Anyone know of some good "Work from Home" opportunity's?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gamecockfan04, May 23, 2006.

1. gamecockfan04

gamecockfan04 New Member

For those that dont know me, my wife has Fibro and has decided that she wants to quit her job, which I totally support, because her job is very stressful and causes flare-ups all the time from the stress. However, for us to be able to get by financially sound, she will somehow need to make around $800 a month doing some type of job from home if possible basically to cover her van payment and insurance. So, just wondering if there are some opportunities out there that any of you know of that would allow her to do this maybe 20hrs a week, or so and thats not going to be too much stress and agrivation?
    Thanks,
  2. gamecockfan04

gamecockfan04 New Member

Yes, Ive completely gone through our budget over and over and unless I get that "big raise:lol:"anytime soon, we will be short insurance and van payment, so roughly right at $500-$800. She honestly hasnt had much time for a hobby with work and our 2 kids and she's also the Assistant Troop leader of our daughters Girl Scouts. She's very fast at typing and I mentioned being a Transcriptionist, but she told me she would have to get a degree our something to do that.
  3. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Be careful - there are a lot of scams out there! Especially the medical transcription jobs - any company that wants you to pay a fee to receive training materials or to provide you with a list of companies you can work for are probably not on the up and up. I think your wife is right about needing some sort of degree.

Can your wife do anything part-time for the company she is with now? Do you have any friends who own their own companies? Sometimes they need data entry help.

Good luck.
  4. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I checked into that medical transcriptionist stuff and if you have about $3000 for the training then go for it
  5. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Hello!

My cousin, who also has Fibro, has her own Health Products Distribution with USANA. She seems to do really well with it. Worth looking into.

Good luck in your research.
  6. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

A lot of call centers are farming out jobs to people to work at home. There are several companies. You can pick your shifts when you want to work. You can even work 1 hour a day. It's answering the phone and entering people's orders into the computer.

I can't think of any companies offhand. It also depends on where you live. You can earn $10-13 an hour depending on what clients your working on.

I wouldn't mind doing this if I get better.
  7. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

filing for disability status? That could bring in some monthly income.

I did read that the transcriptionist job is going to be obsolete, because they have machines now that can actually type the words you're speaking.

I've been thinking about trying to sell items on eBay (and getting my Mom to take the items to the Post Office for shipping). My sister has had great success on eBay selling everything under the sun - clothes, furniture, and a lot of our family's heirlooms!
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am in the insurance business (for over 30 years) and have my own agency for ten years. I specialize in commercial property and casualty insurance only.

I received a call the other day from a marketing rep whose company is launching a new product called special needs. Basically it is small whole like insurance, like 10 and 20,000 policies with no medical underwriting. The money is for funeral, bills, misc. expenses when one passes.

The target market for this product is people age 55 and up with household income of less that 50,000.

Anyway, the commission is 60% and they provide you the leads meaning you are not doing any cold calling etc. (I never did that in my business anyway).

They will be doing tons of tv and newspaper advertising so they need agents to handle the leads.

You could certainly do this from home. If you have phone, computer, fax machine - all the better.

I did some quick numbers and figured if you sold 30 policies in one month where they paid 50. a month (which is not unreasonable), the commission income would be $10,800.

You would need to get a life insurance license which is easy. Believe me, this would be "cash cow" and to me seems like a needed product.

I am even going to add it to my agency and have one person work on it.

I am glad to answer any questions if anyone is interested.

By the way, this would have nothing to do with me - you would need to call the insurance company directly and tell them you are interested and see where it leads.

Normally, if you have experience in sales it is a help. You would not be an employee of the insurance company - this would be starting your own business, representing their product. Hope that makes sense...

9. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I used to work for a company called west. Website is workathomeagent. something? can't remember.

Anyway, depending on the available hours she has, she can easily do inbound sales for them. You have to have DSL and a quiet work space but they take calls for several different companies.

