Anyone just pay something awful for exercise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I have been trying to get in some kind of cardio shape
    but everytime I try to do something exercise wise, I feel
    like hell for several days. It is almost like someone threw
    acid on me. Tim
  2. Trishgray

Trishgray New Member

I have tried Yoga/Lates.. slight stretching and breathing, but when I have a flare, I don't even bother! May want to look into that! God Bless
    Trish
  3. tilla

tilla New Member

I try all different kinds of exercises and I know what you mean, afterward I feel so bad I don't want to try again. I have an eliptical rider in my house and I have to be very careful, if I go to fast on it - I really pay for the next few days. It is really hard to know your limit.

I have always played tennis but I don't seem to be as bad after that, except for some times. The pounding really gets me.

I would like to try walking again but my feet seem to always hurt so much. I have to be careful with stretching. I have done yoga but I must not do a full stretch with the movements or it sets off a flare.

Such fun. Keep trying, I am sure we will come up with something. I have heard that just bouncing on one of those big rubber balls is good, good for the core muscles and for some reason good for toxins to be released.

Tilla
  4. craziC

craziC New Member

I can't even exercise! I walked around the mall on Friday to do some shopping and I paid for it! UGH!!

Hugs,
    Cherbear
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

. . . of my pain is in my back it is really hard to exercise. I have an exercise routine that is done in a chair, but it involves deep breathing and some days that makes my back hurt worse than usual. If I feel good, I exercise in the morning. Some days I start and can't do it, other days I can do the whole thing and not have too much trouble. I don't expect it to be pain free, nothing is, but if I feel like I am doing damage or will really pay for it later, I just stop. I never take pain meds before I exercise, I don't want to mask any damage I might do.

Hugzzz!!
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

We cannot win it seems.
  7. tilla

tilla New Member

Here is a post I just read. I explains about rebounding, they mention doing it on a small trampoline but it is what I mentioned happens when you bounce on a rubber ball.

Hope this helps:

REBOUNDING - multiple benefits for FMers article by an FM warrior 08/10/04 04:59 PM

I've had my mini trampoline (rebounder) for over 20 years. Haven't used much although I learned the many health benefits years ago. My mom used it in her classrooms and private school to help children learn spelling words, math problems, etc.

I felt the urging to "resurrect" this easy exercise after my granddaughter visited for several weeks - she loves to bounce.

Anyways, I wanted to reread the many benefits of rebounding and came across a great website of an FMer who touts the benefits of rebounding. It is very important to use a good rebounder - not all are the same.

Sent with love, light and positive energy.

Lisa

ARTICLE----

Short List of Benefits:
    Rebounding is a gentle cellular exercise which strengthens and repairs muscles and tissues from the inside out.

Full Aerobic, Cardiovascular, and Strength Workout
    Rebound exercise is the only one that strengthens the liver, kidneys, bladder. Every organ in the body.
    Increases the capacity for respiration.
    Circulates more oxygen to the tissues.
    Establishes a better equilibrium between the oxygen required by the tissues and the oxygen made available.
    Increases the functional activity of the red bone marrow in the production of red blood cells.
    Improves coordination through the transmission of nerve impulses and responsiveness of the muscle fibers.
    It minimizes the number of colds, allergies, digestive disturbances, and abdominal problems.
    Aids lymphatic circulation, as well as the flow in the veins of the circulatory system.
    Improved Balance
    Improved Muscle Tone
    Significantly Less Shock (Trauma) To Joints (joints in feet, legs, hips, etc.) Than using a Treadmill or walking outside
    Significantly Less Shock (Trauma) to your Back than using a Treadmill or walking outside
    Can Be Use By Injured, Disabled, and Elderly
    Excellent For Rehabilitation
    Convenient
    Great Starting Point For The Sedentary
    Improved Circulation and Immune Function
    Recommended By Trainers, Chiropractors, Doctors, and Physical Therapists
    Works Well With Existing Exercise Equipment For A More Complete Workout
    Large Varieties of Exercise Routines For All Levels
    ENHANCES LYMPHATIC CIRCULATION - In his book "The Miracles of Rebound Exercise", Al Carter says rebound exercise has been found to be the most efficient method of lymphatic circulation stimulation because it yields the greatest change in pressure for the least muscular effort. At the bottom of the bounce, the valves are closed. Poisons and toxins are being squeezed out from between the cells. As the body bounds up, valves are still closed, toxins are loosened from the cells; nutrients are passed from lymph to the cells. At the height of the bounce, the body is weightless, valves are open. As the body descends, fluid flows, sucking toxins out and away from the cells to be eliminated by the lymph system.

