Anyone know much about T3,Total? Need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I have been dog tired for a few months now. Some days I keep moving just to keep from taking a nap. If I take a nap during the day, I feel like crap and then can't sleep at night.

Anyway, I complained to my Dr. again and he sent me for blood test again for my thyroid. I've been on synthroid for 5 years and am now at .1 dosage.

My thyroid tests showed

T3, TOTAL 198 (in June it was 216)
    T-3 UPTAKE 26
    T-4 FREE 1.2
    TSH 1.55

He must think they are fine as he didn't say anything about them. But that could be because he sent me for the liver blood test and then the liver ultrasound and was more concerned about that.

Anyway, the only thing that shows high on my thyroid is the T3, TOTAL. I've read alot about the thyroid but you know how it is when you read to much, you just get more confused.

But I am so tired all the time. What is making me so tired? Any ideas out there? I could go to bed at 8pm every night but I don't. I wait til at least 9 or later. And I get up at 6am to get my husband out the door.

Thanks for listening. I hope someone has a clue.

bozey
  2. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear Bosey, I know what you mean about confusing thyroid. I have finally found a good doctor who explains everything in simple terms and s-l-o-w-l-y: he even lets me tape my appointment with him so I can go through it later on. My thryoid is still not 'normal' and in Aust. we have different measurement terms, so any advice can only be general. I think that just because your t3's show normal, or even high, on a blood test means very little.
    *Find out about saliva testing for t3's - it is a better measurement tool.

* Also just because your doctor did not say anything does not mean that things are ok. He might be tired, or not know what else he can do.

*Investigate vitamin D3 and have appropriate tests done. Check D3 threads for more information. My body was unable to ulilize the thyroid medication I was on until my D3 levels were raised to normal. Tests showed normal, but the med. was not working. However, there is some debate re. D3 - but, in conjunction with thyroid medication, it is working for me. Rest more.
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

T3 (Tri-Iodothyronine): Increased in hyperthyroidism. Decreased in hypothyroidism

Optimal Adult Range: 26-30

T4 (Tetra-Iodothyronine): Increased in hyperthyroidism. Decrease in hypothyroidism

Optimal Adult Range: 7-8.5

T7 (FTI-Free Thyroxine Index)

Optimal Adult Range: 1.9-2.5

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone): is used to confirm or rule out suspected hypothyroidism when T3, T4, T7 are essentially normal and clinical signs suggest hypothyroidism

Optimal Adult Range: 4.0-8.0

If liver function is poor, that can result in fatigue as well. Here are some facts for liver tests:

Albumin: The most abundant protein in the blood, it is made in the liver and is an antioxidant that protects your tissues from free radicals. It binds waste products, toxins and dangerous drugs that might damage the body. Is also is a major buffer in the body and plays a role in controlling the precise amount of water in our tissues. It serves to transport vitamins, minerals and hormones. Lower levels are seen in poor diets, diarrhea, fever, infections, liver disease, kidney disease, third-degree burns, edemas or hypocalcemia.

Optimal Adult Range: 4.0-4.4

Albumin 3.5 or below with a 1500 or less lymphocyte count is one of the four OMINOUS signs

Calcium/Albumin Ratio: elevated in malnutrition or visceral protein loss.

Levels higher than 2.7 is one of the four OMINOUS SIGNS

Globulin: Globulins have many diverse functions such as, the carrier of some hormones, lipids, metals, and antibodies. High levels are found in chronic infections, liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis, myelomas and lupus. Lower levels may be seen in immune compromised patients, poor dietary habits, malabsorption, liver and kidney disease.

Optimal Adult Range: 2.8- 3.5

A/G Ratio: is an important indicator of disease states. Low ratio suggests ulcerative colitis, burns, kidney disease, cirrhosis, multiple myeloma.

A/G ratio less than 1.0 is one of the four OMINOUS signs

Optimal Adult Range:1.5

Alkaline Phosphatase: Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme that is found in all body tissue, but the most important sites are bone, liver, bile ducts and the gut. A high level of alkaline phosphatase in your blood may indicate bone, liver or bile duct disease. Certain drugs may also cause high levels. Growing children, because of bone growth, normally have a higher level than adults do. Low levels indicate low functioning adrenal glands, protein deficiency, malnutrition or more commonly, a deficiency in zinc.

Optimal Adult Range: 60-80

Transaminases (SGTP) & (SGOT): These are enzymes that are primarily found in the liver. Drinking too much alcohol, certain drugs, liver disease and bile duct disease can cause high levels in the blood. Hepatitis is another problem that can raise these levels. Low levels of GGT may indicate a magnesium deficiency. Low levels of SGPT and SGOT may indicate deficiency of vitamin B6.

Optimal Adult Range: 18-26

Gamma-Glutamyl transerase (GGT): Believed to be involved in the transport of amino acids into cells as well as glutathione metabolism. Found in the liver and will rise with alcohol use, liver disease, or excess magnesium. Decreased levels can be found in hypothyroidism and more commonly decreased magnesium levels.

Optimal Adult Range: 1- 40

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH): LDH is an enzyme found in all tissues in the body. A high level in the blood can result from a number of different diseases such as hepatitis, anemia etc. Also, slightly elevated levels in the blood are common and usually do not indicate disease. The most common sources of LDH are the heart, liver, muscles, and red blood cells.

