Anyone jogging?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by _ROO_, Aug 29, 2004.

1. _ROO_

_ROO_ New Member

I’m feeling so much better, thanks to the treatment I’m presently on. No serious flares in about 4 months, although I have no illusions that I am cured. I know that, most likely, I will be living with CFIDS for the rest of my life. I’ve been so terrified of ANY form of exercise for the past 12 months and so I am terribly out of shape. I should start walking, and I will. But there is something that I miss terribly, and that is jogging. And I would be so much more motivated to start walking, if I thought that it would lead to jogging again. Any of you able to jog? If not, but you’ve tried; let me know how it went, good or bad. At least it would give me an idea of what I’m up against.

Renee
  2. JoyMC

JoyMC New Member

Hi Renee,

This won't work if part of what you like about jogging is being outside and actually progressing in distance. BUT - I've been reading a lot about rebounding - otherwise known as jumping on a trampoline - and it is supposed to have 87% less impact on the body than jogging, but all the same benefits and more. Just a thought of something to look into if actually jogging proves too much. I do water exercise myself, and am thinking about getting a rebounder. Jogging would definitely be too jarring for me. But that's terrific that you're feeling well enough to consider it!!
  3. stagename

stagename New Member

haaaaahahahaha haaaaaahahahahah...

that's a good one. whew. oooh. thanks, i needed that.
  4. badpenmanship

badpenmanship New Member

I don't jog (hey, it's all I can do to walk!), however, I do ride an exercise bike and try to do 20 miles a day. (Not nearly as strenuous as it sounds) I won't deny that there are some days where I've had to cut it down to ten...I guess there are ways to exercise...and yes, I hurt sometimes! Okay, much of the time! ;)
  5. greatscot123

greatscot123 Guest

I have had CFIDS for 5 years now and am a jogger, if you can call it jogging! I get such a mental benefit from going outside and jogging that I push to do it. My doctor says there could be negatives to this (more fatigue), but for me that the positives outweigh the negatives. I would try to start slow and jog/walk alternatively and stop whenever you feel that you need to, some days are better than others. Good luck!
  6. ceres

ceres New Member

ohh how i wish i could:(..............:)ceres
  7. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

Be careful when you start to feel better and overdo it; ;you can set yourself back for months. That's what I did. I was feeling good for 3 months straight and I started swimming; that's suppose to be good for you. Well I pulled my upper rib out and I haven't been the same since. That's been about 3 months ago. I'm starting to feel better now but not the same. I bought an eliptipar machine to excercise at my home and do gentle stretches and that seems to be keeping the monsters at bay.

So just please please be careful. Jogging really does put alot of stress on your muscles. I use to do that as well and I just simply can't anymore. We do have to adjust to what our bodies are telling us or else we pay for it.

Good luck finding a solution for your body.

Bet2
  8. amejia

amejia New Member

I used to run 20 miles a week and I'm lucky if I can walk a block now. I miss it so....

Angie
  9. gnanny

gnanny New Member

Thats the only possible reason to wake up feeling like I have run the marathon!
  10. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Renee,

Mostly I walk and do yoga for exercise, but about once every week or two (on average), I have so much tension that this doesn't do it for me. Can't predict when it will happen, but I get on that treadmill intending to walk, and after 2 minutes, ramp up the speed. What a high! I actually feel normal for 2 hours!

Of course I wind up paying for it most of the time, but I figure I'm going to feel lousy anyway, so 2 hours of feeling good is worth it. A word of warning--I'm in great shape aerobically, and I track my heartrate to make sure I am in a safe range. I also stick to the treadmill, since the stride and surface is predictable and the one I use at the health club is well cushioned. I also started slowly, with maybe two minutes of running and the rest walking, just building up so that now I can run for 15-20 minutes straight on a good day. If I'm flaring, I won't try this--walking slowly is more my speed.

Good luck, and listen to your body. It will tell you how much you can do.

Hugs,
    Hilary
  11. baseline

baseline New Member

I'm walking 2k's (1.3 mls) morning and evening on my treadmill after gradually ramping up the distance over 4 months. This increases pain and aching in my legs and hips but it is something I am prepared to accept to improve. Jogging produces (for me) intolerable pain due to the impact on legs and hips, so, for now, it's out.

I think if you can jog for 2 mls a day without much pain or fatigue your in remission.

My fatigue, as distinct from aches and pain, has diminished by 75%. Why?

I can't be sure, but here's what i think.

My illness (CFS/FM) is due to infection. The infection causes inflamation resulting in symptoms.

So I have been treating the infection with Doxycycline and Famvir for 5 months, using Immunopro whey to strengthen my inmmune system, and Chlorella as a detox.

I recently switched from Doxy to Minocycline and had a massive herx on 100mg a day, so I'm just on 25 and will ramp this up over time.

I like the concept of the Marshall protocol, but it would be impossible for me to avoid all sunlight and still make a living.

Baseline.

12. _ROO_

_ROO_ New Member

I might not be able to attain it.... but I'll try. What can I say. I like walking, but I love jogging. Jogging gives me a rush that walking doesn't. And lately, I've been dreaming of jogging. Literally, as I sleep!

One thing is for sure; jogging is months off, since I have to be in good physical shape to even consider jogging again.

But I do want to thank you for your advice; it's nice to know that some are still able to maintain a good level of physical endurance. I should probably also note that I have many pains, but very little, compared to people with Fibro. I am "lucky" enough to only have Chronic Fatigue.

thanks again,
    Renée