Anyone know how to find reference ranges for specific blood tests

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Bunchy

    Bunchy New Member

    My wrists are hurting so I'll keep this short.

    I had a very high sed rate for a few years, now it's really quite low.

    My Rheumatoid factor and ANA is raised (for at least two years now).

    I'd like to know the normal ranges for these tests - can't seem to find anything on google.

    I'm experiencing increased FM and neuropathic pain along with more joint pain recently.

    I want to be informed when I next visit my GP (clueless - well I am in the UK so no surprise

    So can anyone tell me the normal ranges for these tests and also explain what a constantly "weak positive" ANA result means? (We do not get given titers in the UK).

    Can't write anymore for now.

    Hope everyone has a good night and thanks in advance for any help.

    Love Bunchy x
  2. tansy

    tansy New Member

    Hi Bunchy

    The web site Kina recommended is excellent.

    I have had both a high sed rate and a very low one; a low sed rate is often reported in ME/CFS and is referred to in ISAC, as defined by David Berg. ISAC is related to the build up of fibrin and is often referred to as sticky blood.

    Tests done through Hemex show a very high incidence of ISAC in patients with ME/CFS and lyme; approx 75% tested also had an inherited coagulopathy identified indicating there is an inherited tendancy to this problem. There are various triggers for ISAC and coagulation cascades; infections are one of them.

    The local Haematology Dept describe something similar, based on test results, across three generations of my family. Their recommendation is for aspirin but I cannot tolerate it and my son found it wasn't effective enough. We both use fibrinolytic enzymes and they help.

    Though Hughes Syndrome is not the exactly same patients who have this can experience joint and neuropathic pain. About 5% who've been Dx with MS are said to be suffering from Hughes Syndrome instead which needs a different treatment.

    Your GP can do some basic tests. If you feel this may be an issue you can ask for a referral to an NHS haematologist who specialises in clotting disorders. However, if it's not Hughes Syndrome, you may find yourself back at square one again. We just struck lucky but in the UK there remain very few NHS treatment options.

    I asked one of the local haematologists for the actual results of my blood tests and he sent me copies of them. You may be able to access your actual test results by requesting copies of them from the Hospital Trust where the tests were done.

    Good luck.

    tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2008]

[ advertisement ]