Anyone NEED caffiene???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I tried to cut out the one cup a day and can't do it. It gives me a terrible headache and makes me very nauseous if I skip the caffiene. Even if I go without until about noon I start to get sick.

Could this have something to do with an endocrine issue? I do have orthostatic htn and struggle with hypoglycemia. My husband can have 3 cups or none at all with no problem. If I have MORE than my usual I feel terrible but if I skip it it's even worse.

Has anyone else experienced this or do you have any input here?

Sofi
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

but I do drink diet soft drinks for their caffeine. I know when I've had enough I start to feel nervous and I switch over to water.

I don't get headaches as I usually start the morning with a soft drink. I have diabetes so I can't use regular.

Coffee will tear up my stomach, so I had to give it up when I couldn't find the 99% acid free coffee anymore.

Coffee has a lot more caffeine that a diet soft drink does, but I can't tell you how much as it depends on what kind of coffee you drink (instant, perk, or drip).

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've tried several times to not do it, but my brain chemistry doesn't allow me to "function" at all without it.

But I do organic coffee, mixed with vanilla almond milk only lx in the morning.

No other caffeine products.

LIGHT***********carole
  4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I actually used to enjoy it so much more before this dd. It would give me that little pick me up that is sometimes so necessary in the a.m. Well, I dont get that anymore so I figured why bother?

I occasionally will have a cup if my husband has it made other wise I dont. Kinda miss that wide awake feeling tho ho hum..:) Linds
  5. bphayes

bphayes New Member

I love me some coffee. I only drink a cup a day, usually. I have just decided that every dang thing I do or don't do is going to affect me, in one way or another. Its so durn frustrating when you have to say, "I'm not sure, I won't know how i feel that day". That feeling sucks. Anyway...i would drink the coffee, if i wanted it. I'm tired of "walking on eggshells" around myself. Wishing You the Best!!! billie
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

actaully need it. I guess I'm odd in that I don't get a headache or other symptoms if I go w/out, and because of IBS and bouts of loose stool, I'll just up and not have any some days w/ no ill effects. I only drink 1 - 3 cups a day though. It's a pretty harmless habit that way.

You are really odd in that only a one a day habit can make you go thru that kind of w/drawal. What clues me in that this is not just an endocrine issue (though I definitely think it is, partly) is that you are bad off if you have more than one. That tells me that it's an allergy. We can get intense w/drawal symptoms from things we are allergic to, and intense cravings for the allergen too. Because it gives our symptom a jolt, and we crave that jolt, it acts like a sort of high.

You may be able to replace w/ a healthy caffeinately drink. Not that coffee isn't healthy, in moderate amounts, but it's not healthy for you. You could substitute regular or green tea, which has a modest amount of a different kind of "caffeine". That may give you not quite the boost coffee does, but probably not the allergy side effects.

What you really need to do is nourish your glands. Adrenal and lower amounts of thyroid glandular supplements and liver too can give you great results. It's what I'm using w/ amazing success. The Dr. Wilson's "Adrenal Rebuilder" is effective too, it's a blend of 5 glands, but more expensive. it can be ordered online, just type his name into search and you'll find it.

Jeanne
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I can't drink it anymore, gives me the shakes and weird stomach and will lead to a panic attack....just another little pleasure I 've had to say goodbye to......

Sue in Ontario
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have tried other types of caffien with some success but not much. I like green tea and have been drinking more of it but will still get the headache if that is all I drink. I plan to eventually wean myself off but I can only do so much at one time.

I think I'll keep the coffee around a bit longer. Baby steps, right?

Thank you for all your advice. I am going to look into the allergy possibility as well as the gland boost.

Sofi
  9. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

caffine withdrawals, it takes awhile to get over them. It's like when you stop smoking. wean yourself slowly, it took me a long time but well worth it.

Now if i drink coffee with caffine, OMG it does a number on me. Just give it time, try half caf half decafe or 3/4 cafe you get the picture.

Good luck I know it's hard
    Laura
  10. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

One cup of coffee is probably not going to damage you. I have hypoglycemia, also, and it does use up the blood sugar and leave you hungry shortly thereafter for a snack. So it might make you gain weight?

I have tried switching to tea and it just isn't the same.

Anyways, caffeine is a cheap, relatively safe stimulant. My son went through a whole sleep study and the dr. gave him provigil (prescrip med for sleepiness). He went back to the dr. and told him it did nothing; was still sleepy. The dr. told him to drink coffee!!!LOL He doesn't because of a heart condition; but I do.

11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...more when I have a migraine, which I am a regular sufferer of. Caffeine just seems to help while I wait for my migraine med to kick in.

Hugs,
    Pam