Anyone know what zoloft is used for besides mental disorders?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by sad_ness12003, Mar 30, 2004.

1. sad_ness12003

sad_ness12003 New Member

Hello,
    If anyone has any info. on this, I would be most grateful. I found out back in Sept. that my husband is taking zoloft. When I found out (he did not tell me) I asked if it was for depression or for another mental disorder (ocd, anxiety, panic attacks, bi-polar,etc). He said no. He added that it is also used for other health conditions, like pmdd in women. He said that he is taking it for one of these "other" reasons. I can't find any info. on-line, though I'm not sure if I'm looking correctly. I think he's embarassed to tell me. I am so in the dark. I also believe that he is experiencing side effects from the zoloft. He barely sleeps at night, he has gastrointestinal problems,we've hardly had any marital relations, and he's had problems with short term memory loss. He won't admit to any of this. Please, if anyone knows anything and can help, it would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. sad_ness12003

sad_ness12003 New Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, at first I was always trying to get him to talk. It was so frustrating not knowing what was going on, and I still really don't. I have learned to just let him do whatever he's doing. He still sleeps in another room, is not home a lot, doesn't call me to let me know where he is. And we have 5 kids! They are really suffering as well. Whenever I even suggest this or that, he constantly thinks I am "judging" him as opposed to just truly caring about my husband! It is extremely difficult as I don't know what to expect from him from day to day. This has been going on for 1 year now. I hope we can make it. are you married? How does your wife (or significant other if you have one) deal with your depression? Or how would you like them to? Forgive me if that question sounds rude - I don't intend it to be. Just trying to get some advice.
    Thanks again.
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

In addition to depression and PMDD. Zoloft can be used to treat anxiety/panic disorders and OCD. OCD is obsessive compusive disorder. Take care!
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I take Zoloft for pain management, not depression, or OCD, or what ever that other stuff was.

It is a God send because it changes my perception of pain, or the intensity of the pain, or whatever. It is hard to describe. I get on with living WITH the pain; it doesn't overwhelm me. I have had chronic pain for 55 1/2 years with rheumatoid arthritis.