Anyone know about hyperbaria oxygen therapy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by chrissy12, Jun 8, 2009.

1. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

A friend just called me and told me about her visit to an alternative doctor. He has recommended her looking into hbot. It could possibly kill any aneorobic(sp?) bacteria.
    I have never heard of this and interested in anyone who may know something? Thanks..
  2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have contacted several places but nobody is using it to treat fibro as of now. My husband wanted to build one for me because the barometric pressure determines my flares. I do think thought that one day it will be offered as a treatment coarse or modality. Let us know what your friend finds out. P
  3. panthere

panthere Member

my husband tried it and he felt really good after a session. however, he's claustrophobic so he really got scared doing it. we rented one for our house which was pretty big and he tried to do it that way, but it smelled. If you are not sensitive to things like that, you can definitely rent one. otherwise, go to one of the places and do a hard core one. it's always good to try and see how you feel!
  4. pluis

pluis New Member

Dr Enlander in NYC has one but to my knowledge hasn't started the treatments yet.

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

says that we are oxygen toxic - I'm not sure that I believe this, but since I do have a lot of respect for him, I have not dismissed the idea either.....I am also not entirely sure that I totally understand what he means, but from what I do understand, it sounds like if he is rt, then hyperbaric treatments would be a disaster
  6. norris2

norris2 New Member

There are some places you can try mini-hyperbaric oxygen. I have done it over fifty times. I feel better after but then I have the herxheimer response (bacteria die off) just like I do with antibiotics (I have lyme disease and who knows what other infections). I can tell you it does kill bacteria.

Over the long haul, I feel better than I did before I did the treatments. Yes, anyone thinking of HBOT should know what Dr. Cheney says, he is smart, maybe he is right. I pay attention to Cheney. But if we all followed Dr. Cheney we would never get anywhere because he is always changing his mind. He used to think GSH would have major benefits, now he says it is "dangerous". He has had at least 3 or 4 iterations of totally changing his theories. I listen but until he is getting patients dramatically better I experiment on myself.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2009]
  7. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Chrissy!!!!

I am conflicted like everyone else - primarily because of what Dr Cheney has said. I do know two local doctors that offer it:

Dr Derrick Lonsdale, Westlake, OH

Dr Phillip DeMio, Seven Hills, OH

My illness began after a brain injury from carbon monoxide so I think about it as a possibility for improvement - but of course, fear getting any worse.

God Bless,
    Elisa
  8. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Thanks for all of your responses!! They were extremely helpful. Yes, I am a little claustrophobic, so I don't even know if I could do it.

The idea of Dr. Cheney saying it would do more harm concerns me, too... I know he does change his mind, but this is his recent findings if I am not wrong.

Elisa - Thanks for the doctors in Ohio. You know I live in Ohio, so that is really useful info.

I think I am going to wait and see if my friend does it and see how she does. I don't need anything to make me feel worse.

Thanks all for your help....
  9. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Chrissy,

I would love to do HBOT if I could afford it. From what I've read, and with my history of a head injury, I feel I could benefit greatly from it.

I asked another member here (jenbooks13) about her experience with HBOT, and she gave a reply I thought you might find of interest. I'll paste it below.

Elisa, I noticed you had a brain injury from CO exposure. I don't know if you're aware of it, but HBOT has been used very successfully for stroke victims who have experienced brain injury. Apparently, many of brain cells affected by a stroke actually do not die, but go into somewhat of a coma (can't think of the right term).

These brain cells can remain "dormant" for many years, not functional but not dead either. Apparently, HBOT has the ability to force higher levels of oxygen into these cells and bring them back to life. The research I've done into HBOT reveals some pretty amazing things. I truly think it will be a mainstream therapy in the future.

I've also heard that if you can get a stroke victim into an HBOT within something like 12-48 hours, there is almost never any permanent neurological damage. Makes you wonder why it isn't being used more extensively. I'm guessing it will as babyboomers retire and start having their strokes.

Good luck if you get a chance to try this. I would encourage you to keep researching it. Some fascinating stories out there.

