobulin IVs are given; so that's why most doctors prefer not to attempt treating it. An IgA deficiency will make you more prone to chronic infections.

My son is 90% recovered now, despite his IgA deficiency, but he does seem to have a different response to infections doing the rounds. He keeps learning the hard way that diet and lifestyle influence his resistance generally.

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2006]
  6. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I have IgG deficiency, I am sick with infections all the time. Not sure if I am going to have the IV IG thereapy. It cost approx. $3,000.00 each time (once a month) and my insurance doesn't cover it. I cannot afford it, I am trying to get medicaid until I can get approved for SSD.

I am sick with infections all the time. I just finished 4 weeks of IV antibiotics at home. A week later I was sick again.

I am hoping that I can get approved for disability because of this and Asthma etc.

Angie