Anyone know how often you can give catnip to a cat??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

That subject line pretty much covers it. :>)

Oh, except, does anyone know the difference between catMINT and catNIP? Google is confusing on the subject.

[This Message was Edited on 06/21/2007]
  2. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I give my cats catnip anytime they want it.
    There doesn't seem to be any bad side effects.

It's also good for training them. When they're outside and won't come in, I just shake the catnip container and they run in the house.
    I buy the largest size container.
    Hope this helps.
    Do you have a new kitty?
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Bobbi - No, not a new cat. I adopted her from the shelter last December. She was about four years old then. She's no longer growling and nipping like she was at the shelter but she's very anxious. I think we're taking turns with the anxiety thing because her neediness makes me anxious which makes her more needy which.... well, you get the idea. :>(

She wouldn't eat catnip at first but now she does. It seems to calm her.

Thanks for the advice. I may try it myself. I hear it can help you sleep. ;>) Maybe she's just trying to tell me something.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It all depends. Is Sophie the designated driver?

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good to hear from you!

Since catnip seems to cause Sophie to sleep I think she can't be the D.D. Although she's been catting around on the screened porch, flirting with a tom cat that wanders through now and then. It could be that her wild life is catching up with her.

Oh, well. Somebody's gotta do it!

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Bless hubby.... :>/

So, does catnip help calm your cat? I also wonder if the catMINT I'm growing outside can be dried and given to her. I hear that fresh catnip isn't good for them for some reason but at this rate, I need a source.

I can see it now: tough-looking cats appearing at the door with little bags of catnip hidden under their fat coats, flashy rings on their paws......

Sophie is, as we speak, sitting in the foyer watching me pointedly. Yes, that's were she gets the catnip. I'm making her wait for awhile and she's complaining but I don't want to give her another reason to get me up early in the morning.

Thanks for your time. If it's not kids, it's pets.

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks, Diane. I bought her some catnip toys early on but I suspect the herb is pretty stale because she wasn't interested in them. She does like her catnip as often as she can get me to give it to her and it calms her way down.

As I said, I have some catmint growing in the garden and was hoping I could save some $$ by drying it. I'm still not sure. :>P

8. bct

bct Active Member

My cat doesn't like them .... yet.

Catmint is any species of Calamintha.
    Catnip is a species of Nepeta.
    Nepeta and Calamintha are both in the same plant family, Lamiaceae, and cats generally love 'em both.

I like this thread; sorry to be pedantic. As a former botanist just couldn't resist!

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Once a botanist, always a botanist, I always say. ;>)

Thank your for your input. So this is an aquired taste.... That makes sense since the cat wasn't interested in it when I first got her. Could I have driven her to weed???? lol - sorta......

I did see on Google that the two mints were of a different species but from what you say I can assume they're both OK for cats to eat. Now I just need to find out how often I can give it to her. Do you suppose a dishful by her water dish would be overdoing it? Again, I'm sorta joking.

On the other hand, perhaps I need to give in and take Xanax daily. Hate to though.

10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for the laugh and the info. Yes, 'ya gotta watch out for those cat parties!

12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I think how much you give them depends on how much side splitting laughter you can handle! Nothing is as funny and entertaining as a cat on catnip!

(Don't tell the dogs I said that!!)

13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Catnip puts Sophie to sleep!

I wonder if it comes in IV form?