Anyone Know a Natural Treatment for Sinusitis and Allergies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 25, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Since CFS I am bothered with sinus and allergy problems that at times are so bad I have to stay in bed..

I have tried all the usual, antibitocs,
    antihitisimines, decongestions, steriod sprays, etc..they all seem to have side effects with me..Mainly increasing my anxiety, insomina, restlessness and I guess I haven't taken any long enough for them to work due to the side effects. So I am bothered with this problem almost everyday..

My symptoms are: early morning headaches, aches, fatigue, ear pressure, ear ringing 24/7, blury vision, foggy head fealing, drainage in throat at night..In the morning the mucos is yellow and bloody but then its clear..sorry to be gross..My headaches go away once I get out of bed and am up for awhile.

I have had these symptoms off and on since this cfs and they never completely go away.

Just wondering if there are any natural rememdies for this..

Thanks and God Bless,
    greatgran
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Nasal irrigation really helps. I do it. The only draw back is most people find it very difficult to do. It's not a plesant sensation. I have a nasal spray bottle that I bought at the health food store, and mix up my own concoctions to spray up my nose. This nasal thing is a big problem for most of us. I have not found anything to cure it, just to control it.

K.
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

This has been my worst pain over the years. I have tried everything including surgery. It is so much more debilitating than people understand.

Have you actually been dx w/ sinusitits? In my case they told me for ears that it wasn't sinusitis even though I had all the sx - even blocked airway. But x-rays etc say no. The only reason they gave me the dx at all was because it went on so long and abx seemed to relieve SOME of the pain.

Now, I'm starting to think maybe it's actaully something else. Like everything else in this DD - nothing is cut and dry. I have been doing the candida diet to see if that might be part of this. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm also on probiotics.

The biggest relief I'v received was from a trigger shot in my face where most of the pain seemed to radiate from. I was completely skeptical but it worked almost emediately. And the shot was not too painful. I have had other trigger point shots for my back/hip pains which have not made much difference for me but I think that's because those pains are more genereal. If you are like me the face pain is very intense and specific.

Along with that I'm using a homeopathic nose spray called Euphorbium. It helps some with the blockage and pressure but is more effective over time. It is supposed to heal the sinus membranes so you use it even if you are feeling the sx (3-4x/day).

I'd love to hear more about your experience as this has been such a long and painful struggle for me as well.

Sofi
  4. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Have you tried the neti pot or nasal irrigation with the
    water pik and nasal tip attached as others have suggested?
    If done daily it stimulates the hair-like cila that lines
    the nasal cavity to move mucous out. A little salt with a
    touch of baking soda in clean water to make saline.

Also, I read an article that humming helps sinusitis. Plus
    thrust your tongue against the roof of your mouth and then
    putting your finger between your brows helps to decongest
    sinuses. Drink tons of water.

Dreamharp
  5. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Prickles, I tried Olive Leaf Extract and it didn't help me
    either until someone sugggested the Olive Leaf Extract by
    Seagate. This company uses a "cleaner" method to produce it.
    I tried it anf it helped a lot taking away the "moldy soil"
    like taste in my head that I had for a lomg time.

Dreamharp
  6. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Hi Greatgran,

I also have problems with chronic sinusitis, but it has gotten better with twice daily use of OTC saline nasal sprays. They sell them at most pharmacies, but I've found the best price at Walmart. Make sure it doesn't contain any decongestants--those are addictive.

The other thing that helps tremendously in keeping clear is Mucinex. I tried the generic form before it became nonprescription, and while it did nothing for my other symptoms, it did keep me draining. I think they sell the stuff here, since it does seem to help a lot of folks with FMS.

I still get occasional sinus infections, but they are down to once or twice a year at most, rather than 4-6 times per year. Good luck and hope you feel better!

Hugs,
    Hilary
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I had chronic sinus infections until testing showed I was allergic to dust mites. They live in bedding, carpets, everyone has them.

I was always worse in the mornings, so that should have been a clue - sleeping in bed all night and my pillows.

I had to buy an allegen-free pillow and special pillow cover and mattress cover - it wasn't too expensive, around $65.00 total.

Anyways, this helped me a lot. My doctor was reluctant to order the allergy testing but I insisted and am so glad I did.

Mary
  8. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Hi Mary, Did you get rid of your carpet also? I read the
    number #1 allergen is dust mites. Thanks for posting.

Dreamharp
  9. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I don't know if you read my other post to greatgran but I
    just read an article to help decongest sinuses. Thrust your
    tongue against the roof of your mouth and then press your
    finger between your brows. I did not notice much of a difference but several posters from another forum did.

Dreamharp
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your help..
    I have tried just about everything mentioned..

