Anyone Improved From A Sugar-Free Diet????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jasmine, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hello Everyone!
    I'm planning on going sugar-free this Fall and was wondering if anyone improved their CFS/FM from a completely sugar-free diet.

I love my chocolate bars and ice cream and have been eating too much sugar this summer. I'm enjoying my Summer but want to improve my diet in the Fall. I know all that sugar is very bad for my adrenal exhaustion problems. Need to give up my Chocoholic ways! LOL!

Also I need to find some good substitutes for chocolate and other goodies without the sugar and strange chemicals. Anyone eating any yummy sugar-free stuff that they could recommend?

Have yourself a Good Day with lots of chocolate!

Love, Jasmine

2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've been sugar-free since May 9th, plus pretty much starch-free also, and have lost 26 lbs, have had almost ZERO anxiety, zero pain, and most of the time I sleep better than I have since I was a kid. I do have to attribute this to cutting out all processed foods. The only starch I get is from some vegetables, and on rare occasion, I have a slice of "WHOLE" wheat toast, not wheat toast, "WHOLE".... We must have some starches to be healthy, and there are alot to choose from. However, I don't think we really need the sugar, since our body always takes care of that.

(I am looking forward to adding an occasional smoothie to my diet this fall.)

Marilyn :)
  3. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I eliminated sugar and refined grains for 3 months and saw no real improvement. I do, however, note that when I eat too much sugar I feel unwell.

Others have said they have had good results with sugar free diet. Best of luck. Tulip
  4. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I'm on day # 4. So far I can sleep better at night and can skip my nap. I have seen no improvement in pain yet. I love and crave carbs so I am trying really hard! I am eating cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, meat, etc. All those things I hate!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This helps satisfy the craving for chocolate. Buy unsweetened cocoa powder and mix with Stevia or SomerSweet sweetener in decaf coffee. Add some cream and pour over ice. This is also good hot.

A little square of dark semi-sweet cooking chocolate is another alternative. It contains fewer carbs than regular chocolate but is rich enough that you don't need much.

Suzanne Somers has delicious dessert recipes which are lo carb.

Love, Mikie
  6. pattipatsdd

pattipatsdd New Member

Hi..I've had FMS for years & am constantly struggling with sugar, and weight gain, pain etc.....One of the things that has really helped me is Agave Nectar, a liquid sweetener made from cactus. It's recommended by the Ntl. Diabetic Assoc. as a low glycemic sugar for diabetics. It's also so sweet that I eat very little when I use it & the taste is very satisfying I get it @ health food or whole food markets. Try their web site if you can't find it..wwwsweetcactusfarms.com. I've also tried Suzanne Somers sweetened chocolate...that I eat in VERY small amounts, because in more than one truffle or square,it causes stomache cramps...therefor I eat it rarely (available @ hsn.com). Also I use Lindt chocolate--the 85% cocoa bar...I can't seem to get totally off but don't have chocolate cravings on a moderately fat & high protein diet with lots of fruit(especially berries) & vegies...hope this helps.LOL pattip
  7. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

If you find something that works let me know. If I were to give up food's right now, that didn't have some sugar in it, I don't think I'd be as Sweet as I am. lol.

Actually, a Friend of mine tried to get me on a sugar-free diet, till I started losing to much weight, and she was also amazed that the only thing that I do eat that is sweet, Mainly are the Cherry Pies, that we all know, I won't give up. It's the only thing that keeps my weight up.

Ask LynneH the next time you talk to her or Sue or Ellie, they all think I'm Anxeric, it's not that, I just can't eat the food's that other's eat. It's not cause I don't want to, just not interested. So I really need my Cherry Pie.

The Chicken and the Carrot's have no sugar in them, and neither does the Creamer I use, it's nofat and no Cholesterol.

Make sure that your Doctor know's your going to do this sugar free diet. Somethimes it can cause other Problems, so you might want to go slow with it.

I tried all thoes sugar free Puddings and IceCreams, and I could digest them either.
    Fruits when Ripe are great for natural Sugar, but it hard to find Fresh, and I mean Real Fresh Fruit unless you grow it your self or have a Friend that grow's them.

