ANYONE KNOW ABOUT ZANAFLEX

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NONNAB, Sep 24, 2002.

1. NONNAB

NONNAB New Member

I READ EVERYONES REPLY TO YOUR RX LIST. I HAVE NEVER
    READ WHERE ANYONE ON THE FM MESSAGE BOARD THAT TAKES
    ZANAFLEX. IT WAS MY LIFE SAVER AND I HAVE TALKED TO SEVERAL
    WHO SAY THE SAME. YOU TAKE IT BEFORE BED AND YOU WILL
    SLEEP LIKE A BABY. WAKE UP IN A HALF WAY DECENT WAY. THE
    ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS I HAVE WEIRD DREAMS AND MY
    HUSBAND SAYS I DO CRAZY THINGS LIKE GET UP AND START LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ON THE FLOOR OR UNDER THE BED. AND
    I NEVER REMEMBER IT.
    I REALLY AM ENJOYING THE MESSAGE BOARDS. AT LEAST I KNOW
    I'M NOT ALONE. THE WAY CO-WORKERS STARE AT ME AND SNEAR
    WHEN I AM SICK IS ENOUGH TO WANT TO SHAKE THEM AND SAY
    MAYBE ONE DAY YOU CAN HAVE AN ILLNESS LIKE LUPUS AND FM
    AND YOU CAN BE OFF WORK WHEN YOU ARE SICK! FORGIVE ME I
    KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRUEL BUT THAT IS THE WAY I FEEL.
    CONNIE
  2. NONNAB

NONNAB New Member

I READ EVERYONES REPLY TO YOUR RX LIST. I HAVE NEVER
    READ WHERE ANYONE ON THE FM MESSAGE BOARD THAT TAKES
    ZANAFLEX. IT WAS MY LIFE SAVER AND I HAVE TALKED TO SEVERAL
    WHO SAY THE SAME. YOU TAKE IT BEFORE BED AND YOU WILL
    SLEEP LIKE A BABY. WAKE UP IN A HALF WAY DECENT WAY. THE
    ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS I HAVE WEIRD DREAMS AND MY
    HUSBAND SAYS I DO CRAZY THINGS LIKE GET UP AND START LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ON THE FLOOR OR UNDER THE BED. AND
    I NEVER REMEMBER IT.
    I REALLY AM ENJOYING THE MESSAGE BOARDS. AT LEAST I KNOW
    I'M NOT ALONE. THE WAY CO-WORKERS STARE AT ME AND SNEAR
    WHEN I AM SICK IS ENOUGH TO WANT TO SHAKE THEM AND SAY
    MAYBE ONE DAY YOU CAN HAVE AN ILLNESS LIKE LUPUS AND FM
    AND YOU CAN BE OFF WORK WHEN YOU ARE SICK! FORGIVE ME I
    KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRUEL BUT THAT IS THE WAY I FEEL.
    CONNIE
  3. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

I have to agree! It sure does knock you out.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Yes me too on taking Zanaflex, it helps me to sleep, and calms muscle twtitches down. I also take celebrex, celexa, and tylenol 4's for pain. My doc prescribed me some xanax going through some rough times, and it helps with anxiety.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Connie, glad to have you join us. I do believe a lot of the members take Zanaflex for sleep. Myself, I take a low dose Xanax, along with a supplement; ZMA, then a Melatonin cap right before bed. I do sleep well with this combination.

With this illness, we are all different, what works for one does not always work for others.

As for people who don't 'get it', well I just keep my distance from them. Best policy if at all possible, or suffer in silence which I have done for years.

Right at this minute, my right hand is hurting, along with my arm up to my elbow. If you look at it, there is not a thing to see! But it hurts so darn bad I can hardly type, and have to hold my hand up, the pain is less that way.
    First time I had this.

Take care, and again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. donmia

donmia New Member

is my friend. lol I take 2 at bedtime and, it helps me sleep for at least 5 hours in a row. If i am having a really bad day, i take one--it makes me a little tiried but,it does help.And yes it really does help to know there are lots of others with the same problems.
    Donna
  7. LindaD.

LindaD. New Member

and have been for some time. I take 1 - 4 mg. three times a day, no matter what. At first, I would see tigers in my home and so forth; and my family thought I had gone crazy, but now my system is accustom to them without the side effects and they plus the ultram I take 3 times a day is a Godsend.
    Like someone said earlier, everybody can't do the same on medicines, I had been through them all until I was put on Zanaflex. Good choice.
    LindaD.
  8. alomasp

alomasp New Member

have never taken this med, but i take sereoquel at bedtime. it has the same effect, i think ,cuz my hubby will ask me what movie are you watching? i see & do dumb things sometimes after i take it.plus i work 2nd shift,having problems with hangover feeling. wonder maybe tring zanzflex? do you have the drug hangover feeling with it? thanks,alomasp
  9. ladydi

ladydi New Member

NONNAB, HI AND WELCOME
    FIRST OF ALL, WHAT PART OF ALABAMA ARE YOU FROM? YOU ARE THE
    FIRST PERSON ON THE BOARD I'VE SEEN FROM ALABAMA.

