Anyone know how/where to get medigap ins. for disabled under 65 yrs. old.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PJB, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. PJB

    PJB New Member

    I'm on disability for FMS/CFS and have medicare A and B. I've looked around and all the medigap policies are for those over 65 years old. I live in Illinois and I'm 54 yrs. old. Anyone have an idea where I might get info. Tried AARP with no luck. Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2003]
  2. Dara

    Dara New Member

    coverage that you're looking for now. What about the insurance carrier you had before receiving Medicare? Are you married and on your spouses' insurance policy? I thought most insurance companies had a conversion policy where you could get the medigap after you qualified for Medicare. Have you tried calling your State Insurance Commissioners Office to see if they could give you any information? I would try calling some of the larger insurance companies, like Blue Cross for example, ask them that if they don't provide this type of policy maybe they can tell you who does.

    Good luck, let me know what you find out, ok?

  3. klutzo

    klutzo New Member

    I tried to do this also, many years ago and gave up. I did find one company that would write a policy on me, Liberty Mutual, I think it was called, but it was so much money, it wasn't even in the ballpark. You might try Liberty Mutual if you can afford it.
  4. PJB

    PJB New Member

    I got medicare about five months ago. I did some searching and only found a couple that where WAY more than I could afford. You have to sign up within six months to have past med problems exempt. I got discouraged at the time and put it off. Now I'm trying one last time to see if anything is out there before the six months are up. But, with the brain fog I can't remember where I look before so I'll have to start all over and check the places you suggested. Thanks all.