Anyone interested in a new support group in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WishBear, Mar 1, 2006.

1. WishBear

WishBear New Member

Hello,

My name is Erica. I’m 28-years-old and just moved to Seattle. I have FMS, but not so bad that I can’t work (usually). Point being is I would love to join a support group, but the only one’s I can find meet in the middle of the weekday. I was thinking of forming a support group for young (under 40), professionals in the area who have FMS. It would meet in the evenings (after work hours) or on the weekends, maybe even have some flexibility in meeting times. It would be informal, just us getting together and discussing how hard it is to achieve career goals when you have FMS, find people who understand—friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, relatives, etc.—who can understand, and anything else that might come up. If any one is interested, respond to this board. I live downtown and don’t have a car, so an ideal meeting place would be somewhere centrally located.
  2. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

HI! I might be very interested in that. I am sure you have heard of the ones at the local hospital?
    I have never been- I think they meet at 2 pm or something like that. Not a good time for me either.

Anyway... I live in Kirkland/Eastside area, the issue for me would be that I dont drive to Seattle ( stick shift car and too MANY hills) too much stress just to get there. Seems like transportation might be a problem for both of us.

Anyway thanks for bringing it up- if things could be worked out, I would love to join. I think it would be very helpful.

Take good care and welcome to the Northwest!!

Karen
  3. Musica

Musica New Member

I was so intrigued by your title! Unfortunately, I am not youngish :) And I live in Auburn, and it takes awhile to get downtown. It is hard when organizations with support groups or exercise programs don't take into account those who work. I hope you do find support. If you do start a group, I would caution you not to let it become too negative. Certainly, there are problems to discuss and things that need to be shared, but hopefully with the goal of being encouraged, not to be kept down or angry. I know someone who joined a support group that ended up being like that and it was a real downer for her.

Anyway, welcome to the Pacific Northwest, it is a great place to be!
  4. WishBear

WishBear New Member

Unfortunatly, I don't have a car, so getting to the suburbs on a regular basis is not going to work for me. Maybe if we could work out a meeting on the weekends...? I don't know if that will work for you, but if it will, let me know. Also, it wouldn't have to be every weekend. If you know anyone else who might interested, let them know.
  5. WishBear

WishBear New Member

I don't mean to exclude anyone here. It's just most of what I come across on message boards is people who are married with children, as opposed to single and trying to get a career started inspite of being tired and achy all the time. It would just be nice to connect with people who can directly relate to that situation.