Anyone Loose Weight with this DD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Dec 23, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has lost weight with this DD and kept the weight off.

I am currently taking Lyrica and Amitriptyline and since starting these meds over a year ago I have gained over 50 lbs.

I must find something that works. I just cry everytime I look in the mirror and see myself. I actually bought some new clothes and I had to buy a 3x jacket and 2x shirts.

I desperately need help. Can anyone help?

2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

One of the hardest things for me was dealing with the weight gain, boy talk about being vain! I use to be reallt hitn and could eat anything I wanted. I had gained 25 lbs.

I probably have been on the world's longest diet 15 years! LOL I didn't lose weight until I went on the anti Candida diet. I lost 13 lbs in 6 weeks and 4 inches off my waist. I'm sure it was mainly the no sugar that did it and no dairy. Doing no carbs is too extreme for me, that would be eating only meat - it's the only thing that doesn't have carbs. A super low diet diet is what works for me. I'd check the different low-carb support groups on the Internet, they have great ideas and great recipes or get a chart with low glycemic foods.

One other benefit of not eating sugar is the fibro gets better. This has been proven. I sleep better and the pain is almost gone! I think most of us do have Candida and that feeds off sugar and yeast. And with Candida it is almost immpossible to lose weight unless you get rid of the sugar in your diet. I don't even eat any of the alternative sweeteners, yet. I don't eat Splenda because some research has shown it to be almost as bad as aspartane. We don't need that!

It is hard but well worth it. If you think of it as wanting to get better more than wanting to eat some unhealthy food it makes it easier.

Good luck!

3. stschn

stschn New Member

In my first years with this DD when I was bedridden I went from 130 to 188. Over the years I got down to 150. Then Valcyte entered my life and I'm back up to 175. The sad part is that I know it wasn't the drug it was me feeling so badly and needing comfort so I turned to food. That and the fact that once again I was flat on my back. If you don't move you don't burn calories. I'm off the Valcyte and feeling better but finally excepted that I need a wheelchair and if I don't move it's that much harder to drop the pounds. I know what to do I just need to do it. My life is such a bore and food is one of the few thing I enjoy so it isn't easy but neither is looking in the mirror.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

but it's hard if you cannot exercise much or at all, or medication causes weight gain.

Overall, most doctors recommend what amounts to a low-carb/candida diet, as they are pretty similar imho, having done both. Both starve the yeast which most of us have; also, if you have bacterial infections that you don't know about, it will also help to starve them.

BTW, a low-carb diet does NOT mean meat only... it doesn't even mean cutting to only 20 carbs/day unless you want to prove it works to yourself (Atkins recommended doing that for only 2 weeks, then adding in more carbs; it's gotten a bad rap because I think most people haven't read beyond that).

Most low-carb diets recommend higher amounts of carbs, like 30-50/day. The thing in common is no sugar, no refined/white flour & fillers, and lots of green veggies which help fill you up and are good for you, period.

I still think the book - Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates- has some of the most sensible advice overall, and cuts out many grains that are commonly used; she instead substitutes uncommon grains like amaranth, millet... It really helped me with candida and overall health.

hope that helps.

all the best,

5. bronzee

bronzee New Member

I was on amitriptyline and i dont take it anymore cause it make u gain weight. Some doctors will tell u it won't make u gain but all antipressients make u gain weight. I stop taking it and lost my unwanted pounds. I take 8hr tylenol every nite or alieve, bath in hot water and rest.
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, monica.

I would say that most PWCs do gain weight, though there is a subset of "skinny PWCs."

According to the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for CFS, the reason for the weight gain is that most PWCs are not able to burn carbohydrates and fats at normal rates to produce ATP to power the reactions in their cells. If a PWC continues to consume carbs and/or fats at rates higher than they can burn them, they are converted to stored fat, resulting in weight gain.

According to this hypothesis, the reason carbs and fats are not burned at normal rates is that they must enter the Krebs cycle at acetyl-CoA, and there is a partial block in the Krebs cycle at the enzyme aconitase, which is not far in the cycle beyond where acetyl-CoA enters.

According to this hypothesis, the partial block occurs because of the rise in oxidizing free radicals, i.e. oxidative stress. Oxidative stress occurs in CFS because glutathione is depleted. Glutathione normally serves as the basis for the body's antioxidant enzyme system.

Most PWCs who have a weight gain issue do better when they eat high protein diets. According to this hypothesis, the reason is that protein is broken down into amino acids, most of which can be converted from one to another, and some of them are able to enter the Krebs cycle beyond the partial block and are thus able to be burned to produce ATP.

While a high-protein diet will help, in the long term what is needed for recovery is a treatment to lift the partial block in the Krebs cycle, as well as to correct other upstream issues in the biochemistry. The simplified treatment approach for lifting the partial methylation cycle block and allowing glutathione to rise to normal levels is designed to do this.

If you want to read more about it, see my post of July 18, 2007.

A lab test panel that will tell a person whether they have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion is available from Vitamin Diagnostics. I have posted information about that several times in the past, and it is available in the board's archives.

I hope this is helpful.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

no I gained over 50lbs too and have never been able to get rid of it. I can lose 9lbs then put it on again but thats it.

I know exactly how to lose the weight, porridge morning, light lunch and at night a protein like chicken or turkey or beef or fish with a veg, no potatoes. The anti-candidas diet is a good one but hard to stick to.

Thing is when I'm in a lot of pain and thats often, I cant stick to this regime. I have a sugar craving that wont go.

I try not to let my weight bother me but when I get my photos taken (like now at Xmas) I just die when I look at myself, I wonder who this woman is.

[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2008]
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I've had trouble keeping weight on but it turned out that I'm actually a celiac. Although, once when I was on an antidepressant I put on 40 lbs within a few months. And once I was off of it the weight just fell off ...

The antidepressant made me feel like I was starving all the time. So, I have a whole new appreciation for how diet pills work.

So, maybe this subset Rich is referring to actually have a digestive disease like celiac or some other food allergy that keeps their stomachs upset.

I'm putting weight on now though ... and I still have CFS/FM.

The worst thing I've found for fattening me up are nut butters. I would imagine any type of saturated fat would do this though.
  9. gongee

gongee New Member

I have lost weight from 150 to 100lbs. but I think the only reason for this is the horrible problems I have been having with irritable bowel syndrome and bacterial peptic ulcers.
    I'm sure that once my appetite shows back up, my weight will want to creep back in too. I am seeing a dietitian next week for a meal plan due to the fact what I eat for one thing, I can't eat afor another and so on. I do hope to keep my weight down as much as possible.

Good Luck!!