Anyone Like to Garden? CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Feb 14, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm sitting here in WI and looking at more snow that came in yesterday and I'm longing to get out to my garden and put my hands in the dirt. I miss it so much and I can't wait for spring. I guess I have some cabin fever.

Anyone else like to garden? What are your favorite plants? Any good tips on an organic way to minimize insects?

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2008]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I love my flowers.I wish I knew something about vegetable gardens. What's weird is that I LOVE to pull weeds. My husband laughs at me when we go on walks. "Keep walking" he says when I pass someone's yard and I see weeds. There's something about the feel, the sound...
    Give me some bind weed and I'm in heaven! Weird, huh?? :)
    I can't wait for spring. I love just walking my yard looking at my flowers, deadheading them. Even though we have a sprinkler system, I could also sit for hours with a hose and just water. So relaxing to me.
  3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I am a master gardener here in the Pac Northwest. There are alot of different ways to treat pests organically. It is hard for me to diagnose your problem though. I would recommend that you find your nearest master gardener extention office for info. You can take problem plants in and they will diagnose and tell you how to treat that plant for that specific insect. They have so much wonderful info. You can also just call them if you have just general questions and can send you out some great information. Hope this helps. P
  4. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Monica, I used to be grow thousands of different plants, and had two greenhouses. I grew cacti, succulents, and miscelaneous geraniums and other tenders.

I don't use the greenhouses now, and will probably have them dismantled .... fuel costs for heating are too high and my energy since CFS is virtually nil.

I grow lots of things outside, and have some Iris reticulata bulbs blooming, as well as four vars. of Crocus, and some violets. In the woods, the hellebores and hazels are in flower. Spring is here for me (hard frost this morning), and if I have the energy and the day is good, I try to do a little bit of work in the yard. If the day is bad, I mess with the houseplants.

I'll grow more veggies this year hopefully; the prices of produce are outrageously high and rising all the time. I always grow tomatoes, squash, and peppers.

Favorite plants? : couldn't name one. I don't care for roses or blackberries much anymore; I'm all scratched to pieces right now from fighting a rose.

If you have a slug or snail problem, try Sluggo; it's non-toxic and pet friendly. Just sprinkle the pellets, it is so easy to use.

Well I'm out of steam now, but I like this thread. Maybe we could have CSF/FM garden club here on the chit-chat board, if anyone were to be interested.....

5. sisland

sisland New Member

I love to garden too! Although im down to a strawberry patch and sunflowers and pansies,,petunias in the pots,,,,Tomato plants in containers,,,,,I would love to go all out and have a big Beautiful garden ,,,,,,alas,,,Fm is the damper!

Cute ,,how Janalyn say's about wanting to pick weeds! My mom was the same way,,,lol and i have a neighbor who sprays every weed 4 times over ,,,,,,,,weeds are pests! i agree!,,,,sis
  6. jole

jole Member

My garden use to be quite big, with 5 kids to feed. It was tiring, but I love to watch things grow, and the food from a garden is sooooo good. I grew green beans, peas, corn, beets, radishes, carrots, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, cantelope and watermellon. Would can the veggies for the winter months, and usually would buy boxes of peaches to can for winter also.

Now it's just a few flowers in pots, and a fairly large area of wildflowers, which I love! I can sit on the porch and enjoy them without any of the work. I also enjoy the butterflies the wildflowers attract.

This is a good post...although a little nostalgic!
  7. springwater

springwater Active Member

I love gardening but the fatique gets in the some days i just ignore the garden and when i go to look i find some plants withering, or leaves yellowing or something

since its warmer where i live all my spring flowers are in the stages just before opening.....i have lots of cinerarias, calendulas, african daisies, clarkia, snapdragon and petunias....all raised from our own seeds...maintaining a garden is pretty expensive, all that fertilizer and pots and i try to grow what i can replant later on from seed.

For that reason i have a lot of geraniums....they take root so easily and can be multiplied at no cost. And roses.

At the moment my hydrangeas are sort of dried up looking and the about to flower clarkias are getting yellow, I dont know what to do about them. I thought maybe the night time frost. Rats have got my ivy on the walls and i have put some moth balls in a bottle with holes in the lid and hope the smell will keep them away.

I notice one sure way of lifting the mood is to go and spend some time weeding or pruning, just being around plants seems to generate better energy.

Oh and another thing, i love trees, if i had to choose between flowers and trees I would choose the latter.

