Anyone know of a fm doc in the portland oregon area?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wendye, Sep 21, 2006.

1. wendye

wendye Member

I have been through it all. Still no dx and new symptoms keep coming. If anybody knows of a good doc that could help me please let me know. I would rather not go downtown Portland but maybe the surronding area. I live in Oregon city. Thanks so much. I am tired of going to quacks.

Wendy
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm from Michigan. Just bumping up your message.

Ellen
  3. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Hi.... I am with you!!....I live near Roseburg and no docs around here but I would be willing to drive the 3 hours to Portland if I coulod find a good doc!! Let me know if ya get any hits on a doc...Thanks, Mickie!!
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

There must be someone out there who lives in Oregon....Hopefully we can find some help
  5. wendye

wendye Member

Thank you so much for the replies. I am so scared cause I really do not know what I am dealing with here. Why do we have to go through so much crap to find out what we really have.

Hugs Wendy
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

the other day (on Portland daughter's behalf) and this is a response I got from padre:

"Oregon Health Science University is one of the top three or four medical schools on the west coast. It is located in Portland on top of the hill. They have a department working on FMS and CFS as well as a nationally recognized pain clinic. You can go on their website for more information and then call."

Sounds like a good place to start, but I haven't called yet. Not sure how to begin. I too, am hesitant to get the response of non-recognition. I looked up their website and didn't look real thoroughly, but didn't see fibro or CFS mentioned. I'm sure it's true tho, as I've heard about this resource and their research in this area.

Good luck and please post if YOU look into OHSU.
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I looked up there sight the other day also. I found FM under arthritis. I also have not made a call but I also think it is the next step for me!!
  8. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I live in the outlying portland area. I have heard of some doctors in the area that treat FM but for the life of me I cant remember names other than one, Kemple, Dr. Kip (I think) Kemple. I beleive he has an office in NW portland.

I remember reading his name somewhere in association with fibro. The only reason I can remember that name is he used to be a neighbor of mine years ago...I didnt know him other than in passing.

I have Kaiser insurance so havent looked for a doctor elsewhere.

I hope this helps a little. sorry I cant remember any others.
    good luck, stephanie
  9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Wendye, if you are still searching for a great fibro doctor I can recommend Dr. Kip Kemple or his partner Dr. Gandler. They are located on 23rd and Northrup (NW Portland) but also have offices in Gresham and Salem. He is a rheumatologist but has extensive expertise in fibro. Actually his office in NW Portland is easy to get to from Oregon City (I live in Milwaukie area). It's so important to have a doctor who understands fibromyalgia, myofacial pain, cfs, arthritis, etc. since they all seem to "clump" together. Good luck.
  10. wendye

wendye Member

I went to Dr. gandler about almost 2 years ago and was in there way over 2 hours. He did not do the pressure piont test on me just pointed on different spots on my body and asked if I had pain there. The reason I did not like him is when going over the questions on all the paper work I was told to just answer yes or no. This was very hard for me as i was in alot of distres at the time cause I had no idea what was going on with my body. I wanted to talk. I went back for a second visit and he had a three page typed out report on me from the 1st visit. I asked about fm and he more or less said I had locialized fm pain but not nearly the diffuse pain as in regular fm people. Then he went on to say that it could turn into full blown fm. I wish I would have picked kimple. The last words he said to me were what ever you do don't let yourself get fat and can you imange having that pain all over your body.

I was very dizzy at that time and had horrible chest pains and still do. He had no idea why I was dizzy and I thought fm could cause this symptom. Wendy
  11. wendye

wendye Member

Hi Nancy

You do have fm right. You live close to me. Do you see Dr. Kimple or Gandler. I was wondering how old u are if you don't mind. I am 46 and am really suffering as I have been through so much trying to fiqure this out. And feel bad most days now.

Hugs Wendy
  12. wendye

wendye Member

Does anybody know what the web site is for oshu in portland oregon? Thanks

Wendy
  13. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

www.ohsu.com Just go to the website and look under arthritis. Thats what I did. I am calling on Monday morning to make an appt. Hope this helps you!! Mickie!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2006]
  14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm in San Francisco but have a Daughter going to Grad
    school in Portland. She has Lyme but has pretty much
    givenup on "traditional medicine". But Fredericka lives
    by you and I believe has a fairly good "history" in the
    Area. She may know of some sources there! Tell her that
    her BF recommended you contact her!!

Leave her a Post and good luck in your pursuit!
    MRDAD
    P.S. (There "ain't" much help here
    either)???
  15. wendye

wendye Member

Thank you for the reply. Please let me know what happens with ohsu. I kinda thought you had to be refered by your doc to get put on the list. My doc offered to do this for me. But I don't know weather I want to go there or not.

Hugs Wendy
  16. wendye

wendye Member

I will try and do that. Thank you for the help.

Take care. Hugs Wendy
  17. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

The FFC centers are opening a center there sometime this fall, you could check their website to see if it's open or not.

Gretchen
  18. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Something I was reading recently listed a FM Dr. in Portland--I think either on Division or Glisan St around
    175th. I hope this helps. I'll keep looking for the article I read it in.
  19. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

This needs ti be at the top of the list for us west coast people....
  20. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I didn't see anything on the website about having to be refered but I am sure my doc will refer me if I need it. I will let you know tomorrow after I call...Mick!!