Anyone obsessed with this board?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I can't believe myself...I can hardly see or type...my nighttime meds are kicking in but just can't seem to stop reading all your posts. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing but I go thru cycles of being obsessed with different things...lately it's been this board. Any one feel this way? Is this another mental disorder associated with FM?

thanks, shaky

2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

when I first found this board 2 Decembers ago [or was it one....gosh time has warped...no, I think it was 2 decembers ago] and all the people I could relate to,

YOu end up going to bed 3 hrs later than you should, you can hardly move your hands to type, but still you post! :)

and god forbid you start visiting the chat room and making friends there!! lol! and the dire straits you will be in if your computer crashes....

but the obsession will diminish don't worry! give it a few days or a week or two.

I have briefly reawakened my obsession, probably due to being incapacitated recently with a neck and arm problem.

But I will go back to being more responsible in my own life and dealing with my problems in my life, away from the computer, again soon.

I'm not eating right and that's not good.

But there's not time to do all the things I need to do for myself AND spend time on this board.

I say, Relax and Enjoy your new hobby for a few days!

Jen
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I've been staying up later too, but then I couldn't go to sleep anyway, and after reading Madwolfs post regarding cortof why try to drug myself to sleep when I'm not tired???
    *G*
    Anyway about 15 years ago I was (shhhhh!) addicted to a chat board- being new to computers. That lasted about 3 years.
    This is the most time I have spent on my computer since then.
    I too figure it will pass.
    Besides I'm going out of town for a month then what will i do? Guess I'll have to take my clunky 'puter {;-)} Not!
    Ziggy
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

but there are lots of times I get on the board with the intention of spending only about 30 minutes, then pretty soon several hours have passed. I think it all depends on what new topics I find. Tonight I have found lots of interesting ones, including yours. This is when I have a hard time getting off, I keep thinking, OK, one more post, just one more, and so on and so on.

Actually, as far as obcession's go, I think there is something about OCD and Fibromyalgia. I never even realized I had OCT until not too long ago, I thought I was normal, LOL. I now take Effexor and it really helps with OCD. I'm one of those who have to keep re-checking everything, even though I know I've just done it. I also, before the Effexor, would lay awake for hours, sometimes until my alarm went off, worrying about things and if there wasn't anything to worry about I'd do the "what if's".

At least with this obcession, you can learn too!!

Dara
  5. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

However, she has read TONS more than I ever could since becoming moderator. I really admire that she and Shirl do that.

Some of it is the novelty. I wish Mikie would handle this one. I wil try until she gets here. But one does need to be careful. Some substitute this board for a person or the need the talk to a live person that is with them. Some use this board for medical advice when it is extremely important to find a doctor to ask questions and work with. I guess I am saying that as long as the board does not become a substitute for certain healthy relationships that we all need to foster, than that is okay.

It is also a mecca for support. You KNOW others can understand what and how you feel even if their symptoms are different. The bottom line is that it is usually safe in here. People are so kind and empathetic on this board and we often don't get much of that out in public.

It can become a little too much though, in the sense that some "live" everything that is posted in here and get caught up in every word said or every disagreement or whatever. Almost like a soap opera or something.

The moderators are doing an exellent job of keeping topics "on topic". In months/years past that was not always so due to no real moderating and anything and everything could be talked about. It could get real nasty in here real fast. These things are taken care of pretty quickly now.

I hope that makes sense and I know Mikie could say it better because she writes so well but I think she would agree with most of that. I hope she jumps in and writes something here or uses her own words. I could never speak for her. She just has a good sense of standards and understands most the history of this board.

Lynda B.

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2003]
  6. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I feel very dependant on this board. It helps so much to know that I am not going crazy with this DD. I feel blessed to have it. Here I am at 1:30AM, and I am still on this thing! No I'm not obsessed! HA! Iggy
  7. franners

franners New Member

It is the first thing I look for in the morning....
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

but I could be wrong. :)

I check messages in the morning and again in the afternoon, spending 1-2 hours each time. (The few times I checked in the evening I was too impatient to deal with the lagginess.) If I have the energy and the need, I chat in the evenings.

