Anyone know how to make hot packs from herbs, rice, etc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsED, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mrsED

mrsED New Member

My heat packs help me survive, but they can quickly go from fragrant to just plain stinky!

Any suggestions for making them would be appreciated. I was even thinking they would make cute Christmas gifts. Everyone has aches and pains sometimes.

Thanks a lot.
    Sharon
  2. mrsED

mrsED New Member

bumping for ideas
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Tie it at the top and put it into the microwave. It can be used over and over. You can untie it and emply the rice, wash the sock, and refill it. Even easier would be to make a cover for it and wash the cover. If you use a tube sock, it can be wrapped around the body.

If you want, you can add lavender to the rice to make it smell better but be careful of allergies.

Love, Mikie
  4. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I'm going to try it. The way I'm feeling lately, I need to wrap my whole body.
    May God bless you and continue to heal us all.

Sharon
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About the rice socks is that they produce a more moist heat than elec. heating pads. The moist heat is what they use in physical therapy.

Love, Mikie
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I have lived almost constantly at times with my rice sock hung around my neck. When I went to the chiro I mentioned my rice sock and he said not to use it more than 30 min. Then 2 hours off. He said that a lot of times, because the heat feels so good, we overdo and then the condition is worsened.
  7. mrsED

mrsED New Member

for your thoughts and ideas.
    Sharon
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That way, if I want to apply ice, the rice sock isn't so cold--just cold enough to feel good. If I want heat, I just pop it in the microwave.

Alternating heat and cold often works well.

Love, Mikie