Anyone know what this means...my doc is testing me for...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Immune response ++ to varous causes ? signs autoimmune

(ANA) Antinuclear antibodies (ANA)
    (TTG) Coeliac-related autoantibodies (TTG)
    (RAL) Rheumatoid factor
    (TRAB) Thyroid Receptor Antibodies

These are all via a blood test which I have to visit the hospital for..

*I know the coeliac one is gluten allergy cos I asked for it but don't know what the others are...

You don't get much time to 'talk' at an appt. with your doc usually in the UK
    ...She said Ihave had some of these before but that in light of a worsening of my symptoms they are worth doing again.

If anyone can give me more of an idea of what all these tests are aimed at finding out, I'd really appreciate it.. :)

Thanks, Shell :)
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

is the only one I've had; it's basically used as a test to see if you might have Lupus.

I think (but am not certain) that the RAL is a test for rheumatoid arthritis.

There are some really knowledgeable people here on the boards, and I know they can help you more than I can with these.

I'm sorry to hear you're getting worse. It's hopeful that at least they're willing to do some more testing for you. I hope they find out something and can help you get better again!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. frango2

frango2 New Member

The last test is for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis... an auto-immune Thyroid disorder.
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I hope something turns up from these tests! I'm fed up! Shell
  5. goldengoddess

goldengoddess New Member

RAL
    The rheumatoid factor (RF) test is primarily used to help diagnose rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and to distinguish it from other forms of arthritis and other conditions that cause similar symptoms of joint pain, inflammation, and stiffness.
    http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/rheumatoid/test.html

ANA
    Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) are unusual antibodies, detectable in the blood, that have the capability of binding to certain structures within the nucleus of the cells.
    ANAs are found in patients whose immune system may be predisposed to cause inflammation against their own body tissues
    We normally have antibodies in our blood that repel invaders into our body, such as virus and bacteria microbes. Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs) are unusual antibodies, detectable in the blood, that have the capability of binding to certain structures within the nucleus of the cells.
    The ANA test is a sensitive screening test used to detect autoimmune diseases
    http://www.medicinenet.com/antinuclear_antibody/article.htm

Hope this helps in some way!

GG
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

tests so well! I really appreciate it! That really helped... Shell :)