Anyone know about carbohydrate issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spmom, Jul 21, 2008.

1. spmom

spmom New Member

I am a normal weight woman with no symptoms of diabetes or hypoglycemia, but I have suspected for some time that I may have problems with carbohydrates. I became disinterested in things like bread and starchy foods, but sweets were big on my love list. A week ago I decided to cut out most carbs and see how I felt, and I have found that I feel so much better. I'm wondering what this is all about. Does it have a name?
  2. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Candida is common in people with FM and CFS. Starving the candida can keep it from growing and will make you feel better. Google candida and you will learn a lot. Candida comes with compromised immune system.

I notice that when I eat a little of simple carbs, I pay for it with gas and rectal itch.

3. star273

star273 New Member

I crave things like cinnamon rolls and pastries, things like that, but never bread. I wonder if there really is something to that? I would love to know more, if this works for anyone else. I will cut it out if I have too. please let me know. Thanks so much.
  4. lmn

lmn New Member

i wake up thinking about sugar laden food!! lol....

seriously, when i cut back on sugar, i feel great and don't crave it. when i'm on a sugar binge, i want sugary foods all the time and can't seem to get enough. the problem is breaking the cycle and sticking to it. i almost feel addicted to sugar. anyone else?
  5. spmom

spmom New Member

That's interesting. I have had my candida levels checked and they were negative. I do think that there is something going on in my body, not sure what it is but the low carb thing is working.
  6. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Ten days ago I started my pre-op diet for lap band surgery which I'll have on Friday. This is a high protein/low carb diet which excludes ALL highly sugared fats, junk food, fried foods, in general all the foods which taste fabulous and apparently wreck havoc with our bodies.

I have been starving the entire time (which I why I am having the surgery) BUT I haven't felt fluish at all. I still hurt, but I'm able to get out of bed without too many problems and I seem to be sharper at work. Coincidence?

This is the way I will be eating from now on out - high protein/low carb. I have known for quite a few years that I seem to do well on this type of diet, but it is a difficult one to stay on because I dislike protein *L*. I can't stomach beef, detest chicken, only moderately like fish so it is a challenge. But I've been managing.

I know I am on to something! If low carbs and sufficient pain meds keep me moving as well as this, I just might be able to carry on *L*.

7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I do so much better on low carb. I gain weight rapidly if I eat bagels and sandwiches.

I lose weight or maintain on a good protein diet.

Unfortunately, my body craves sweets, breads any carbs, when I have overdone it and need that short term energy burst. But I pay dearly for it.

I encourage you to get one of Dr. Sears books on The Zone diet. It is a balanced diet and corrects the insulin swings we get from eating an unbalanced diet.

I posted a review of one of his books so you could search on my name and try to find it.

It is called hypoglycemia or metabolic syndrome.

Also, sugar suppresses the immune system.

8. Yawning

Yawning New Member

I feel infinitely better on a low carb diet. I've done the South Beach and/or Atkins several times and each time I've lost a lot of weight, but more than anything had much more energy. Plus, I don't feel as stiff in the mornings. And my mind feels sharper. It's a great diet - just tough to sustain forever...
  9. spmom

spmom New Member

Adrenals may be the culprit. I've had to give up my morning mocha, even decaf mochas (the hardest thing ever). My system can not handle much and I'm starting to sort it all out. I'm also wondering about insulin resistance. I've had a major endocrine system crash and developed thryoid hormone resistance. My body seems to be turning on itself. I'm just glad that I am finding some results.
    Thanks, spmom