Anyone know how much heparin costs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellyann, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I go to the FFC and the drugs prescibed by the doctor there are not covered by my insurance. I am about to start on heparin shots and wondered if anyone had an idea how much they cost. I already spend a fortune on doctors and medicine every month as it is, I hope it isn't going to be too bad or I'll not be able to do it.

Thanks!
    Kellyann
  2. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

Hi Kellyann,
    I too take Heparin shots, but it is covered under my insurance. I only pay $5 copay. I'm sorry, wish I could be more help. Insurance doesn't cover the syringes though, go figure that one out, and they run about $38 for a box of 100.

Take Care,
    Sturg
  3. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Kellyann,

My insurance now covers the Heparin, but previously I was paying out of pocket. My prescription cost about $88.00 for 36 vials of 10,000 units/cc. I take 6500 units twice a day. So 36 vials lasted about 4 weeks.

Not outrageous by prescription standards.

good luck with it - It made all the difference in the world to me. You'll probably know in the first week how it will work for you.
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Thanks so much for repling to my post!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I guess I forgot I posted it, HAHA!

It has been one of those kind of weeks, I can't remember anything this week.

I do hope the heparin helps. The way my doctor explained it to me is that I have "Sticky" blood. And it makes the blood hard to get through my veins, so with the heprarin to thin it the blood will get back into the veins and I'll be getting oxygen into the cells of my muscles. She says that is why my muscles hurt so bad is because they are starved of oxygen and nutrients. Boy it would be great if the heprarin eased my pain, that would be so wonderful. I can't wait to try it!

I pray you both have a wonderful week and that you are feeling well!

Take Care!
    Kellyann