Anyone know a doctor in KC, MO?!?!?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mkhredhead, May 7, 2003.

1. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

I've had some bad experiences, as it sounds many of you have. It takes time, money and much frustration each try. Please, I'd love to know if anyone has had a positive experience with a doc in Kansas City for FMS. Thank you!
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm in Overland Park, but have only been here a year, so I'm a newbie to the area. It depends on what you're looking for.....I myself am trying to steer clear of prescription drugs (I just have so many side effects!) & deal with my food allergies/leaky gut syndrome, which I think, for me, is the root of many of my FM issues. I found an excellent allergist/immunologist who specializes in FM/CFS who also dx's & treats candida overgrowth, thyroid, vitamin deficiencies. I have also seen a physical med MD here who is supportive & treats FM, I just don't want pain meds, anti-depressants at this time, but they do all that. I also know of chiropractors, etc. Let me know if any of these things sound like something worth pursuing & I will look up names & numbers for you.

Hope you got through the recent tornadoes OK! I understand tomorrow may pose another threat.....

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. turtis

turtis New Member

i also have a wonderful doctor and he is in Blue Springs. he really listens to you and lets you ask lots of questions...and the best thing is that he spends time with his patients...i always bring a list of what is on my mind and he addresses the whole list before i go..justlet me know and i will give you his address

turtis
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  4. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

I appreciate your response and would love to have their names! It sounds like there are quite a few of us here in KC area. For some reason, that is nice to know.

Thanks again Pam, hope your day is a good one!

Mary Kay
  5. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

Your response is appreciated and I'd love the name of your doc. Finding one who actually takes the time to "listen" would be wonderful (not having the feeling that you are taking too much of their time!?).

Have a good day and thanks again!

Mary Kay
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

The doctor I see most is Dr. Jeremy Baptist (913)469-4043. He's in OP at about 110th & Roe. He's an MD allergist/immunologist who tests for almost everything (he's very thorough). I thought I had a systemic candida infection, & that's what I first went to him for----turned out, I had severe food allergies (no systemic candida) probably for years. He also tested for thyroid & metal toxicity (& I DID have mercury overload). He treats for all these things, is well-known for treatring FM/CFS/autism/ADHD by finding underlying factors. He looks & talks like Elmer Fudd (!) but I really like him because he gives you tons of time, & is very thorough & methodical. While his treatments are mainly naturopathic & involve dietary changes & supplements, he does NOT push a line of products (he will only suggest a brand if you ask) and is not afraid to use traditional medicine & prescription drugs when needed. For example, he prescribed a drug for my migraines, at least until we figure out the triggers for them.

Dr. Steve Simon & Dr. Thomen Reece are at Mid-America Physiatrists (913)491-2440, on 87th St. in OP (or is that Lenexa?)----they have a website, but the 110th address they show there is out-dated. I have seen Dr. Reece a couple of times, Dr. Simon is supposed to be very good but it takes longer to get in to see him. Dr. Reece, though, gave me a full hour the first time & really listened to all my concerns. They regularly treat FM patients & are "believers". I seldom see Dr. Reece only because I'm trying to avoid pain meds & other types of prescriptions if I can (other than my migraine stuff---I have so many darn side effects to so many), plus I'm really trying to treat the underlying factors for me rather than just the symptoms. But when you are having a lot of pain & fatigue, I think these guys are good!

Good luck, Mary Kay---I'm sorry I wrote such a "book", but hopefully it will be of some help!

Fingers crossed for NO tornadoes today,
    Pam
  7. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I am originally from KC, and about a year before we moved, I took my daughter to a doctor(female) who is a doctor of internal medecine, and practices the holistic approach. She is located north of the river at the intersection of Antioch and Vivian. I have forgotten her name, but if you are interested, I can ask a relative who recommended her to me.
  8. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

Thanks so much, and I didn't think it was a "book" at all - just very helpful info!!! It feels good just knowing someone else has had a positive experience with them. I feel better already! You are appreciated.

Mary Kay
  9. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

The name of a doctor "north" of the river would be wonderful - as I live beyond Kearney. I always end up having to go quite a distance south for docs - that is not always convenient with work, etc. I'd appreciate her name very much Dorothy. Thanks again.

Mary Kay
  10. turtis

turtis New Member

Bruce Scully 1509 NW Mock Blue Springs MO 816-229-8187

he is the BEST

Turtis
  11. mkhredhead

mkhredhead New Member

Your help is appreciated - several of you have given me names to check out now . . . everyone is so-o-o helpful on this site.

Thanks again!
    Mary Kay