Anyone injured the sternoclavicular (SC) joint?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have no idea what I did to myself (probably too vigorous cleaning in preparation for a holiday guest), but I have somehow injured my SC joint --the place that the collar bone attaches to the sternum. The left joint area is swollen to about three times the size of the other, and I have never experienced such pain.

I woke up during the night hurting when the Lortab I have left over from a hip injury wore off. I got online to see if I could identify the culprit and figured out the problem. It is tender all the time, but when I pressed lightly on the area to try and determine the extent of the swelling, I nearly passed out. I ended up in the bathroom, hunched over the sink, nauseated from the pain.

Fortunately that passed, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. My husband had to pull me out of bed this morning because it hurts for me to do it myself.

This stuff always happens to me right before a weekend or holiday -- when my docs are out of touch and there will be several days before I can be seen. As long as I relax I'll muddle through, but as I get older, I'm finding parts of my body I never knew existed!!!
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry you are having a rough time and at Christmas probably makes it even worse.

Have you considered going to an ER just to rule out a serious injury? If not you might want to think about it...

I hope you feel better soon.

Try to have a restful and quiet Christmas,

Karen :)
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I think my best gift today was the nice, long nap I had this afternoon!

The pain has reduced by about half, and I'm icing down the area a few times a day.

I told my husband that if it was still hurting on Monday, I will go in to see my pcp. It does seem as if the knob where the clavicle meets the sternum is higher on the hurting side than on the other. When it is painful, the sensation goes up my neck and scalp over my ear. Weird!

Fortunately, today was a 'feast' day...meaning my husband and mother-in-law were in charge of cooking, so I really had a nice break to relax, and that helped a lot.
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

It sounds like you had a nice day.

Take care,

Karen :)