Anyone know about the appeal process after LTD denial?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatDLT, Sep 23, 2008.

1. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Hi, I was denied my STD & LTD yesterday. Thank you caledonia for posting the ERISA lawyers. I'm checking on which lawyer I will call. There is also a website I found that looks promising.

Does anyone know how the appeal process works? The insurance company said that they were sending the appeals form via certified mail. Should get it tomorrow or Thursday. What happens next?

2. erica741

erica741 New Member

The Disinissues site is very helpful. There is also a Disinissues discussion group on Yahoo that is a great place to ask ERISA-related questions.

Good luck!
  3. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

I submitted an e-mail requesting help for my LTD denial. It's called the ERISA Group. How long does it take to get a response from a lawyer?

I will also apply for SSDI with Allsup and am calling them today. My HMO and all the medical records I had I gave to my insurance. I don't know what more I could have given them for them to approve my LTD. I can't believe that 20 minutes of seeing their ME outweighs 5 years (when I was DD) of my HMO saying I have FM, actually two HMOs saying I have FM.

Erica, where do I find the Disinissues site?

Thank you for your help.

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2008]
  4. allamerican7

allamerican7 New Member

I am getting ready to go into my range of motion physical.....was suppose to start receiving in JUNE!! But carrier has been dragging out.

I am not up on this very well and not always the best to stay on top of it...

Thanks.....Good Luck!!!
  5. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Hi Pat-

I just finally got through this long process.

I was denied my STD and LTD by Lincoln Finacial 2 years ago. I hired an attorney right cost me $2500.

I went through 1 1/2 years of appeals. My doctor wrote a letter and they called and harassed him. They had no compassion at all.

We started litigation about 6 months ago and I just settled out of court last week. My attorney recieved 1/3 of it. If it would have gone any mediation or trial , the lawyer's fee would have went up to 40%.

Another poster told you right. The appeals stage is when you can add test results and medical records. You can not add after the final appeal denial.

I hope you have better luck than I did. If you appropriate, get a sleep study. I got mine to late to help my case.

6. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Thank you, I think if I had known what to give and made sure my HMO sent in the right information, I would have been approved. I have two sleep studies from two different HMOs that have tested me as having Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I have been DD with FM by the two HMOs. I spend 10 minutes with the insurance ME and he says I don't have FM....And even though I am seeing a shrink for Severe depression and he is trying to figure out what kind of meds I should take. Anyone who has taken anti-depresants know that switching form one to another is very determental to your health. The last one he prescribed is giving me vertigo and nausea through out the day for the last two weeks. Yet he tells the LTD insurance I can go back to work. Do these people know their job?

I have talked to a lawyer I'm hoping he can help. Allsup has also accepted me and will help me with my SSD.

Thank you all for your replys!