Anyone in PA suffering from bad allergies right now?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes or No???
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I only take Allegra

Is there something more I could be taking for it

I am in western PA and the pollen count is very high (ragweed)
  3. jsmithpa

jsmithpa New Member

One company (Cobalis corporation) studied a new "drug" called Prehistin that was shown effective in a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinicial trial with 714 allergy sufferers. The active ingredient is cyanocobalamin, which is vitamin B12.
  4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I'm in Ohio and having a hard time. All three of my kids are on allergy meds as well right now.
    I take claritin 10 mg (allegra worked fine for me but insurance won't pay for it),
    singulair 10 mg, and a nasal spray, the name escapes me but it has a blue cap.
    If you know you are allergic to ragweed, the following foods can trigger your allergy and make it worse, especially the first two.
    Sunflower seeds
    Chamomile tea
    Honey (local)

I didn't even remember how much this affected me until earlier this week I experienced a bad reaction after eating some zucchini and carrots. I was surprised at how bad it got.
    There are other foods too, like cherries, almonds, peaches and carrots that are related to the birch tree, which is in season.
    I was just taking the Claritin when this happened but now I'm going to stick with the rest of the meds until the season ends.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

Hey thanks for the info!!

My goodness, all I eat is bananas!!!!!!!

It is at the point that I am not sure WHAT the heck to eat!

Good info!
  6. PainPainGoAway

You're welcome--
    I know what you mean. I've had to get really creative about food choices. Bananas are off limits for me year round, but everyone is different. I miss them!

I eat lots of blueberries and a small variety of
    of apples, nectarines, pineapples, and once and awhile, grapes and starfruit.

Between arthritis, allergies, and IC, there is a lot I have to turn down, but I still get to eat lots of good food.
    I hope maybe giving up the bananas for the rest of the season will give you some relief!
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

Really good tip for me, as sometimes I eat 2 bananas a day, and then wonder why I feel so miserable!!

I take it then, that apples and grapes are low allergen, along with the blueberries
  8. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I'm in Colorado and for the past week I'm either all stuffed up or have a runny nose. And alot of my customers here are having the same problem. The rag weed is high right now in our area.
  9. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I have had terrible allergies lately!!!!

I get allergy shots that helps but I didn't have a shot in 2 weeks. arg!
  10. PainPainGoAway

Hi Empower, are you getting any relief? I hope so! Yes, there are plenty of fruits that have no relation to the ragweed.
    You can google the information, I'm sure and look at what other foods would need to be avoided with any other plant type allergies if you have any additional allergies.
    I am allergic to just about everything growing around me.
    These foods by the way, are just "cousins" to the ragweed, so you're not necessarily allergic to bananas.
    Also, egg whites, shellfish, fish, red wine, chocolate, strawberries and some others I may have left out cause the body to release "histamines" so it could be mild, like itchiness or hives, or may not react at all if you take the allegra. Again, not food allergy, but an antagonist to the problem you're already dealing with.
    I learned all of this more than ten years ago when my allergist had a hard time treating me while pregnant. You should see my list!
    Also, STRESS can make allergies worse too.
    I hope you have found some relief.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Stress??? what is stress???

Actually, I haven't had a banana in a couple of days, and I feel a little better

Coincidence??? I don't know, but I truly appreciate the advise, since ragweed is my worst enemy

Funny how the stupid doctors (like my allergist) never tell you these kind of things!!!!