Optimal Adult Range: 120-160

Total Protein: This is a measure of the total amount of protein in your blood. A low or high total protein does not indicate a specific disease, but it does indicate that some additional tests may be required to determine if there is a problem.

Optimal Adult Range: 7.1-7.6

4. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

You didn't give the referance ranges for your lab work.
    The first thing you should have tested is thyroid antibodies. The only thyroid test you need is Free t4 and Free t3. If you have thyroid antibodies you can throw the TSH out the window.
    I have anti-Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies. Which means I have Hashimoto's thyroditis. If you read below it says High titres of thyroid autoantibodies, particularly to thyroid microsomes, is associated with increased likelihood of progress to myxoedema as it reflects increased damage to the thyroid cells.
    If you have thyroiditis you can swing between being hyperthyroid and hypothyroid. If your t3 is high and TSH low you could be showing the signs of being hyperthyroid. Latter you'll most likely go hypothyroid again. The leavels of thyroid hormone in the blood is changing from day to day.
    Thyroiditis will cause more damage to the thyroid if left untreated.
    When I first got sick 5 yrs ago I was on synthyroid .05mcg.
    My TSh was 1.7 within the normal range. It wasn't until last year I swithched to Armour Thyroid that I started to get better.
    My doctors wouldn't order thyroid antibodies cause they said my thyroid wasn't enlarged, but they got it wrong. I finally had thyroid antibodies done this year.
    My TSH is .04 and I presently take 3 grs Armour Thyroid or 300mcg synthyroid.
    A good place to read up on thyroid antibodies.

http://www.drlowe.com/QandA/askdrlowe/antibody.htm

Thyroid

There are 2 types of thyroid hormones easily measurable in the blood, thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). For technical reasons, it is easier and less expensive to measure the T4 level, so T3 is usually not measured on screening tests.

Please be clear on which test you are looking at. We continue to see a tremendous amount of confusion among doctors, nurses, lab techs, and patients on which test is which. In particular, the "Total T3", "Free T3" and "T3 Uptake tests" are very confusing, and are not the same test.

Thyroxine (T4) . This shows the total amount of the T4. High levels may be due to hyperthyroidism, however technical artifact occurs when estrogen levels are higher from pregnancy, birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy. A Free T4 (see below) can avoid this interference.

T3 Resin Uptake or Thyroid Uptake. This is a test that confuses doctors, nurses, and patients. First, this is not a thyroid test, but a test on the proteins that carry thyroid around in your blood stream. Not only that, a high test number may indicate a low level of the protein! The method of reporting varies from lab to lab. The proper use of the test is to compute the free thyroxine index.

Free Thyroxine Index (FTI or T7) : A mathematical computation allows the lab to estimate the free thyroxine index from the T4 and T3 Uptake tests. The results tell us how much thyroid hormone is free in the blood stream to work on the body. Unlike the T4 alone, it is not affected by estrogen levels.

Free T4 : This test directly measures the free T4 in the blood rather than estimating it like the FTI. It is a more reliable , but a little more expensive test. Some labs now do the Free T4 routinely rather than the Total T4.

Total T3: This is usually not ordered as a screening test, but rather when thyroid disease is being evaluated. T3 is the more potent and shorter lived version of thyroid hormone. Some people with high thyroid levels secrete more T3 than T4. In these (overactive) hyperthyroid cases the T4 can be normal, the T3 high, and the TSH low. The Total T3 reports the total amount of T3 in the bloodstream, including T3 bound to carrier proteins plus freely circulating T3.

Free T3: This test measures only the portion of thyroid hormone T3 that is "free", that is, not bound to carrier proteins.

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) : This protein hormone is secreted by the pituitary gland and regulates the thyroid gland. A high level suggests your thyroid is underactive, and a low level suggests your thyroid is overactive.

What are Thyroid Antibodies?

Greater than 82% of the patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and 60-70% of the patients with Grave’s disease have elevated anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb). TgAb can predict a worsening of or a progression toward thyroiditis. They can also be found in differentiated thyroid carcinoma and their disappearance after treatment indicates a favorable prognosis

Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb) are found in nearly all Hashimoto’s cases and greater than 70% of Grave’s patients. TPOAb is associated with destruction of thyroid tissue in Hashimoto’s. Together these antibody tests increase the diagnostic sensitivity of autoimmune thyroid disease and possibly other diseases as well.

Thyroglobulin autoantibodies are present in:

Grave's disease
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis
    idiopathic thyroid atrophy
    De Quervain's thyroiditis - transiently
    7% of males, and 15-20% of females without thyroid disease

Antithyroid peroxidase antibodies (previously known as
    thyroid microsome autoantibodies) are present at:

high titre, in:
    Hashimoto's thyroiditis
    idiopathic thyroid atrophy
    low titre, in:
    Grave's disease
    De Quervain's thyroiditis
    8% of males, and 10% of females without thyroid disease
    High titres of thyroid autoantibodies, particularly to thyroid microsomes, is associated with increased likelihood of progress to myxoedema as it reflects increased damage to the thyroid cells.

Other thyroid autoantibodies are not routinely measured.