Anyone know why magnesium supp stopped working?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IEMom, Sep 15, 2006.

1. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I have been taking a magnesium supplement for about a month now for my constipation. For the first two weeks it worked so well I thought I found a miracle cure. I felt great and stopped being bloated like I normally am.

But for the last two weeks the constipation is coming back. It doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone know why? Please help.
  2. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have been taking magnesium for muscle pain. I did not know that it could be used to treat constipation. What I do know, however, is if I take too much magnesium then I get 'the trots.'

So, logically, when you first started taking the magnesium your body was not used to it and so 'overreacted' thus stopping the constipation. Now, your body has adjusted to the higher level of magnesium and so the constipation is back. This is just a guess.

Why did you start taking magnesium for constipation???? I have only every heard of it being used for muscle pain relief.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I was wondering how many milligrams you were taking? Maybe your body has gotten used to that and you need to increase by about 200 mg. more. I take 200 mg. now.

When I was taking a Rx that made me constipated I was taking 300 mg. of the magnesium and 2 stool softeners/stimulants.

It is possible you just need more magnesium. I would increase it by 100 mg. every day until you get relief. I use the Magnesium Plus from the Pro Health Store and I'm very pleased with it.

Hope things get better for you.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hi, try taking your mag with dolamite, dolimite. It helps our bodies break the magnisium down and get all the benefits of the magni. I never take eith with out the other.