Anyone in college?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBrandywine, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I started college back in August and Im having a terrible time with trying to cope with panic attacks and exhaustion..
    Im seriously thinking of withdrawing already.. It is really hard and after being out of school for 30 some yrs.. Its totally overwhelming!
    Just today I had to leave a class for I couldnt breathe. I tried doing slow deep breathing but it didn't help.!
    I'm full time but I just don't know if I can handle going anymore..
    My question is tho..If there are some of you going .. What steps have you taken to help any of this problem?
    Thanks in advance..
    Today is the second time that I have had to leave. then I come home and sleep for a few hours..
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

and as I did complete college as an adult, I know it's a difficult task. I did not have FM or an anxiety disorder when I attended. But, I do now.

I have medication to take for panic attacks, and I was wondering if you do, also? They help me a lot.

Also, is the first part of the semester? I used to go to classes during the first, and when the profs were telling about the class and things were all new and not familiar, I felt like dropping out because I thought I could never do it. But, as I went along, it became easier and easier, and pretty soon, the semester was over. The trick was to take it one step at a time.

I don't know if this helps, but let me encourage you to hang in if you can...it might a very rewarding experience; it was for me.

Hugs,
    Sue
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Yes.. its my first year.. By the time I finish.. I will be 54..going on 55.. then I wonder too.. who in the world is going to hire me at that age.. I should have thought more on this before enrolling.

If I up and quit now. I have been told that I will have to repay the grant money.. the only way out of that is if I withdraw.. that or see if I can take the classes online.
    I have to call the counselor there in a few minutes. They are on their lunch break right now..
    I give you lots of credit for going and completing your schooling Sue. My sister went back but she was only 41 and she didnt have a hard time with going to school and getting high grades. I had to wrack my brain.. just got get passng grades. I haven't been tested but I think that I have the adult attention deficit disorder. My mind just doesn't want to stay at one level or on the same topic for long.. seems to be getting worse as I get older.. Maybe not but it seems like it ..
    Thanks for replying back to me..
    Hugs
    Deb
  4. jenemc

jenemc New Member

i am 49 and iam taking courses on line now. I couldn't handle being in class, plus the drive, which is 55 miles one way, so after driving and sitting in classes all day then drive back home, it became too much for me.

i enjoy my online classes better, i can do them whenever i can and do them at my time instead of theirs. maybe this is something for you to look into.

jennie
  5. terra329

terra329 New Member

I amn not sure if you are in a four year degree or doing a Grad degree program. I started small in a community college and then moved to a four year. They were both city schools and there were people in my class that could not put a simple sentence together and they were not even ill! So I did well in those schools. My problems came when I went to grad school. My prof. told me I could not write and I had big problems with deadlines. I only did what I needed to do to get by. I only read things I needed to report on - that helped a bit. I made sure I went to PT every week and I did nothing but school. I had friends check my work and had to get prof. help with other things. I wanted to walk out many times but good friends got me through it one day at a time.
    However, right after Grad school I got really sick and have not been able to do a darn thing. Now my long term disability insurance found out I went to grad school and they are giving me a hard time. School is not work but that falls on def ears with insurance companies. I have no idea what the hell is going to happen. We all know stress is real good for this crazy illness we have.
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I'm taking one writting course this semester.

A few years ago, I took some classes and barley made it through them, it was before I was dx with the FMS.
    I had , 3 operations, and was on Vicodin, so I thought my cognitive problems were being caused by them.
    But no, it was FMS.

I find it's hard to concentrate now, so I thought this would be a good course, and I talk alot so, I should be able to write some stories for class.
    You'd think.
    I've been stuck on my first assignment, can't keep it on track, just like here, lol.

Good luck to you, can you drop some of the classes without having to get into Red tape with the Student loans?

I went through the Disabled students department, they made it so much easier to register, no lines, ;o)
    Plus it helped with my getting the Fees waived.
    I was seperated from the DH at the time, and it made it possible for me to get the Fees waived.
    Have you gone this route? If so, shouldn't be to much of a problem.

I admire your attempting this, and I hope you are able to do this.

I studied Photography when I turned 40, then I opened my own Studio, but had to fire myself, I was losing it, and talk about Stress.
    But I Cherish that time, and so glad I did go back, when I was an Old Lady, lol.

Sharonk
  7. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

When I called today to speak with a counselor..The only thing she could come up with was if I withdrew that I could take 1 online course of arts and appreciation? Sheesh.. it is the only one she said that didnt require a preprosition or how ever she called it. If I withdraw.. I have to pay back 75% of the money that was given to me already.. which was 2025 and that was for tuition and books. I had 57.00 after buying books for gas.. and that went thru the car real fast.. with the gas prices.!

I am on Social Security Disability now and when I asked if this can cause any problems with me being on that with going to school.. The woman said no.. it was totally different when it comes to money for school of any type.. So on that regard, I guess that Im ok .. I guess, from what info she give me.

As for online courses. I have to be able to be on collge level reading. math and english.. Im in the English class just above highschool level... the math is pre-algebra .. The reading is college level reading and that is really hard.. I have to read it over and over about 5 or 6 times to get any kind of idea of what it is all about... talk about feeling dumb on that one..
    I just know it sure isnt helping my self esteem.. or what is left of it.. and I feel so mentally and physically wiped out..
    I need to go get groceries but going to wait until tomorrow for Im just not even feeling up to doing that..
    Hopefully tomorrow I will feel some better . but for now.. I feel terrible..
    My mom called when I was laying down and when I told her she said well you cant stop now. you have to just go finish.. and forget about feeling bad.. arg... I know shes trying to help but it makes me feel more pressured on knowing what to do.
    I do get so bored being home.. It isnt fun not being able to work.. I want to work.. and its hard to meet someone who wants to be with someone who has this dreadful disease or syndrome or whatever they want to call it!..
    SOrry for feeling so down and depressed here.. I dont usually get like this but lately , just cant seem to shake it with this going on. Makes me feel helpless and just stressed!.. which I know doesnt help the fibro..