Anyone keep 'pain' journal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimfibro, Mar 20, 2006.

1. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i could kick myself for not doing it.

i'd like to start TODAY. and will.

would have been SO helpful over these past years so if any of you have been recently diagnosed and haven't kept a journal: you really ought to.

not only valuable for your doctors but for your own thoughts and possible trigger patterns to view.
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

but never found it to be helpful. And when I told various doctors about it, they weren't very interested.

I also used it for a time to keep track of my basal temp, which is always below "normal".

I found that when I look back on my journal, I just tend to get discouraged by the lack of progress.
  3. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I keep it on an Excel spreadsheet. I list what time I got up, how I slept, what I eat, what pills i take and other symptoms.

It's been incrdibly valuable especially to tie in symptoms that turn out to be side effects of meds, also with foods that give me trouble.

I highly recommend it.
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I have been for a little while at the request of my docs. Mostly they want to see what my vitals are because of bp. I've been tracking bp, pulse, temp and pain levels in the following areas Arms/hands, shoulders, legs/feet, hips, chest and back.

This gives a gage of where the pain mostly affects me along with giving an average for the whole of me.

I started building an application in Visual Basic to make it easier for me to track all this info. I also use it to track when I take pain meds and record the levels at the same time, which shows how effective the pain meds are or aren't.

If anybody is interested in an application like this let me know and I'll try and post it on my website when I have it completed.

This will be a free program for anybody that wishes to use it.

Jake
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  5. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I would love a copy.

I have been trying to do a spread sheet for myslef and found that I am haven a hard time with Excel.

Let us know when you have it completed as I am sure it would benifit alot of us.

Thanks!
    Cindy
  6. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I would be interested in a copy also when you get it done!!

I have attempted to keep one several times, in different formats, but tend to get discouraged and just stop eventually. This DD is depressing enough, but to see it all in black and white is overwhelming.

I really like the excel spreadsheet idea... unfortunately, i suck at excel : (

Good Luck!
    TM~
  7. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

I've kept a journal since 2001 and recommend it very much. Started out as mental notes for me because I didn't understand why I was so forgetful - especially when I went to the doctors! Mine is very similar to what HagerTx stated. I keep mine in Word and print out hard copies after each page is completed and keep them in my binders.

My journal has notes of how I feel when I wake up (I wake up each morning like a have the flu along with nausea), if I slept through the night, aches, pains, new and strange symptoms, reactions to meds, eating, my frustrations, how I feel emotionally, I vent,.... the list goes on. Basically, anything and everything that I feel like writing down. I refer back to my journal when I have appts. with my docs - type up a brief list of things from my last visit and give a copy to them at my appointments. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's second nature to me now.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  8. cczub

cczub New Member

I used to and as someone already stated the doctors weren't very interested and it did do much for me.. I think it actually made me depressed at the lack of sleep I am getting and how horrible I always feel...
  9. jakeg

jakeg New Member

To all that are interested when I have this program completed I will post it under the title of

Health Watcher.

Just some of the things that you can do

supports multiple users, add doctors, medications,appointments, health vitals and of course pain management.

I may add a form to track life events such as operations and so forth.

Jake
  10. halle00

halle00 New Member

I should really be takeing notes
    If you can send me a copy of the excell spread sheet Jake that would be great

bhwarren@mts.net

Halle
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

i HAVE SEVERAL COLUMNS.

Level of stress; leg pain; back pain; neck pain, headache; nausea, dizzyness, and so on and grade them 1-10

If anything unusual happened(like taking antibiotics) I note that down.

It is amazingly useful and also helps me see my pain DOES fluctuate a lot.

Love Anne C
  12. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Hi Jake,

Just wondering how your making out with the Health Tracker?

Please give us a heads up when it is finished, as I know it will help alot of us.

Thanks!!
    Cindy
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I started keeping one when I saw your post. I am simply using a pocket calendar to report my pain levels, how I sleep, where I hurt, my activity level.

If I had to do something structured, I don't think I'd do it, but this seems easy for me, and I can make sense of it and tell the doc what's been going on.

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

Sue
  14. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Health Watcher update.

This software package is nearing completion. I hope to have it completed within the next week or so, depending on the amount of pain and flares that are occurring lately.

Doing things like this was part of my job before I was run over by the beer truck, and it just keeps backing up and hitting me again and again.

If I were a normal this would've been completed in two days. The delay is all the pain caused by typing and the loss of train in thought. The last one mentioned about thought is the worst of the 2 evils but the pain is a constant freind always by my side, never leaving not only for a second.

With that said hopefully it will be completed shortly.

Jake
  15. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kimfibro:
    I keep a diary: the old-fashioned kind. I write of my events of the day and always write *and i do mean always* about the FM. It just helps me let out steam. I guess that is close enough to a pain journal. It usually is short because I do not have many 'events' of the day.

NyroFan
  16. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I mention my pain both physical and emotional.