There is a message board about it called work place like home. I am sure you can google it. Tons of info, plus other companies too!
  10. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

advertised is a scam. I know. I fell for one several yrs ago. making baby headbands. I had to send in (I think it was )$80. What I got was a paper that had been copied too many times with a piece of elastic, a piece of lace, and instructions to go out and buy ribbons(YARDS andYARDS) beads and all kinds of things to make these headbands. I fell for it. I had 2 little ones at home and we really needed money. Of course, they sent me a note saying it did not meet their standards. I wrote back telling them that they should be so lucky to have my expertise and If I didnt get my money back, I would be contacting my lawyer.

I was lucky. I got my money back but still lost the $75 that I had spent on the materials.

What makes you think your wife can work from home when she cant go out and work. Have you thought about a second job? Maybe the van should go. Good luck

Suzette
  11. gamecockfan04

gamecockfan04 New Member

Its not that she cant work, but the fact that her job is entirely to stressful which causes constant flare ups. She also wants to be a stay at home mom, but we will need that extra $500-$800 a month until my salary increases and the Van is paid off. I would be more than willing to help, or even do the 2nd job, but she has made it clear that she doesnt want me gone all the time and if I had a 2nd job she'd rarley see me and its not worth that.
  12. gamecockfan04

gamecockfan04 New Member

She has started to only drink diet soda's and uses Splenda and no, she does not chew gum very often.
  13. luvallpaws

luvallpaws New Member

Hi. I have both severe CFIDS and Severe Fibro (tho the latter is hopefully in remission). I have also been looking for Work at Home opportunities that are not scams. I tried Melaleuca at one time, but did not have the contacts to build a business. Nonetheless they have great products and although you have to buy 35.00/ mo on products, that is easy. The products are all natural, and do not have anything that is harmful to those of us with chemical sensitivites. The only problem that I had was that I did not want to do the training (having been in sales) and after having isolated so much, could nto promote the products. There are several different groups (all from Melaleuca), but with different sales ideas and assistance. I can put you in touch with someone or send you a copy of her email (as I was thinking about joining again). There is an initial investment of 29.95 for materials, and a video, and since I was a member/customer, they have added more products (see www.melaleuca.com). If I can find an old business card, I can let you know the name ...okay, it is call the M.O.M. Team. They have a great long distance plan and some other perks. I never built a business, but you can do as much as you like. I am going to look into some of the others listed on this site. Feel free to email me, and I will give you a contact or forward the email to you. You get all of the support that you want and more. I just wasn't up to it, and due to a move, am not quite ready to do so once again.
  14. luvallpaws

luvallpaws New Member

This is part 2, in response to the original message. I have also found some sites that let you know what are scams and what are not. I also found one site selling Noni Juice and the products (vitamins and special products for calmness or memory were excellrent, though expensive). I have the info on that saved. If you would like it, I can send you to the fellow's website. Again you have to buy a certain amount per month, and I did not think that they had enough products (Melaleuca prices were much better and they have everything)...but it was worth looking into). I am buying items and going to sell on eBay once again. I have done well in the past and can have my Mom ship products three times a week. It is worth it. There are many people (like me) who shop online and don't want to pay full-price.
    I always use Paypal, and am very careful with my listing policies so that I don't have non-paying bidders.
  15. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I work on the side for a company as a programmer. I have high speed internet access so it is a breeze. I can work anytime of the day or night. I do have a full time job now because I needed the benefits. My longist gig was for 70 an hour and I worked 60 hours a week at home for over a year. Great money but I had no disability insurance or did not pay into unemployment so when my gig ended I had a month without pay until I found a full time job. I have been here since but I still do programming on the side. I am trying to do as much as I can while I am pretty "healthy". I am 42 and want to retire by 50 and afford a large boat to live on. I'm half way there $ wise. I will probably never really retire. I also run a support group for FMS and CFIDS and have an Antique Mall. So I am a busy guy for having FMS and CFIDS. Other than computers I guess you can do medical billing, when I was married my wife did e-bay full time and she made enough to quit her job as a manager for a large home health-care company. But that is a lot of work, banking, packing, and shipping. But there are more and more companies that take over shipping etc and with paypal it makes it easier. Every year more and more people are telecommuniting. Even where I work now as a programmer there is really no need for me to be at my desk everyday but that is want they want. I could work from home(if they let me) and come in once a week for meetings. What kind of job did she work at. Is it something where she could have approached them about working from home? Or could she use her skills in the market to work from home? Just some thoughts. Bobby