Best, Wayne

Response from Jenbooks13 RE: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

You asked about my hyperbaric chamber, which is my lifesaver. Honestly, if I skip about 10 days, I start to feel a kind of toxic-unto-death feeling that is just horrible. One hour session keeps that at bay for about 10 days and makes me feel more whole, energetic, and has done good things for my digestion, and I think somewhat saved my brain :))))).

I have my own home chamber. This is extremely convenient but its also an expensive item. However many chiropractors and holistic docs carry them these days. To find someone in your area you might google around or you can call oxyhealth, the firm that makes them, in California and ask for a referral.

I would highly recommend it. I went to look at your profile, which I remember reading a while back (I admire your spiritual overview and that pic near Moab is beautiful). I can tell you hyperbaric has really had a tremendously beneficial effect on the wired/tired/toxic feeling and on headaches. It sounds like you suffer from this and I think you are on the right track thinking it might help you.
  10. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Your information is very helpful. I read your attachment from Jen. It sounds very positive.. I can't get my mycoplasma antibiodies to come down. This will be something I am going to look into. I have a friend who is considering it, so I am going to see what she thinks, too.

Thanks for sharing this with me..
  11. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Wayne,

I completely missed your post until now - so sorry - I forget to check back sometimes.

Thanks so much for the amazingly helpful info!!!!

I have read the small units are much less expensive now - and that many autsim docs offer there use - maybe you can find one near you Wayne.

Wayne you are so kind - and have helped me so many times - just want you to know that it means alot to me.

God Bless,

Elisabeth
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

I know someone who has been disabled since his mid 20s for about 20 years now from "CF/FM" and has tried everything to find out what was wrong with him, from seeing Cheney to DeMerlier and participating in a NIH study, and has gotten nowhere. At one point his parents financed 40 treatmentsof HBOT ... that did not help him either.

However, my son did a lot of sessions for lyme over 3 weeks. At first he did it intensively and herxed, and had to back off. After that he went back to pulsing abx and used it instead for detoxing, which worked quite well - he always felt a lift from it. The clinic he went to said they had some people who had nothing wrong with them but did it because it gave them a bit of extra energy. There were others with different problems (like MS) who found benefit.

If you look in the articles & abstracts library here, you will find some interesting info, like these by Garth Nicholson:
    http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=10135
    http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=8845
    http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=7599

others:
    http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=10055

http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=10041

Hope that helps to make a decision. As with all the different 'protocols', everybody responds differently....

all the best,
    Victoria

PS: Where my son did treatments, the HBOT unit was like a giant test tube - all clear. He was also able to communicate thru a speaker with the technician, and also watch TV.

[This Message was Edited on 07/23/2009]
  13. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Not exactly what you asked for, but...

Someone in my CFS support group incredible improvement the first time he used a hyperbaric chamber. But the chamber he used did not add oxygen. It only changed the pressure. The improvement only lasted a few days, so he had to do it again. He ended up buying a used hyperbaric chamber that he keeps at home and uses every 5 days. It does not cure him of CFS, but it increases his health so much it transformed his life.

Here's the problem. He has invited other support group members to try his chamber. About four have tried, and none were helped. One member tried a chamber at a doctor office, and she ended up feeling worse for months. We don't know if hers used oxygen.

[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2009]
  14. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I appreciate your comments. It seems like there are pros and cons to this treatment. I think I will hold off for now. Thanks!!!
  15. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Chrissy12,

I have treated patients for the past 20 years with HBO. It has been a very effective modality for diabetic foot ulcers, certain ischemic wound, radiation ulcers, carbon monoxide poisoning, the bends and acute burns. I have no experience with csf or fm. Brain injury, ischemic heart disease and stroke patients have shown mixed results in our medical center.

Gary

16. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Thanks for the information. I will keep it for further use. I have a friend with diabetic foot ulcers. I will let him know that this has helped. I appreciate the info.
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

I just saw a segment on Fox Int'l news (they run 'general interest stories' instead of commercials in Mexico :) about the successful use of HBOT for brain injuries for vets returning from Middle East. It seems totally reasonable that it could help some of our poor brains no matter the reason(s) we're having problems, and worth a try or 2. You just don't want to do it if you have sinus problems!