Anyone know about ADA and schools?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanyasue, Dec 27, 2005.

1. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

I am having a problem with my school in regards to ADA compliance with my school. Basically, although I advised my academic advisor that I have a disability they (University of Phoenix)ignored it. I just failed my third class, and found out that they have an ADA compliance office.

I contacted them and was told that because I didn't file my paperwork previous to the beginning of the class they cannot help me. Additionally, even though my teach said she work with me, she has now changed her mind and won't. They have stated that they cannot get involved in something involving a teacher.

I told them I advised my academic counselor and he did nothing. I feel like they are basically blowing me off.

Can anyone offer advice? I am so upset I am getting the worst anxiety from this!

Please help!

Tanya Sue
  2. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

and I was studying Business Administration. I am only a year away so I don't want to drop out.

I am 3 points from a C. I am willing to take a C. I just need to pass this class.

I have already asked for the dean's information so that I can contact them. I was told to file a complaint with my academic advisor. I pointd out that my academic advisor is incompetent, but haven't heard back.

Tanya Sue

ps-Does any one else have any suggestions?
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

For me it was the same, the paperwork had to be completed PRIOR to the beginning of classes. Even then, my school was only okay about working with me on issues like attendance, etc.

So, for me I found that online classes were my saving grace!! I wouldn't have made it if it weren't for being able to take as many classes as possible by online format. In fact, I'm now completing another degree through a strictly online format. I love it!!

As the previous poster mentioned, I think your only recourse is going to be going through the department head and the dean. I'm sorry they are putting you through this!! Good luck.

4. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Can you tell me what you typed in for the search?

I have been trying to work with them. All I needed was some extra time to get a paper in. The teacher said she would work with me, but then refused to at the end of the class.

I am in online school, but it is not that great. Can I ask what other online schools others are attending?

I start crying everytime I have to deal with this. I am so frustrated! I have so much other crap to deal with. Now, because of this grade, I will lost my financial aid have to start paying on my loans and the list goes on and on. I just want to go home and sit and cry.

I get so frustrated that others cannot have compassion. Of course if she got her grades out late, that wouldn't be a problem.

Tanya Sue
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Some great online programs to check out are through Bellevue University (which is in Nebraska, but has online students from all over the US and deployed across the world) and University of Maryland University College.

I looked into Phoenix too, but I wasn't very impressed - especially for the cost. The other two I mentioned just felt much better to me.
  6. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

You really nailed this one.

I think the two biggest are soft place to fall and that I am scared that my health is going to go down hill.

To answer your questions. First, I am all alone. I have no husband and no roommate. My family is being somewhat supportive for the first time ever and I am not sure it will last. It is not that they don't believe me as much as they don't understand and are fighting the same demons from childhood I am.

I already used my loan grace period the first time i got really sick about 10 years ago-and it has been downhill since.

What is a financial difficulty deal? Please explain.

I am feeling pretty much resourceless right now. I have a church that has a great support financially. Anytime I have had to ask for help, they have been happy to provide it. I got gift cards for Christmas-anonmously. It made it so I could buy gifts for my nieces and nephews.

The school has no dean. However, one of the ADA Compliance Managers (as opposed to officers) is trying to find someone for me to talk to. She asked for my instrcutors e-mail address.

I am in complete denial..I am not sick...For some reason, I cannot let school. I am on a chemo drug right now and still stayed in school because I feel like I am loser if I don't finish school. I don't think that of any one else, just me.

I feel if I let school go, I am letting a big piece of my quality of life go, even though I am probably just making a good decision.

I cannot live on what you get with disability. Things are so expensive where I live. If I were to move, I would have to build a whole new support system.

I have a several friends that would help me in other ways, but I cannot ask for help, or even accept it. The words will not come out. I am also humiliated because I think that I am supposed to be strong enough to handle life on my own without help. I ran out of laundry detergent asked me if I needed anything while she was out running errands. I couldn't tell her.

I do have a good job. They are supportive and understanding of my illnesses (all of them). They care. My boss doesn't care that I have to have dr's appointments and miss work. And I have a great deal, i have a good doctor that is working as hard as she can to make sure everything I need done is done.

The pay is decent, but all of my co-pays kill me financially.

I know this sounds shallow, but all of my single friends have social lives. I want a social life! I want to go to dinner after work, go to church, go to the movies. When I am around them I feel like a loser.

Then I come here. I then feel guilty because for whatever reason I can work. My body can be on the duragesic patch and my mind still think. My mind can think when tired and in pain. I know this is luckier than most.

I know I am burning the candle at both ends and in the middle too, but I don't know how to stop. I cracked 3 weeks ago and did something stupid. The people I talked to about it were shocked, and were shocked to hear that I cracked. They were surprised I was angry at what is going on-to have several mental illnesses and several physical ones as well. I feel so alone in my struggles. I have been crying non-stop for about 4 weeks now and NOTHING makes this feel better.

tanya sue

7. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Basically, they told me that they are unable to help me with this class, but they will help in the future. I explained there will be no future at my school if I do not pass this class.

I got an e-mail stating as a show of good faith they will work with me. My teacher was told to give me an incomplete in the course so that I could finish my last paper, and that she could not mark me down for the late papers.

I am happy and relieved about this. The good news is that they are working with me in the future, and hopefully will agree to accomodating late papers-that would allow for me to continue to go to school and get my degree.

My degree is that one thing that is so important to me, the one thing I cannot let this DD take away from me. I will never stop learning, but I will eventually finish school and continue learning in another capacity.

Thank you for all of the support-especially you fight4acure-it was and is much appreciated. I am not sure I would had made it though this without your understanding and support. I also wouldn't have realized somethings about how I was feeling that you totally pegged.

Tanya Sue