God Bless
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2008]
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

and last summer managed to grow quite a lot organic fruit and veg in my small city backyard.

i have just all season lettuce and sprouting brocolli growing over the winter; they seem to be doing ok without any assistance from me.

growing baby leaves outside in the warmer months is easy and not too tiring; they're ready to eat in weeks. seed trays can be used for baby leaves. the fruit bushes were easy too once i got them planted.

hanging baskets can be used for lettuces, strawberries, tomatoes + + +.

tc, tansy

9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Summer of 2006 I was involved in a community garden program and really enjoyed it. There was about 10 of us who worked on this and we split our produce between one of the big food banks and the rest went to the Sr. meal site.

I didn't feel very good last year to do much but I sure hope this year will be alot better.

I have various pots around my house that I normally grow herbs it them.

This year I hope to have a job helping seniors at their homes abd can deliver produce to them.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  10. laceymae

laceymae New Member

We do a lot of gardening here. Hubby does most of it, but I do the canning and freezing.

As for the insects...there are several brews that you can use. I will have to find the recipes for you.

All natural ingredients, mostly dishwashing liquid, mouthwash, beer...I'll post more later when I find them.

Check out Jerry Baker's website. He has really good tips for organic gardening.

11. bct

bct Active Member

Hello fellow gardeners. I see that several of you garden in containers, as do I. I'll use anything as a container, and was wishing yesterday that someone would give me an old bathtub. What fun! As it is, I make do with the largest plastic fake terra-cotta pots.

I grew 7 tomatoes last year in pots, but hadn't changed the soil in a couple of years, so had wilt problems, and poor production on some of the plants. I plant basil at the base of the tomatoes, and it seems to really like it there. I always get more than enough to make a big batch or two of pesto, which freezes really well I have found.

Springwater, hello! I see from your profile you might be in Asia. Gardening must be very different for you! Do you grow any of your native wild-flowers?

Tansy : I remember as a kid we sprouted cress for sandwiches and salads. This was when I was living in England. I am growing St.Barbara's cress now (actually it's growing itself) and like it very much. I haven't seen seed for it in catalogues. I was given some by a nice main at the farmer's market a few years ago. It is perennial, cut and cut again, and is like a cross between arugula and watercress, very tasty.

Well, it's a grey day here, I've had my morning dog walk, and I think that this post is about all the gardening I'm up to today. Sciatica and neuropathy are both acting up, so reading is probably in order!

Regards to all,
  12. monica33flowers

I'm so excited that so many of you are gardeners as well!

Snog: I love houseplants as well. But my space seems to be getting smaller and I just don't have the room for only a select few plants. Feel free to jump in anytime. You know you could always do a couple of small containers outside if you would like. Maybe, a few small pots of herbs that you could use?

Janalynn: I LOL when I read how you like to pull weeds. I am the same exact way. I even went over to my neighbors side of the fence and started pulling their weeds! Mostly cause they hade these hugs thistles which would send baby thistles over to me. LOL. Nothing feels better than a day pulling weeds --- to me it is very thereuptic!

Mujer: My biggest problem is Japanese Beetles eating my roses! I will not use any chemicals because I don't want to harm my hummingbirds or the bees. Plus, I bring a few of my kitties outside with me whenever I garden and the last thing I want is them chewing on something with a chemical. I guess I will just keep squishing those Japanesse beetles with my gloved hands. I did ask a couple of master gardeners at my local nurseries last year and alas all they had to offer were chemicals.

BCT: You have my dream --- greenhouses! I do understand how they are so hard to maintain with this DD. I bought some little "mini-greenhouses" with their own little peat pots. I'm so excited to start so seeds indoors. I use to do this many years ago -- Before this DD.

My favorites are Endless Summer Hydrangeas, snapdragons, Zinnia's, tea roses, cosmos.

What makes me the happiest is when everything is in full bloom I will take bouquets of my flowers to neighbors so they can enjoy the beauty.

I love the idea of a garden club here on this board. Anyone else?

Sis: Gardening in containers counts as gardening. You do only what you can do is my motto. My huge garden has gone to just lettuce, spinach, 1 cucumber plant (burpless), radishes and lots of herbs.

Terch: I love going to nurseries or greenhouses as well. Nothing lifts my spirit like flowers blooming!

Jole: I love food for the garden also. My mother has two huge gardens that she is always bringing me my favorite things. Nothing is better than a salad from the 'ole garden. My mother does a ton of canning! She even grows her own raspberries & blackberries for jelly and jam!

Springwater: I love geraniums here in WI my mother will weather them over in her garage. The plants are one a third year and they are HUGE!