Beside's what else are you going to enjoy so much, as Ice Cream when it's so Dang Hot! ;o> I ate some at Lynne's the night before I left, and I had an IBS attack, but that's what I get for eating, "Dryer's, Choc. Carmel Ripple?", like who could resit that? Naughty Naughty Lynne> lol, lol.
    I just spent another night out at a cute Motel and rested, so it wasn't to bad. The Traffic caused the rest of the IBS flare from Hell.
    Do not take Hwy 99, it made my stomach ache like crazy.

Glad to see your enjoying the Summer.

Sincerely,
    sharon
  8. FranWi

FranWi New Member

I do a lot of fish and veggies and some fruit because I do need a little sweet. I was a total sugar-lover, and lived on empty carbs. I had really bad abdominal pains, which I blamed on IBS, but with the sugar and carb reduction and adding pro-biotics (the friendly bacteria) and digestive enzymes, that pain was greatly reduced. My FMS pain is also milder when compared to the terrible pain I'd been suffering. I'm also taking plenty of vitamin C, Calcium-Zinc-Magnesium supplements, and a daily multi-vitamin at night.

My two fave dishes now are Tuna Steaks fried in a bit of olive oil and sea salt with sesame seeds, each side cooks until the steak is gray and the inside is still pink. Doesn't taste fishy at all, tastes like steak to me! And I love doing a quick stir-fry. Again I start with some olive oil and just throw in minced sweet onion, fresh broccoli, sliced zucchini, snap peas, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, shrimp, lemon, garlic, sea salt, cashews - yum!

I can definitely feel it when I do eat something inappropriate - instead of the usual dieter's guilt, I end up in a flare.

I think you'll feel the difference if you stick to it - not just substituting artificial sweeteners or pre-packaged products.

:)

Fran

9. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I just started on the hypoglycemia diet 14 days ago, so I'd say it's too early to tell. I do seem to be feeling better but that could just be a normal remission, until I work too hard again. We'll see.

I'm going by the Hg diet printed on Dr. St.Amand's website and according to him it's OK to eat the Atkins Diet bars. I'm going to try one next month. They are small and cost $2.59 at our local grocery store, so it will have to go a long way!

I don't miss the sugar that much but I do miss something that will stick to my ribs! I get full, but I don't stay that way. I plan to stay on the strict diet for 2 months, then eat some of the carbs on the liberal list. I'd kill for a sandwich right now!!

JoAnn
  10. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've gone several months w/o sweets & w/o Equal or it's equivalent. I didn't change how I felt at all. I do drink at least 64 oz. of water everyday & that does seem to help. dolsgirl
  11. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I attribute my improvement to my diet change, as that's almost all I'm doing. I take guai for breathing easier, that's all. My diet is not only no sugar, but also very low- carb. My Dr. gave me the diet. It's a modified Atkins specifically for CFIDS.
    It took quite a few months to really kick in, so persevere with it! But I suddenly realized I had more energy than I've had for years, I can tolerate the heat and humidity,and many of my symptoms had simply disappeared.
    BTW, I was brutally strict with this diet. My Dr. said that EBV, which I have, feeds off sugar and carbs. I want to starve it out!
    Anyway, that's my experience. My advice is to go totally no sugar. If you have any, you will crave more. Cut it out completely. You will lose the desire for sweet foods in only days. Things taste so much better when you can really taste them!
    Mad
  12. Gran9

Gran9 New Member

I have been totally off refined sugar for 4 months (and reduced carbs) and have definitely felt better. Before I ate candy (mostly chocolate) every night so it wasn't easy for me. At least at first. I have CFIDS only, no FM. My fatigue has improved and flu-like symptoms have disappeared. I try to stay away from artifical sweetners and eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Have also cut out red meat. Occassionally, I have a little yougart and fresh fruit or peanut butter and wheat crackers or angel food cake for snacks. Give it a try! What have you got to lose.
  13. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Thanks everyone for motivating me towards a sugar-free diet. I copied down all your tips and will keep them handy when I start my new diet to help keep me going. Have A Good Weekend!

And a special hello to Sharon. Wow, Sharon, you just eat chicken, carrots, and cherry pie. That must help keep your cooking simple but I'll bet your husband eats everything. My diet is very limited due to severe food allergies so I do eat some pretty weird stuff myself. That's why going sugar-free is going to be very difficult for me. I've got to find some good subsitute foods that I'm not allergic to before I start.

Love, Jasmine