Anyone know why NSAIDs are prescribed for us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I developed an ulcer like many others on
    the NSAIDS and my current doctor says they are more appropriate from Arthritis or other inflamatory diseases than for FM
    but some docs keep prescribing them anyway. Why? I know they never helped me
    but I was still in search of doc and trying what ever I was told might help.
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

have more than just Fibro-associated pain...I do. I have inflammatory pain that is relieved by taking Mobic, an NSAID. BTW, Ibuprofen is also an NSAID and is NOT steroidal. An example of a steroidal anti-inflammatory drug would be Prednisone, which has some serious side effects if taken long-term. I have taken Prednisone off and on, at large doses for thirty years for another problem.
    Love,
    Kady
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

and i have tried so many different sorts of NSAIDS
    but none of them work for me,all they do is make my asthma worse.
    they don't even help my arthritis,

sybilxxx
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us have elevated Sed Rates which indicate inflammation in the body. Sed Rates often fluctuate. I believe that FMS is not an inflammatory illness but I do believe that surrounding tissues can become inflamed and it's possible to have an inflammatory illness along with FMS.

I rely on ibuprophen for lower-level pain of FMS and it gives me some relief. I would not, however, consider taking Celebrex or Vioxx as they have too many side effects and both make me sick as does Ultram.

Love, Mikie