Tansy: I've tried year after year growing broccoli. It grows wonderful here but I have a hard time with those green worms. Nothing in less appetizing than getting ready to take a big bite of broccoli only to find a green little worm...YUCK!

Beadlady: I would love the home brews you spoke of....I especially don't want to hurt my hummingbirds. I could sit outside in the afternoon and wath them all day.

Lacymae: My mother does all the canning. People around the area call my mother the "Pickle Lady" because in the spring she sells a lot of homemade canned goodies and she has customers that even come from another state for her goodies. I really must learn how to can.

Gosh, this sure is long post. Well, lets try and get together more often and talk about gardening. Today I'm gazing thru seed catalogs and try to get a few new ideas for this years containers.
  13. bct

bct Active Member

I just saw the weather channel and saw how cold it is in Wisconsin. Keep Warm!

Yeah, a garden club here on the chit-chat board would be fun. Let's think of a name. "Sick people's garden club" doesn't quite cut it, does it?

As to my greenhouses, they positively depress me, my dear, when I recall all the plants that I used to grow. Still, I do what I can, when I can. Right now, like you, I'm looking through seed and plant catalogues. Lots of fun, isn't it?

A lesson I have learned is that if a plant is making me feel bad because it is not doing well, or is looking really ugly/sick/etc., that if I discard it, I feel immediately better for not having to look at it! This used to make me feel so guilty, but I've gotten over it.

The reason I do not maintain green-houses any more is because of escalating power costs over the years, and the CFS that is constant.

14. monica33flowers

We finally are warming up from the bitter cold weather. I see you live in CA so I'm sure your weather is much nicer than this frozen tundra that I call home. LOL!

I hear you on the cost to run a greenhouse. The heating costs are unbelievable! It must be so heartbreaking looking at the empty greenhouses. This DD just sucks!

Sick People's Garden Club --- that gave me a chuckle. Maybe we could just call the thread Garden Club and everyone can post about their gardens -- big or small. Last year I went to more containers in my flower beds and it was so much nicer. Easy to care for an look at...

OK, I'm kinda in a fibro fog moment hear and I'm sure I'm rattling away. So, 'til later --- Monica
  15. bct

bct Active Member

I hope you are all feeling not too bad. I'm tired from my weekly town trip, can barely type today. A big Pacific storm is blowing in, and it's rainng hard; sure hope I don't have to go out a clean out the ditches!

Obviously no gardening today for me, but I've been thing about what annuals I might do this year. The Snapdragons did so well last year that I'm going to grow some more. I like the tall ones, not the dwarfs. I gave up on snaps. for a few years because of rust problems, but not a problem last year.

Also, going to grow a lot of wax-leaf begonias (the bedding ones) because they can take heat, sun, neglect, and are DEERPROOF (please let this be true)!

Regards to all,
  16. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

You bet..Am convinced hands in the soil is medicinal..Actually they found soil bacteria which stimulate the Immune System and serotonin in the brain..

Monica if you grow daisy type flowers and let some things like lettuces and carrots go to seed they will encourage predator insects which will predate on the pest insects.

Just now I am having a major fruit harvest which has only taken 7 years of pottering about to achieve but what a buzz.
  17. monica33flowers

I don't know if you have tried this product or not but Barry said it works well for him. I will copy and paste what he wrote a while ago.

If you have a slug or snail problem, try Sluggo; it's non-toxic and pet friendly. Just sprinkle the pellets, it is so easy to use.
  18. tansy

tansy New Member

hi monica

i grew broccolli last year; growing it in pots meant smaller florets but they tasted great. since my garden attracts butterflies i lost the last of my broccolli to large numbers of green caterpillars; just could not believe how quickly they destroyed my crop.

this year i will stick to sprouting broccolli seeds; they take no time at all, and require very little energy.

the purple sprouting broccolli that's doing well atm, despite being planted out months later than advised, seems to be easier to grow. time will tell; i'll keep you posted.

tc, tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  19. bct

bct Active Member

Welcome! I haven't seen you on this side of the board before. I see you live in Victoria, Australia. I had to look at your profile, because I couldn't figure what fruits were being harvested in the U.S. at this time of year! So what are you harvesting?

I grow a few Australian plants (I note that you are into natives), and have a few flowers on a blue Westringia (don't know the common name of this), and Grevillea noelii is in bud. I grow a few Eucalaypts, cutting them back hard every few years to keep them manageable and fire-safe, and to keep the good new blue foliage.

Regards to all,
  20. tansy

tansy New Member

if i had the space i'd grow these; since they're relatively easy.

there's info on all aspects of growing asparagus at

tc, tansy