Anyone not able to Travel, even day Trips?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 31, 2005.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wonder if there are any that unable to travel even one day trips..

I can manage around my town but can't make it out of town even for a day trip..Most of the good doctors are at least 1 to 2 hours away
    and so are all the malls etc..Not that I could shop but it sure would be nice to
    be able to go to the doctors if I could find a good one..

I have 2 children that live away and would love to go visit but the last time I made the trip by the time I got there I had to stay in bed and returned home the next day..

My CFS seems to be getting worse or I am giving in to much..I just can't do the things I did 2 years ago..I would go and do and pay later but it was worth it now I can't seem to manage to go and do, but am paying the price as if I did...

Phyl

2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I sure know where you are comin from. My mother lives in Arizona and I'm in Ohio. She flies here three times a year. I haven't been to her house in four years now. Can't even fathom the idea of packing any more....

Today is a 'jammie' day for me, hurt to bad to even get dressed. Boy I hate these days!

Be good to yourself!
    Hugz,
    Tona
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Know what you mean, yesterday was an in bed all day for me and today is jammie not so much the pain, just the horrible fatigue like I have been drugged..

My flares or whatever have developed a pattern maybe 3 days up and 2 days in bed if I have a good week. This has becme a weekly thing and the weekends seem to be my worst.

Hope you have as good a jammie day as possible...

Hugs, Phyl
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

Count me OUT of travel

I am in Desperate need of a vacation, but even 1/2 in a car makes me stiff and sore and tired

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Empower, sure know what you mean but I get big anxiety just thinking of going like a fear or something..

Churchmom. 15 hours in a van and a vacation, you still have some go days ahead..

Sometimes I think mine is more fear related that the actually fatigue..The pain I have but not like with fibro..Mine is more anxiety and the crazy head feelings...

6. libra55

libra55 New Member

This is a very timely post! I just got through taking one of my kids to camp (3 hour drive). My husband drove. I explained to him before hand that I would have to get out and stretch and use the bathroom every hour or so. He was very understanding about it. Usually he is not so patient. I told him he would have to respect my limitations or I would not go. It was important for me to be there personally to see her off to camp. I took pain med before the ride. Three hours up, moving her in, and 3 hours back. We had a nice lunch up there but I was still so exhausted when we got home.

Guess what, we get to do it all over again at the end of the week! There is a road race (it is a cross-country running camp) and a farewell party afterwards. I wish I could be in the road race; sheesh I can hardly walk some days!

I have just about given up over night travel. It's too rough on me. We got invited to our friends beach house, I just could not go.

If I have to, I can do it, but I pay the price afterwards.

I think it can be done, but with accommodations. People have to be understanding about our conditions, and quite frankly some of them (having never lived with it) are not.

We subscribe to some travel and leisure magazines, and sometimes I just look longingly at the pictures and think how I would like to go there. I really used to enjoy traveling when I felt better.

Good Post!

Michelle
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Glad you were able to make the trip..I too
    long to travel once again especially a beach trip..but the fear is holding me back more than anything.."What If" I go
    and have to stay in bed etc..

My only grandson is getting ready to go to college which is 3 hrs away and since his dad died I have always tried to be there for him..He is wanting me to go with he and his mom on moving in day and I want to go but afraid if I do I will have one of my "spells" and spoil everything...I have thought of going and taking my own vehicle
    but not sure I can make it...

More fear that anything , I think...
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Going for 'moving in' day would be great but I don't think you should drive yourself. Being stuck 3 hours from home would be a nightmare for sure. Maybe if you take the few days leading up to the trip to just relax and pamper yourself you would be able to do ok that day. It would be a great memory for your grandson... just an idea anyway.

Hugz,
    tona
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

I will be 63 in Nov. and it isn't aging its the diseases we have..My Aunt was 80 and flew to Hawaii alone...I won't even go 50 miles even with someone.

I think mine might be agoraphobia. Not sure what is wrong with me...

Good Luck and thanks for your reply
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

I like to travel with my husband because he drives and because he is with me at night when I take my Ambien. But, I like to go see my daughter by myself.
    I usually spend a night with her and then spend a night in a motel. There is one near her house that has a handicapped room near the front desk so I feel more safe.
    I am able to sleep as long as I want to so I can make the drive back easily.
  11. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have a good friend who also has FMS..and she is usually in worse straits than I am. But, her husband is a harley rider and wants her to go to the rally in Sturgis, SD. She will probably go, but she is concerned..and so am I ...about all the what-ifs!!
    I did a 4 day trip this spring to AR from WI. I did not do well, and because we were visiting friends,I put on my game face and did the best I could to hide it and ensure that we all had a good visit. But it wore me out...and the price I paid afterward was big.
    I am not sure how do deal with this . I am 52..and at this point , with the kids gone...I thought we would be doing and traveling and having a ball. Instead I feel lousy, and we dont' go out much. It is not surprising to hear the other stories about how travel impacts FMS'ers in a negative way. But , when I think a run to Walmart can totally exhaust me, why would I think I could do a big car trip????
  12. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

uh ohh now I am wondering about our trip to Montana in our motor home next month.
    I just have been dianosed-tenitivly. I am 46 and used to be able to go all day stacking hay, riding, camping without getting tired or even hardly sore. Now I drag myself to do things that I used to love and its much harder.
    Also most of my pain is in my legs, although my neck and back have their fair share. I do have arthirtis but only bad in one knee.
    I have noticed though when I do drive that the front of my legs ache unless I use my cruise control. And then this week the pain started as a dull throb in the middle of my chest and then ended up in my ribs so bad it was hard to breathe, but its funny how it seems to have moved to my neck now. Does this happen alot?
    I did do one thing, today was my last diet coke, I have heard that nutri sweet can cause symptoms like this. Hopefully I will improve-but dang I sure miss my diet coke.