Anyone lose weight taking Calcium Pyruvate??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Nov 30, 2005.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi All

I've been doing some investigation into Calcium Pyruvate with claims of some weight loss.

Have any of you taken this supplement? Does it assist with weight loss? Any side effects?

I've always been a bit paranoid about taking supplements so I'd appreciate any info you can share.

Thanks

Eileen.
  2. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I have been taking Calcium Pyruvate for several weeks now. I have a long thread with all of the ups and downs of CP which you can find in my profile.

The ups way outweigh the downs for me, so I'm not giving this wonder stuff up :).

I just wanted to say -- I didn't even know it was for weight loss when I first started taking it. It was just something my dad wanted me to try -- for energy.

The good news is that thought I've been on 50mg of Elavil a day, I have not gained an ounce. I get ~serious~ sugar cravings -- and give in to them -- because of the Elavil. I'm sure would have gained at least 10 pounds by now if not for the calcium pyruvate.

So for me, I'm happy just not gaining any more weight :).
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2005]
  3. silky17

silky17 New Member

bumping for answers
  4. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

Hi,
    increase in energy for sure, I am not taking it for weight loss but I have noticed that my stomach has shrunk. It also helps your testosterone not bind and be more free flowing in the bloodstream. this is helpful for increasing mucles and decreasing fat and increasing your sex drive. the only negative i find is the amount that you have to take for it to work properly. I started taking it because I started an exercise program - very light - and read in my book prescriptions for natural healing what would help me get back into better shape....this was recommended.
    good luck
    Mark
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Like goldenrod, I'm a bit more toned. I think it's because I'm moving around so much now. Even shoveled my own driveway today -- impossible last winter. I have not dropped a full pant size yet, but I did drop an intimates size :).

No significant change in weight, so I must be building muscle.

I don't think anyone on this board should start at body builder's recommended dosage -- 1 gram per 10 pounds of body weight. Whew! I would have died.

Most caps start at 600-750 mg (.6-.75 grams.) I recommend starting with one just cap to see how your body reacts, then working the dosage up -- and stopping where you get the most benefit without over-stressing your system.

Too much CP can make you overdue it. (I speak from experience :).) I do well with 1-2 caps most days (750mg.)
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've started with a single dose and I am finding a bit more energy.

While I would like to lose the usual 10 pounds, I'm more concerned about being able to stay fit. The daily half hour walks really seem to help me mentally but by the end of the week, they get pretty hard to pull off!

Here's hoping this supplement can reverse that by next week.

Thanks again.

Eileen

7. millennia

millennia New Member

I read the other thread about the posters father giving her the pyruvate and decided to try it. I just got it last night and started taking it. I know it has helped a lot of people with their energy levels, and that alone would be great. But I was wondering if anyone has lost weight too? I was also wondering how the people that overdid it when they first started taking it, are back to seeing benefits?
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

bumping for more info.
  9. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I've taken calcium supplements quite often over the past years. I really didn't notice any help with weightloss -- except when I had Slimfast for breakfast and lunch. Those are the good ole days -- now I must serve and eat healthy, well-rounded meals the sake of my son.

If I didn't have the extra 'edge' pyruvate gives me, I wouldn't have been able to run four errands -- and fix the blower motor in the car -- in three hours. That's what makes me such a fan :). I'm among the living again.

Not every day is perfect; I still get tired....

... but I noticed it's time to invest in a belt :). Still no scale-readable weight loss.
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

On the issue of taking regular calcium for weight loss, I read that they have never been able to replicate that study. At this point it appears to be a fluke. Maybe there was another variable they overlooked in the original study. At any rate, most of us could use some extra calcium, especially us women, we don't want to get osteoporosis, we have enough wrong with us.
  11. millennia

millennia New Member

I went to t he doctor a few days ago and I've lost 7 months in the past month (since I started CP). If I can keep that up, I'll be looking pretty good by summer!
  12. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Gained 2 pounds over Christmas, and they're acting like they want to stick around.

However, I was just moved from Elavil to Trazodone (to improve sleep and lessen morning pain,) so hoping the nighttime chocolate cravings start to go away.
  13. millennia

millennia New Member

Since you asked, I got mine at the vitacost website. They have the best prices I've seen yet.