Anyone know about liver numbers???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

My liver numbers are high. In 2004, ast was 19 & alt was 20 both were normal.

In 2005 they were ast 59 & alt 83.

Just had them done again and they are ast 71 & alt 111.

Does anyone here know what this could mean? My Dr. is going to retest me again in 2 months and if they are still high, he is going to do a liver biopsy.

What do you think could be wrong?

Last year I was dx with fatty liver.

Every time I turn around, there is another illness to add to the list. So aggravating!!

Thank you in advance for any responses.

One thing about this board, there is always at least one person who knows something about every topic.

Thanks guys,

bozey
  2. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

They can be elevated from NSAID use (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ... Ibuprofen/Motrin, Naprosyn/Aleeve/naproxen/Anaprox, Celebrex, etc.)

Viral illness

Gall stones

A number of things...
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

But when I got very, very ill in 2002, my liver enzymes were elevated. My PCP kept blowing me off. At that point, I had been running a fever for two weeks. Took myself to an infectious disease doctor. He diagnosed me with cytomegalovirus on the spot and the blood tests he ran confirmed (Epstein Barr is a marker for mono and CMV. I don't know what else he ran...took 7 BOTTLES of blood that day for "blood cultures"). I recovered after a couple of months, but have never been the same since.

Just found out I still have the elevated (way off the charts) Epstein Barr and my ENT said I probably have CFS. Feel like a truck ran over me for the past two weeks. My PCP ran some more tests, and I think he said he was rechecking my liver. I go in tomorrow.

I'll TRY TO REMEMBER to respond tomorrow and let you know what the results were.

Terry
  4. bozey

bozey New Member

I don't take any meds except my throid pill and I had my gallbladder out last October.

Terrys, please let me know how your dr. appt. goes. what was your liver numbers?

bozey
  5. bozey

bozey New Member

6. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

im not sure if im sending a message to the correct person...was looking up questions about liver #'S and
    was shocked to see that ibuprofen/motrin can cause high
    numbers!!

my liver enzymes were crazy high...my fam doc said she
    couldn't figure out why..but said I shouldn't worry!

I mentioned how much ib i was taking...it was way above
    recommended dose...just trying to get some relief of pain...

again, she said, no need to worry!!!!
  7. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I found a really great web-site that can help you figure out what they mean. Numbers and all.

www.labtestsonline.org

I also have high liver numbers. I take t3 and flexeril everynight to help me sleep.

On top of everything else I have kidney disease.

Good Luck, Kim
  8. bozey

bozey New Member

s--raquel, I don't take much ibuprofen as I know it's not good for you either

KIMKANE, thanks for the website, I will check it out.

bozey
  9. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

thank you for the website!and the other info!