anyone know how the Procit study is going for CFS???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

Anyone know anyone taking Procrit wheather they are in the study or not, for CFS? Do you know when the Miami Procrit study will be done?

Hopefully the University of Reno new 10 million CFS lab will be open soon as I'm not to far from it and maybe they will do a procrit study too.
    Rene
  2. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi I do know it has helped some but wonder if anyone has more info on how the study goes.
    Take care,
    Rene
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

recommended that I see a Hematologist who can do this test for Iron levels and red blood cells. HE has prescribed Procrit for a lot of his patients and has seen great results. I started teh FFC protocal and they didn't think I needed further testing but if I don't get better with the FFC I will look into taking it.
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Jane you are lucky you found a doc to give it to you I went to the NIH and they measured my blood but nobody will give it to me as it is still being studied!
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've used this with dibetics that are on dialysis.

It appears that you would need to be anemic to benefit from this drug. Here's what I've found regarding the study:

"University of Miami Seeks CFS Patients to Participate in Study of Procrit

Sponsored by : National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH

Principal Investigators:Barry Hurwitz, PhD, Nancy Klimas,
    MD
    University of Miami
    Phone: 305-575-7154

The Behavioral Medicine Research Center at the University of Miami are investigating a potential treatment for CFS. The study is a placebo-controlled clinical trial in which Procrit is prescribed to the participants for 13 weeks. Procrit is a drug that has been used for over a decade to treat anemia. It increases the production of red blood cells, which have been discovered to be low in many CFS patients. Because the red blood cell delivers oxygen to the body, it is projected that this treatment will reduce the fatigue experienced by individuals with CFS.

They are looking for CFS patients in the South Florida area, and qualified participants will be compensated for their time, as well as receive free studies medications, medical examinations and detailed information about their health."