STIMULATES THE IMMUNE SYSTEM - The lymphatic system has been called the vacuum cleaning system of the body, the garbage collector of the body, and the immune system. Lymph fluid circulates through a system of tubes and walls only one cell thick. These tubes have a series of one way valves. Varying the pressure on this system circulates the lymph fluid. Increased pressure closes the valves (bottom of the bounce). Decreased pressure opens the valves (top of bounce).
    Doctor Samuel West, author of "The Golden Seven plus One", has stated that rebounding is the best way to circulate the lymphatic system. If the lymphatic system is circulating properly, it is practically impossible to get sick.

PROVIDES CELLULAR EXERCISE - Rebounding strengthens every cell, muscle, organ, tissue, and tendon in the body. It even makes your bones strong. Most exercise programs are designed to strengthen the voluntary muscles & but rebound exercise is the only one that strengthens the liver, kidneys, bladder. Every organ in the body, even the skin, thickens and tightens "A Free Face Lift "no surgery required .

INCREASES BONE DENSITY - When the astronauts went to the moon and were subject to a weightless state for weeks at a time, it was found they lost 15% of their bone density. There was no gravitational pull and very little stress, so their bones become weaker and less dense. Had they been on a planet that had more gravitational pull than earth, their bone density would have increased. Because the body interprets acceleration and deceleration as an increase in gravity, every cell is made heavier and is put under more stress. The entire body is strengthened and bone density increased. This is what happens on a rebounder.

IMPROVES CARDIOVASCULAR FITNESS - Rebound exercise lowers the chances of cardiovascular disease in three ways:

By strengthening the legs. The legs act as an auxiliary pump for the cardiovascular system. Strong legs take a lot of strain off the heart.

The heart is strengthened by increasing the pulse rate. The heart works more efficiently than and can really rest when the body rests.

Rebound exercise strengthens the entire voluntary and involuntary muscular system, plus every tissue and organ in the body. This makes the entire system work more smoothly.

STRENGTHENS CELLS - At the peak of the jump, every cell is suspended for a split second in a state of weightlessness. At the bottom of the jump, the body is receiving as much as two G's or more of force. That is like weighing twice your normal weight. You can demonstrate this effect by bouncing lightly on your bathroom scale. You can see that, as you bounce, your body weight increases by deceleration. Conversely, it can be seen that increased gravitational pull, which occurs in rebound exercise, would cause the cells to strengthen and become more dense. Bones, muscles, organs, skin, and tissues get stronger.

As with any physical exercise program, let your doctor know that you are going to be rebounding to become more healthy. If you have any health problems regarding the new exercise program, please be sure to contact your doctor or your physical therapist. The above information is a guide based on the average FM patient. You may need to go more slowly or can advance more quickly than mentioned in the guide. You will need to listen your body and do what you can do without "over-doing" it.

Tilla

8. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

Hi Tim,

I found that water fitness was the best for me. The first few times I was very tired and sore afters. Even though for a year I had been lifting weights and working out on the treadmill. I didn't lose any weight at all doing those and was still having pretty bad pain. So the gym finally started an evening class for water fitness. And I went. I started in April, 3 times a week when I can due to my work schedule.

The class is only 45 minutes. You can do so much more in the water than you can on land. Plus there is a hot tub to soothe the muscles after the class. The bonus for me is that I am now swimming after the class and am up to 30 laps (breast stroke only, the only one that doesn't cause me pain from my FM and RA) and hope to keep increasing the number of laps I do. I have only lost 20 lbs, and have about 50 more to go, but it's more than I had hoped for.

I know not everyone can afford a gym membership, and it's not something I should really be spending the money on, but I figure it's for my health. But if you can find a YMCA, or a local pool, even if they don't have a class, water jogging is also a great workout. But start off slow. Only do what you can. And remember, what works for one person may not work for everyone. And some people are just too sick to do anything. I am grateful that I can keep moving. Even when I don't want to.

Warmest wishes,
    Donna
  9. vbrown

vbrown New Member

My Dr. wrote me a script for a soft tub. I haven't gotten one yet, but have found out that if your insurance doesn't pay for it, you can take it off on your taxes.
  10. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

... even gentle stretching can cause muscle spasms in me. I've tried to do all kinds and the only exercise that I can do that doesn't hurt is swimming. And, not laps... just gentle movements in the water.
  11. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

First I think Excersize is good for FM and not good for CFS.

I started very slowly with just 10 minutes of walking and lots of stretching and a hot bath at night. Now I am walking 30-45 mins. 4-5 times a week and doing light very light weights for strengthning. Just start slow and listen to your body. Lynn