Anyone know if there is something that works like Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jun 28, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My doctor gave me Cymbalta and it is working great. I wake up before the alarm feeling good and am no longer falling asleep all day but with my insurance the co-pay is $50.

I am very glad that it works so well, but would like something cheaper.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Boy, if it is working for you, I'd gladly pay the $50, because I doubt you would find anything that would work as well. Be happy you have found something.

I realize that copay is high and it will be a long time before it goes to be generic, but what can you do?

Two of the meds I take are $35 copay, the Detrol for overactive bladder and the Cytomel for hypothyroidism.

Glad you are feeling better. :)

Love,
    Faye
  3. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I've tried prozac, lexapro, effexor and now cymbalta. Nothing works like cymbalta. I pay (3) 30.00 co-pays
    for my meds, plus vitamins. Be happy with the 50.

I've heard Milnacipran is like Cymbalta, maybe better but it's not approved by FDA yet in the US and when it is, you can bet it won't be cheap either.

4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Faye, I am with you on that one. Praise God that my other 2 meds are old and cheap (clonazapem - generic Klonopin and amitriptiline - generic Elavil) and cost about $4 each.

The Cymbalta has been miraculous for me so far. I feel almost normal as far as energy is concerned. I had gone down so far with fatigue it was totally awful. I don't know what makes it work but I really don't care.

I had called the pharmacy Tuesday after work to ask if it was available in generic and was told no. Initially the doc gave me 3 weeks of samples to see how it would work for me.

So I came home Tuesday deciding to call the doc to see if he could prescribe something else but when I woke up before the alarm alert and ready to face the day and eager to get going like I used to be, I changed my mind.

I did get on Healthkeepers website and see that the drug is a tier 3 and knew that it would be $50 a month. But if anyone remembers my post on Tunguska Blast, that is $50 also and hubby was all gung ho saying that it was worth it if it worked.

Well, it doesn't but this does. I also decided that the results were worth the cost. I will check with the doc to see if I can get some samples along the way and what I should do is get it through the mail order program where I can get 3 months worth for 2 co-pays so that will bring the cost down to $33 a month.

Faye, I am glad you are still with us. I hope that all is well for you.

Sonya
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

If it's working, I'd pay the $50.

I'm on Effexor, have been for years. I get a discount on my meds, but still ends up being around $50.

All these type meds are expensive. (unfortunately)

Hugs,
    C-mom