Anyone know anything about ULCERS?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by oylcnharry, Nov 15, 2004.

1. oylcnharry

oylcnharry New Member

because I think I have one. The pain usually started in the middle of the night and gradually got worse. A few days ago, it started in the middle of the day. I thought I was having a heart attack.

I felt like my upper abdomen was in a vise.

Usually the pain dissipates in 4 hours.

Does this sound like an ulcer?
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Try drinking ice cold milk. If the ulcer is high up in your stomach, you may have to lay on the bed and roll over a couple of times to coat the spot. If the pain immediately stops, and then slowly reappears---you probably have an ulcer.

Are you on arthritis meds? It is terribly easy to get an ulcer on them. Make an appt. with your doctor to get on prilosec or something equivalent. This medication takes a while to do its job. In the meantime, take Riopan or Maalox for temporary relief, remove all greasy or spicy food from your diet. Ulcers are nothing to mess with. You don't want it to start bleeding and have to go to the ER.

Drink a full 8 ounces of water with your meds PLUS drink milk too. Eat something with your meds unless it is contraindicated on the insert with the medications.
  3. oylcnharry

oylcnharry New Member

I don't take anything else, and thank God I didn't have to take ibuprofin last week for something else-because I heard that exacerbates it.

I did take maalox and that stopped it for a short while. But then it came back, worse than ever.

I have begun eating very slowly and changed my diet. I am terrified to have a repeat incident.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2004]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I just got thinking---you can purchase Prilosec over -the-counter now. I think the doctors kept me on it for 4 or 6 weeks each time. This drug reduces the amount of acid in your stomach. You also need the maalox or riopan to stop the immediate problems. The prilosec and antacid attack the problem from 2 different directions.

Have you ever had to drink the barium while they take some Xrays? it isn't difficult and would give the doctor a picture of what is actually going on in your stomach.

Did I tell you to raise the headboard portion of you bed up about 4 inches in case this is acid reflux. No coffee, no alcohol, no spicy foods, no greasy foods, no sex---no I'm just kidding about the sex! I'm on muscle relaxers and my sense of humor is a little out of kilter! ha, ha.
  5. oylcnharry

oylcnharry New Member

I don't think I could last.

But maybe I should stop eating salt and too much fruit. Maybe it's also because I go hours without eating.

I guess it doesn't help being an A-type individual.
  6. cookies6912

cookies6912 New Member

Well I can say this, it sounds like you have classic symptoms of an ulcer, the only thing is you need to see a doctor to determine what kind. By that I mean bleeding or gastric. I was just hospitalized with a bleeding ulcer and had the exact symptoms, I too just drank milk, took Tums until the pain was so bad I literally couldn't function. I passed out at work and it turned out that I had a bleeding ulcer and lost half of my blood and needed 2 units. They said it was equal to someone being shot or stabbed. I haven't been the same since. Do yourself a favor and go to a doctor who specializes in this area, and don't wait. I hope this helps!
    LK
  7. oylcnharry

oylcnharry New Member

Have you had to change your life around? What did hospitalization do for your future? Are you doing anything for your ulcer now?

What can I expect during the exam? And now I'm going to have to find myself a doctor. Groan. I just went through hell trying to find a dentist.

This has been some 6-month period for me... Lots of stress- especially in the last couple of months.

Thanks for writing. I hope you are feeling better.