Anyone in Northern Ca. get flare ups this time every year?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by june-bug, Oct 21, 2005.

1. june-bug

june-bug New Member

2 years ago I developed Fibromyalgia. It was mid October and still hot. Buzzing Stabbing tingling Nerve sensations and numbness in my face mostly but also all over my body had been my dominant symptom as well as muscle twitches and scalp pain (like someone hit me on the head). By February I was still symptomatic but WAY less severe until mid September
    (still hot out so it wasnt weather change) when the same nerve sensations took me over again. Once again they lessened by spring but this time only somewhat until this September when I am overtaken by the neurological symptoms once again!!! I have other symptoms such as crippling fatigue that comes & goes. Muscle spasms, sleep trouble, random pains, pressure in my ears,TMJ, light headedness, flaky rashes on scalp, hair loss that comes & goes, IBS/reflux much more etc. but for some reason these scary nerve thingies are the worst ever maybe because they dominate in my face/skull. What is it with the time of year that worsens these?? some thing in the air , like a certain allergin or fertilizers?If you have any input, please reply.
    Much Thanks,
    June Bug
  2. june-bug

june-bug New Member

anyone out there?
  3. michella

michella New Member

I also have noticed that every year mid-sept-oct I get a major flare with very similar symptoms. I feel horrible right now. Ive got CFIDS but again many symptoms are the same as the ones you just described. I don't know why but I wanted to let you know that your not alone.
  4. Tiger69

Tiger69 New Member

Dear Junebug,

I live in Medford, Oregon and have had Fibromyalgia for 3 1/2 years now. I moved up here from Monterey, CA in Jan. 2004. I am experiencing a Fibro flare up now, but the pain seems be calmed by Cymbalta. I'm hoping my doc will take me up to the 120mg (2 60Mg capsules daily). I'm on 30mg and am starting to notice a difference. In about another week I go 60mg daily. That's all the higher she has me for now. Before I started the Cymbalta, I was having chronic pain in my back, shoulder, and hips. I am still having muscle spasms and trouble sleeping. I need a new sleep med. Any suggestions? Right now I'm on Halcion and Lunesta. Does anyone know anything about Ambien CR? I am also recently diagnosed by the gastro doc with Small Intestine BActerial Overgrowth and am trying to find an antibiotic that I can tolerate. So far, the two he wants me to take, doxycycline and erythromycin, I'm allergic to. Any suggestions? I, too get flare-ups this time of year with the weather change and am having numbness in my left leg and both hands and tendonitis in both hands that flares up every other year or so, sometimes sooner.
  5. june-bug

june-bug New Member

I wish I knew why we feel so bad right now. Meds are tricky for me because Im so sensitive to side effects. They usually aggrivate my migraines or make me lose my hair. Ironically Im going through a fairly good sleep cycle now. My insomnia comes in spurts. My doc prescribed elevil for sleep. It works but Im zombified the next day. Usually I take my ativan if Im having trouble sleeping (my doc would probably not approve as they are highly addictive and should be taken only for a BAD panic attack). Oh well! Did you try neurontin before the cymbalta? I take neurontin but my doctor mentioned cymbalta in the event I feel neurontin isnt helping.I hope these horrorible flare ups disappear soon. June Bug
  6. Tiger69

Tiger69 New Member

Dear june-bug,

I tried Elavil in the beginning 3 years ago and it didn't do anything, so I keep changing meds everyso often. I've also tried Trazodone (didn't work either), Ambien works, but it is expensive, Restoril 15mg worked the longest (about a year 1/2), then I,m on Lunesta and HAlcion and they've quit working now. I also take my Xanax at night with The Lunesta or the Halcion, but my doc doesn't know. It gives me about 4 to 5 hrs sleep, but I wake up at 3 a.m. and cannot get back to sleep. I see my doc on Halloween and I'm going to ask about Ambien CR? Does Neurontin help with sleeping all night? I've never tried it.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll ask doc about Neurontin, too when I see her Oct. 31.

Tiger69
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear June-bug,
    I used to get a flare-up in the spring, with arthritis the worst culprit. But the past few years, that flareup has come in the fall, again with Fibro smptoms, and with the arthritis the worst.

I don't really now the cause, but I think it's baromatric pressure changes.

Sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you feel better this winter.

Hugs,
    Terry
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I live just south of Fresno.. I always start having more trouble about this time of year with my joints and raynaulds.. It's cooling down here to 70's and 80's after a summer of 100's.. also allergies act up this time of year, and I catch anything going around.. now I know down here they are spraying the cotton and it causes a lot of problems for anyone with allergies.. If you are in an agricultural area as most of the northern state is then yes, you could be having trouble with the sprays they use in the fields..
    Hugs.. dona