Anyone lose weight with Illness? Sweating, Nail Ridges

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Sep 16, 2005.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Has anyone lost weight with this illness? If so have you also thought about Lyme? I have lost 20 pounds since being ill and now I eat what ever I want and don't gain a pound. This is the only good thing that has happened since I have been ill.

I also have a few other symptoms that we don't all have such as severe sweating and horrible nail ridges. I guess I am like us all just trying to put a puzzle together. Does anyone else have all three of these symptoms as well?

Does anyone who have all three of these symptoms know conclusively wants wrong?

Any ideas would greatly appreciated.
  2. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

At first I thought it was symptoms of perimenopause but now I believe it was my body fighting off infection in my gut. I have several "bad" bacteria in my gut that should not be there but were discovered through a "stool" (sorry) test. I have also lost 15 pounds mainly because I am afraid to eat any food containing sugar, white flour or dairy products because they seem to cause me a lot of muscle pain.....I ate a piece of cheesecake 4 weeks ago and I have not been free of pain since. I believe what I have is Leaky Gut Syndrome....They say that can cause all the same symptoms as FM and Lyme Disease.

As for the nail ridges...I have always had them but my nails have become stronger since taking all the supplements.
    Joan
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Sadly, I have been retaining food even when I feel terrible.

The sweating sounds familiar, though. For awhile I was soaking wet all the time--even on top of my head!! I went to the FFC in Seattle for my first appointment about 3 weeks ago and the doc started me on T3/thyroid, as well as some powerful vitamins w/B complex and fish oil caps. The profuse sweating has completely stopped. Wish I could tell you which magic potion did the trick. I suspect the T3, but don't know.

The ridged nails are something the doc checked for at FFC. I don't have ridges, but pretty big half moons on my thumbs. Since she checked for it, it must be a FM symptom.

Take care,

Francie
  4. wickett

wickett New Member

I have been sweating everytime I start trying to clean house, I usaually am soaking wet & shakey, have to sit down. I am 55 so maybe it is my change of life. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs.....Wickett
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I don't know abour cfs.I've been through menopause.The sweating is for me comes when I hurt a lot.The more I push it or ache,the more profusely I sweat.Until I went through menopause,I rarely perspired
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

nail ridges, sweating when at my worst but.....I put on 60lbs when I became ill, many people do.

However, there is a large percentage of people with CFS / Fibro who lose weight.

Rosie
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi:

I wish I had the weightloss to but along with FM, I'm hypothyroid and weight sure doesn't come off that easily.

I do have both the nail ridges as well as the sweating. My skin can feel ice cold and I still break out in sweats. Yucky stuff.

I know that certain medications can cause it, so I think it's a combination between drugs and illnes that does it.

Eileen
  8. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I am hypothyroid as well, and don't lose weight easily...so it has stayed the same (with a lot of effort!)

I am 48, and the last year sweat profusely...it is so embarrasing! I don't know if it is perimenopause or FM. Also have huge nail ridges, but so does my older brother...they run in the family, I guess. B
  9. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi there

No one's ever associated my nail ridges to FM before but I know they are related. The worse the flare up the deeper the ridge. I can tell exactly how many I've had by counting the ridges!

I've managed to maintain a steady weight despite my appitite going haywire. Sometimes I can't eat a thing and other time my body doesn't tell me when it's full - and I want to keep on eating. I think this is my body trying to squeeze a bit more energy out of food.

My Dr was really sympathetic when I told her what was happening and she gave me an eating program so I'd maintain my normal weight. All I have to do is stick to it whether I feel like eating or not and more importantly, when I feel like I need to clean out the fridge!

Maybe your Dr could do something similar for you.

Cheers Jana