I USE TO TAKE ZANAFLEX AT NIGHT. IT WAS GOOD. BUT, I FOUND THAT I NEEDED TO TAKE SOMETHING DURING THE DAY FOR
    MUSCLE SPASMS. SO NOW I TAKE SKELAZEN. I TAKE IT 3 TIMES A
    DAY IF I NEED IT. WITH THE ZANAFLEX I COULD'NT TAKE IT
    DURING THE DAY DUE TO DROWZIENESS. I CAN STILL TAKE ZANAFLEX AT NIGHT IF I'M IN STRONG PAIN. I BELIEVE IT IS
    STRONGER THAN WHAT I TAKE DURING THE DAY. I DO KNOW IT IS
    A GOOD MUSCLE RELAXER.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR CITY, HOPFULLY YOU'LL BE CLOSE
    TO ME. I'M 20 MILES NORTH OF HUNTSVILLE.
    Warm Wishes, LadyDi
  10. NONNAB

NONNAB New Member

I READ YOUR REPLY TO MY HUSBAND ABOUT THE MOVIE. HE LAUGHED
    AND SAID, YEP SHE IS TAKING IT TOO! I DON'T HAVE A HANGOVER
    WITH MINE. NOW I CAN GET REALLY RUN DOWN TOWARD THE LAST
    OF THE WEEK AND I WILL END UP SLEEPING FRIDAY AFTERNOON
    AND SATURDAY AFTERNOON AFTER WORK. THEN SUNDAY MORNING
    BREAKFAST AND THE NEWSPAPER AND THAT IS IT FOR SUNDAY. I
    EITHER SLEEP OR STAY CURLED UP WATCHING MOVIES ALL AFTERNOON. GLAD TO HEAR IT IS WORKING FOR EVERYONE ELSE
    TOO.
    CONNIE
  11. NONNAB

NONNAB New Member

PLEASE FILL ME IN ON THE TYLENOL 4'S. I TAKE DARAVACET FOR
    PAIN BUT SOMETIMES, LIKE TODAY, IT DOSEN'T HELP THEN I GO
    TO TYLENOL ARTHRITIS. THAT DIDN'T HELP EITHER. I HAVE HAD
    A LOT OF HAND AND ARM PAIN LIKE SHIRL SAID. I WORE A WRIST
    SPLINT THINGEY TODAY BUT IT WAS NOT MUCH HELP EITHER.
    TROPICAL STORM ISIDOR IS NOT BEING KIND TO MY ACHES AND
    PAINS. PLUS HERE IN ALABAMA WE HAD RAIN ALL WEEKEND IT
    DIDN'T LET UP UNTIL MONDAY. SO MUCH FOR MY WEEKEND.
  12. marinemom

marinemom New Member

too, Connie. I'm on 4 mg. 3 times a day. If I'm having a really bad day, I'll double one of those doses. I don't seem to get sleepy, but am luckier that most people here, as I ONLY work at home as a Mom and Wife! =) Just Kidding. But really, I don't have to work outside the home, so I can't tell you for sure if it would make me slower at my job or not.

Hope all this info helps.

((((((((hugs))))))))
    Kathy
  13. LindaH

LindaH New Member

Hi, I've been taking zanaflex since June. I take 4mg twice a day well not always twice because for an hour or so I have to lay down. Sometime it acts very quickly for me and I just have to nap for at least an hour. I only take it at bedtime for sure. I will take it in the morning if i know I can sleep for a little bit. My son gets a big kick out of me. If I don't go on to bed someone will have to help me and they say I can be pretty funny. So at least I am good for some fun. lol I used to take flexeril but I find the zanaflex to be more effective. Don't let it bother you about what anyone thinks they don't have to live in your body you do. God bless, Linda
  14. ArtTeacher

ArtTeacher New Member

I take 4mg a night. It lasts about 4 hours. At first I was uncomfortable with it. I didn't like waking up and feeling out of it and unable to move well. I had to make sure it wore off for about three hours or I would feel groggy in the morning. But overall it's great. I have a problem with insomnia so I just take it a 1/2 hour before I go to sleep. I make sure my husband knows when I take it and that I'm done for the night because I sound and look drunk when it starts to take effect. Between that and my anti-inflamatory meds I feel better. I try to look at the positive. I sleep, I don't wake up every hour and I'm not it pain in the morning. I can actually get out of bed. I use to hate moving in the morning because I hurt so much. I would be exhausted because I didn't sleep through the night and I'd wait til the last minute to get out of bed. I have a 45 minute drive to work and I was always late. Toward the end of last year my principal called me in to warn me about being late, that I should try to get up earlier... if only he knew. I've been getting to work now anywhere from 15 - 45 minutes early. I was only late once this school year and that was today because of the rain and an accident on the parkway. I'm really happy about the change.
  15. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thought I would answer to it. Since I mentioned I take them.

They help with pain. They have codeine in them. It helps to a extent, like takes the edge off it. Its really hard on the stomach though.

I tried aleve. They caused some serious problems with my stomach and bowels. But at the time, they helped too.

I have tried to get my doc to prescribe vicoden. He won't. He says to stick with the Tylenol 4's. He says the vicodin is too addicting. And I havent a addiction problem. And then tylenol 4's are addicting too. So whatever to him I say.

Hope I helped...
  16. ThrilSekr

ThrilSekr New Member

Yes, I take it. It makes me sleep for a while and it wears off and then the trips to the bathroom starts. Lately it seems like it takes me longer to fall asleep after taking it. I tried flexiril the other night and had a hangover all day the next day, with dry mouth all day long. And the storm and all that rain here in alabama gave me a fit. It seemed as though I felt worse and to make matters worse, I am still working and had to be out in the rain. I thought it was just my imagination. I felt like calling in sick and just hurt all over like the flu even more than ever during the storm. We now have the sun out after about 7 or 8 days. I hope I feel better now, because after reading what you said about the storm, I see that I felt bad for a reason now, and I wasn't alone. Hope you feel better now that the sun is back.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2002]