Anyone in Oregon?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mistyd96, Dec 19, 2006.

1. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

We are looking at moving to Oregon.....Portland has the most job opportunities for my hubby, but would love to hear the good, bad, and ugly about the state. Any areas better than others? Cost? School systems?

Thank You so much!!!!

2. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I cant recall names off the top of my head just now though.

I live outside of Portland on the west side of washngton county.
    I love Oregon, love its greeness. think costs are not out of line, gas is more though.

I am out of the school system kids are grown.

Surely someone else will have some feedback, if not now after christmas when things slow down.

Best wishes,

BILLCAMO New Member

Has many PWF's & PWC's...

Portland has several good Drs. for these DD's..

There's much more rain than Vegas there..

School systems good...(On average).

Costs most likely lower than Vegas...

West side (i.e. Portland) more liberal than east
    side of state....

Wages above average for skilled workers in a Portland....but not as good as Calif...

Blessings , b/c
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I live in S.F. but have a former Wife there as well as

a Daughter. If ya can ignor or like the moister, it is

a most beautiful place. The economy is fairly limited

and believe incomes in comparison to many places are as

well. But life is a trade off at times.

Foggyfroggy as well as Fredericka live there. Others

also that I can't immediately bring to mind.

Portland especially is a nice City in a beautiful setting!

It most likely has the most in the way of opportunity to

make a Living with it's more diverse commerce etc.

Hope all goes well for you and the Family.

6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hi Misty,

I live an hour or so south of Portland. It's a beautiful city - has been on the 'most liveable' lists lots of times. Lots of parks and bike paths, good entertainment and arts.
    Good medical, fair schools (funding isn't great but better than many places). Costs moderate,though housing prices are artificially inflated because of the constant influx of Californians who have lots of dough from the sale of their home. I didn't look at where you are from so this may be either good (if you are from CA) or bad if you are from anywhere else :)
    The only drawback is the winter weather. Wet wet wet and gloomy.

Hope this helps, and if you wind up moving here, welcome!

7. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

OK, just looked at where you're from. It's about as opposite as can be here on the west side lol. Green is the word. Summers are nice and dry and moderate in temperature though. I didn't realize before that you were asking about all of Oregon.
    East side is dry and hot in summer, cold in winter. They actually get snow, which the west side does not usually.
    As Joe said, east side is much more conservative, mostly ranching communities except Bend, which is booming and expensive.
    Corvallis (west) is a fairly conservative college town - not overly friendly but the schools are pretty good. Housing fairly high.
    Albany (west)is smaller, cheaper, schools are varied - some ok, some not so.
    Eugene (west) very liberal college town, schools are pretty good also.
    I haven't been in southern Oregon as much, but the retirement crowd has moved in there so prices are high.

That's everything I know and probably more than you wanted lol!

8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Oregon has great clam chowder. It also has the Oregon caves, fruit stands, knick knack stores, redwoods, tide pools, Haystack Rock... I love Oregon so much that I have a map of its coast taped over my bed. Out of the places I've seen, I always wanted to live there.
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

There's a good website for people considering moving here or there. Try Good for statistics, photos, etc. They also have a forum there so you can get the local scoop on things.

Hope you find a good place to live. I loved Oregon all year round. Being near the coast during the wet stormy winters was even more fun for me than visiting it during the summer. The sea tosses up all sorts of interesting things when it's stormy. Should be lots of fun for the kids.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2006]