Anyone know anything about these blood tests??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalley167, Nov 9, 2005.

1. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have no clue what a few of these mean but they are listed as high. Thought maybe you would know.
    ANA 1:640 speckled pattern, RF 1:160, SS-B 6.0, SM/RNP AB 1.1
    I go back in December to discuss these with the doctor as they don't seem to want to diagnose me for sure but it is indicated its a connective tissue diease, but which one? I have been diagnosed once with Sjogren's as I told you before but this was for a second opinion and to make sure it wasn't Lupus. I wish I had more info. If anyone can find anything out or if you know anything I would appreciate it. I kind of no the ANA and the RF.
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

3. Juloo

Juloo Member

Take parts of what you posted, like:

ANA 1:640 speckled pattern

and put it into a search engine like Google. All sorts of stuff will come up. In fact, the first site that came up when I did that had a lot of information about this.

ALSO...click on the 'cached' site instead of the formal site title. That way, the search terms will be highlighted, and it will be easier to scroll right to the section you need.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2005]
  4. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

now November 16. So I can find out something maybe
  5. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Please post refernce values next to these labs like it is written on the lab sheet. I will try to help.
  6. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

At least if this is what you want.
    SS-B 6.0 Normal Range 0.0-1.0
    SM/RNP AB 1.1 0.0-1.0
  7. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

I looked it up and is very complicated, but may be there is some useful ifo for you. this is info from the lab guidelines.
    " Antibodies to to Sm, RNP, ss-A/Ro and SS-B/La produce speckled pattern. (ANA is fairly non-specific and then the rest of the tests follows).

SSB (La) antibody is seen in 50-60% of Sjögren syndrome cases and is specific if it is the only ENA antibody present. Fifteen-25% of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and 5-10% of patients with progressive systemic sclerosis (PSS) also have this antibody. (You have it, so it is another one for Sjogren, may be).

Antibodies to Sm are highly specific for systemic lupus
    erythematosus (SLE) and when present are considered a
    marker antibody. However, these antibodies are found in
    only 20% of patients with SLE. RNP antibodies (also known
    as anti-u1 or ribonucleoprotein antibodies) are found in
    45% of SLE patients but are also observed in numerous
    other disease states such as Sjogren's syndrome,
    scleroderma and polymyositis.

Elevated levels of antibodies to RNP are seen in mixed connective tissue disease. In SLE, RNP antibodies have been associated with a relatively benign disease course with lower incidence of renal and central nervous system involvement. Patients may be considered positive for RNP antibodies when the RNP antibody result is significantly higher than the Sm
    antibody result."

Sorry I could not be of more help. There are special charts that show which autoimmune panel matches which autoimmune disease, so it looks like a possibility either SLE or Sjogren. I do not have time right now to dig it out, because I understand you need it soon, so Rheumy has to sort it out though, because there is no definite diagnosis, these tests overlap in many, many conditions.
  8. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I have a site that you can look up lab work. here it is.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bun/test.html
    just put what you had in their search engine.

good luck
  9. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

a connective tissue disease. I was so upset when my ANA test was abnormal. I thought for sure I had Lupus or something. However, nothing progressed over the next year and my Rheumy said that a percentage of people will have an abnormal ANA and not be diagnosed with a specific disease. In fact, my father has always tested in the abnormal range, but has never had any disease that he is aware of. He was wondering if the abnormal ANA could be a hereditary thing? I wonder if there's a connection.?
  10. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

test results. So I guess I will hopefully know more after that visit. I went to the eye doctor Sat and he said that my tearducts are working properly and he feels I don't have SS. But with my SSB being so high it indicates something. I am tyring not to jump to any conclusions on my own. I am starting to wonder if I even really want to know. Thanks for taking the time to look those up.