Anyone know what I can do about this horrible Psoriasis?! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Jan 12, 2006.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Hey, All!

PROBLEM:

I have Psoriasis on my scalp, it's been over 2 months now, and it has become almost unbearable! I'm scratching so much that I'm damaging my scalp! I've been following my doc's advice for steroid cream on the "bad spots", and using Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo; no luck.

Does anyone know of any effective things I can be doing? Is there a different OTC shampoo that works better? Any natural home remedies that anyone knows about?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
    Hugs!
    Starr
  2. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about how the psoriasis is giving you such a hard time. I too have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. There is alot of really good information at the National Psoriasis Foundation and their web site is as follows: www.psoriasis.org Hope you are able to find it okay and they also have a message board.

Take care,

Sandy
  3. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I don't personally have it but I use to work for a Dermatologist who specialized in it's treatment, just thought I would pass it on.

I know that many people are "fearful" of the sun and in most cases rightly so...however the sun does have things that we *need* to some degree. Vitamin D has been found to help...there is a cream Vitamin D dirivitive specifically for psoriasis...sorry can't remember the name. However the thing that he used that he had the best results with for his patients was tanning beds...well sorta. They were stand up beds made for this use specifically and they had a higher concentartion of the "suns rays" (uva/b?). His patients would come between 1-3 days a week in the begining of treatment for about 20 min and then could decrease/increae as needed for flares. As it was rather expensive many would come for intial treatments and then use regualr tanning beds for maintanice. It seems it also helped with pain to a degree...many with the arthritic form or other bone/joint problems often reported improvemnt with the tanning beds...

All the nurses in the office kept a very nice year round tan...we would use them during our lunch breaks...and I did notice an improvement in my bone/joint pain when I used them on a regular basis.

Just something I wanted to pass on...As I know for me the "sun" usually does wonders for how i feel overall...come to think of it I normally have just really dry skin, nothing big but during the summer or when I used tanning beds...lotion or not my skin is always more hydrated...hum...

hope you get some relife
    Amy
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Have you tried taking high strength fish oil (or flax seed oil if you're a veggie) capsules?
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

another good tipis to think nuetral,ie soaps/bubbles are out think on your shampoo the kindest you can find and wasihng powder/softener.
    i suffer excema and my daughter with psoriasis and we have to cut stuff out that might aggravate.
  6. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

for the great tips! I went to the NPF website a couple of you recommended and got some great ideas there, too! Thanks again!

Hugs!
    Starr
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have psoriasis in my scalp and on my feet. Sometimes, I think that I should change my name to Jobette.

However, the scaling can permit bacterial infection under the scales.

I have found that the best thing to do is to use a prescription shampoo for dandruff and one of the tar shampoos at the same time.

It does really assist in clearing it up.