Anyone know anything about microdose/cortisol therapy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Sep 11, 2005.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

My husband saw an ad in the paper today for a seminar that will be in town next week.

The people who are running the seminar claim that they have found the 'solution/cure' for painful arthritis, fibromyalgia, and other autoimmune diseases.

I went on their website (the helen foundation clinic) and read the little blip they have on the studies and research the man did for 12 years to try to allievate his wife's arthritic pain and problems.

Being a nurse, some of this actually makes sense, but I'm wondering, if it really IS even a 70% cure, why hasn't my doc or rheumatologist suggested this?

Supposedly you have microdoses of hydrocortisone injected into your body. It sounds like you are the one in control, depending on how inflamed you are feeling.

Just wondering if anyone else ever heard of this? If so, what are the takes out there on this type of therapy??

Thanks!! PG
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I haven't heard of it, but I wonder as you do that if it's so great, why haven't doctors used it? Are you going to go? I'd probably not because I think I might be a hard sell session, and I am uncomfortable in that situation.

However, that is just me. Hope someone has so info on this.

Sue
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

Not sure if this is the same thing...I've had trigger pt injections of a cortisone "cocktail" in lower back...really seemed to help for a few weeks. Then, just recently had different kind of cortisone/lanicane injection in my Bursa (in hip)...didn't do much at all beyond first day or so, and injections themselves can be pretty darn uncomfortable.

Is this what you're talking about? If so, I think they're commonly referred to as trigger point injections...but maybe something totally different.
  4. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I went to the seminar they offered. (husband went too and it was a 'lightbulb' moment for him...I had moaned and groaned for a long time but this time it was validated by someone else and he has very thoughful since)
    I agonized over deciding to go for this microdose therapy. I finally decided it was too expensive for me to not have heard of its success somewhere along the way. It really did sound reasonable (except for the cost) and yet I could see why it cost so much because they monitored you well. I think I let my skeptical side rule on this one.
    I hope someone sees this that can have some positive input.
    My insurance wouldnt cover any of it.

Sounded like a very interesting program.
    take care, Stephanie
  5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I have not tried hydrocortisone injections, but two years ago, my doctor tried me on minute - I do mean really minute - levels of hydrocortisone in tablet form. I had a very bad reaction: he thinks it was due to levels of other things in my system being "out of the normal range" and so the reaction to the hydorcortisone was abnormal. I was glad that I could wean myself off the particles of tablets, but it did take a while for my body - and emotions - to settle down. I would tend to be wary of injecting anything into my body that I could not have removed immediately if there was a negative effect. However, each person is different. Is there some other way you could try it?