anyone jaw cracks when you open mouth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaymelynn, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jaymelynn

jaymelynn New Member

this drives me crazy, everytime i open my mouth to eat or talk, my jaw cracks and eventually gets really sore and have difficulty opening and chewing.
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I believe it is from TMJ. But I hate the feeling too. I know what you mean about when you eat or talk. I don't even like chewing gum anymore.
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Mine doesn't pop when talking so much but if i yawn it pops and my kids won't even sit beside me when we eat cause they say it grosses them out. Shoot it grosses me out. lol.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

for years.

Grosses my son out and he's 23, wont sit beside me either when he comes to eat.

I dont have any pain though. Back of my neck creaks and cracks like that too.

love
    Rosie
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I just talked to my dr about it on Friday but I always ask that they do not put it in my charts because there is enough in there as it is.

He just said not to make it crack if I can help it because it will just wear the joint out faster. How can you help it????

Kelly
  6. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

When I was young, I chewed gum all the time. Dont know if that is what caused it. I find that when the pain is very bad with my fibro I tend to grit my teeth, especially at night. Then I have to consiously keep my teeth from touching when Im awake and that helps some. No more gum for me

Suzette
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have TMJ also and it also causes dizziness, headaches and ringing in the ears. I have always clenched my teeth and bit my lip and I have to consciously relax my jaw all day. Also, whenever I felt a panic attack coming on, I would chew,chew, chew the strongest gums I could find for distraction.

The jaw relaxation seems to have helped me - and no gum!!

Sue from Ontario
  8. GBHope

GBHope New Member

If I try to get food out from between my teeth, my ears ring. My jaw cracks if I open my mouth wide too.

GBHope
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Not only that but it crackles if i just go side to side.

Once, years ago, when I was a kid, I was eating one caramel candy after another. We did not get candy very often, as mum wouldn't allow it, but aunt gave me a box for birthday.

Anyway, I was on mytenth or so in a row, and my jaw locked open! I could not close my jaw. I pulled the candy from my mouth as my sister told me I was going to die as I had lockjaw! I was terrified and mum was out. Anyway, after rubbing at the joint there, there was a loud poppping sound and the jaw went back in.

I think this was the start of my TMJ, but also why I NEVER eat caramel candy!!!

Love Anne
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, I have TMJ, too.

You need to talk with your dentist about it and see if he can do anything to help you with it.