Anyone NOT gained weight on Elavil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rainstorm, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rainstorm

rainstorm New Member

In an effort to curb a worsening bout of depression, I finally decided to give Elavil (amitryptaline) a try, at 10 mg. I've read a few posts that mention difficulty with gaining weight on this med, and was wondering if anyone has had any success with it, at the 10 mg dose, and NOT gained weight? It's been one week, and the depression is lifting (thank goodness) but I am nervous about weight gain and am hoping that some folks out there have actually been happy with Elavil. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your replies.

--Cerena
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

I've been on 20mg of Elavil for one month now and I have not gained weight. However I am already on weight watcher's to lose weight and am already watching what I eat. It makes me want to snack more, but I know I have to ignore that urge. I was scared when I first started it as I did not want to gain and have been super vigilant watching my food intake and have continued to lose.
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I was on Elavil for maybe 6 months to try to improve sleep. Didn't help me, but I didn't gain any weight. From my understanding, it's less likely that you will have the side effect of weight gain if you don't already have a weight problem. So just monitor your weight to keep on top of it, but I wouldn't stress too much.