My doctor did the yeast test and it was negative..She says that I have allergies that are causing the sinus problem..My next step is to see an immunologist. I have seen so many doctors with no results that I dread seeing another...

On my last visit to my doc I was given claratin and flonase man did that drive me up the wall..Seems nothing works..

Have any of you seen an immunologist with sucess?

I use saline spray all the time and the irrigation frequently.. Take garlic and vit.C What bothers me most is the weird head feeling..I don't have pain except being awaken with the 5 am headache but once I am up it goes away...

My problem may be more allergies than sinus but which ever it is miserable...

Thank all of you so much for replying to my post..
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

p.s. I haven't tried the X-Clear, where do you purchase it? I looked for it at wal-mart yesterday..

While I was looking for the X-clear I came across a Therapy for the bath that is suppose to be theraputic for cold and sinus..It is Village Naturals Therapy for the bath is suppose to reduce aches and pains,sleep soundly, and breath easier..It contains Echinacea, Ginsing, and Tea Tree..Anyone tried it..I got some and hope to soak tonight.. Will let you know.

I have found that Dristan nasal spray helps more than anything, it does cause me to have jitters but has the least side effects and seems to help with the ear presure...My doc doesn't like Dristan.

Sure wish we could come up with something....

God bless
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I know I am allergic to cigarette smoke, colones and the out doors..My best friend is a smoker and I can't go to her home or be with her without getting "sick'. During the holidays my step-son and his wife stayed with us and his colone put me in bed a week..

I too notice when I eat certain foods I get the same reaction, also sented
    candles, cleaning supplies and air freshners...and I am sure theres many more...

I never has this problem until the dd...So guess I will see the immunologist and hope for help...

God Bless
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Benedryl but now they are making you sign for it..I use the blue box since the doc said it was the one that wouldn't bother my asthma or the med for asthma. I'm not going to go through the hassle of signing on it anymore though, just something else for the govt to worry themselves about. It's getting ridiculous. They didn't have the blue box behind the counter before anywhere, but now they do.

If you can try to find a massage therapist and have them show you how
    to do the drain on your own. It's just applying pressure and sort of
    pushing as you go from the center of
    right above the eyebrows and around
    the eyes to the ears. Then you do the same thing from your upper nostrils
    (on the outside lol!) and under the
    bones under your eyes, to the ears and then to the neck. It REALLY works, but is temporary. You can do it all you need to though. Good luck, I know how miserable it is believe me, I've had this since I was a baby
    I think. I hope something helps!
    Bambi
  14. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Xlear is sold here in the Pro Health store. I'm going to order some for myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kathy.
  15. Koala8_1

Koala8_1 New Member

HI my family and i have had great result with nettle leaf or stinging nettle. You can get it at a health food store or probably online as well. I take a capsule every nite before bed and it really helps also helps when you have a cold and can't take cold medicine. My husband has severe sinus problems and this has helped him immensely. It is natural and doesn't seem to have any side effects. My daughter who just had a baby told us about it. she used it for sinus as well as for milk production. Hope this helps. Jules
  16. Daisys

Daisys Member

I've been burning 100% beeswax candles. I read somewhere (try googling Tahoma clinic) that they create a negative ionization like those machines that are supposed to keep the air clean. They say to burn them by the bed for a few hours before going to sleep.
    I don't have allergies so can't vouch for that, but I did do a little experiment last time I used bleach. I shut the window in the laundry room and didn't turn the fan on. When I went in to put the rags from the washer to the dryer the room smelled strongly of chlorine. I lit a candle and left the door shut and when I came back to get the rags out of the dryer, I was amazed at how much of the chlorine smell was gone, not just masked.
    It's worth a try to see if this helps. It seems like it would if your allergies are airborne.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  17. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

A nasal liquid called Sinus Buster is sold online. The liquid
    form is more effective than the spray. It is pretty helpful.
    It is made from hot peppers and will decongest nose and
    ears.

We need to start a prayer chain because I want a cure! I really feel for all sinus sufferers because it really is
    a drain on quality of life. This is my number #1 health
    issue. All these remedies are helpful and a "band aid" for
    the time being. I appreciate all the ideas.

Dreamharp
  18. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I thought it was interesting that you get a horrible sinus
    infection when you take probiotics. Could this be from a
    type of die off symptom? It helps put good bacteria in the
    gut as you know and boosts the immune system. Maybe it
    revs up your immune response-and you really need it but in
    very tiny amounts and then very slowly work your way up.

What happens if you eat yogurt?

Dreamharp
  19. acesk

acesk New Member

"Clear sinus and ear" homeopathic product on this board. My Mom is using it and it is helping her sinuses.

Sue in Florida
  20. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Once you get the sinus infection cleared, I find MSM helpful for keeping it from returning. It also prevents the bronchial cough that developes with allergies.