I agree with whoever said you shouldn't let it interfere with seeing people in real life. But I pretty much *have* no people to see in real life (there are people, but the opportunity to see them is rare), so this place has been a Godsend for me.
  9. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

This site has been sooooo much help to me. Gotta say it is the first thing I visit in the morning... through out the day.... don't want to miss something....and before I go to bed. I would say that is obsessed eh?

Has been an answer to prayer as far as I am concerned. The validation, information and companionship and commoradory (sp) all spells support and encouragement to me!

I sit here until I freeze up, getting up is very painful... need to pinch my self to get up every 15 minutes so I don't stiffen up.

Reading the postings has given me relief from some of the anxiety I deal with over this DD, helping me live life a bit more emotionally freed. I have also stopped beating myself up for all the things I can't do any more or that are such a challenge that it takes all my strength to do .... why? Because I am not alone!!! I have read the postings here and can relate!!

For me this is where my obsessive compulsive disorder can be of good use! lol

Smiles...

10. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I come here because I can talk to people who REALLY BELIEVE I HAVE AN ILLNESS (FMS) and understand that I can't just "snap out of it" or "just eat better and exercise more" and it will be all better. It is comforting for me to have that support, to be believed. I've never had it before.

Plus I have learned so much and continue to do so every day.

The only downside is that I, like others here, stay up too daggone late and I have to go to work in the morning! I tell myself I'm just going to check the new posts for a few minutes, and next thing I know the birds are singing outside! (exaggeration) LOL

But that's just my own lack of self-discipline, eh?

Thanks to all of you that care
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Sometimes yes it is addictive to come here, so much great info!

Sometimes though its info overload, and got to go sort it out in my head. LOL.

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I received so much help when I first came here, newly diagnosed and so sick that I could no longer work. I learned about our illnesses here, about various treatments, and about meds to help relieve my pain.

I found out that I could not depend on my docs and that there was so much info here. I also found kindred spirits who understood how I felt.

It is for this reason that when I was asked to moderate, I agreed. I believe this may well be the most important resource for many of us in battling our illnesses.

Thank you, Lynda, for your kind words. I think that it may be possible for someone to become overly dependent on the computer to fill one's social needs, especially when there are few opportunities for a social life or when loved ones aren't very understanding. We do need to try to have in-person relationships to the best of our abilities, but it is difficult when we feel so lousy. This is an excellent backup for us so that we aren't completely isolated.

Love, Mikie
  13. klarry

klarry New Member

I am also a relative newcomer. I can't believe how much support I get from the knowledge that there are others out there in my situation. When you ache all over, have low energy and are pretty much stuck on the sidelines of life, it is great to have a place where you feel at home. I check at least once, maybe twice a day, and have gotten some great feed back. Thank all of you!!!
  14. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I used to be obsessed with this message board but now I don't spend that much time on it anymore. I've been around here for like three years since the very beginning of the board when we were just a handful of people. I got rather burned out from spending too much time on the board when I was bedridden. Now I'm healthier so I don't spend that much time here anymore. I think I'm just hanging around here waiting for THE CURE!

By the way, Achy, my doctor feels that CFS patients are not getting enough oxygen to their brain. He feels that his patients tend to hold grudges and have obsessive thoughts due to the reduced oxygen in the brain. Once his patients use his supplements and get more oxygen into the brain, then their obsessive thoughts go away.

Love, Jasmine
  15. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

It's so good to hear from so many folks. I've been on board for almost a year now and will go in spurts of being obsessed with it...more so when I'm really hurting because it distracts me so well. Like you all I feel like this is the best place to get true support even though I do have a girlfriend, a daughter and SIL who have FM/CFS and are very supportive also but not always available to talk. I have also learned so much here & don't know where I'd be without all the wonderful support I've gotten.

Jasmine...love your name...I have a granddaughter named same but spelled "Jazmyne"...we call her Jazzy. The oxygen theory sounds very possible...I always feel like I need air, always doing deep breathing and can't stand smokey or smoggy air. What are the supplements that you say help this? Also wondering about the new oxygenated water they are coming out with now...have you tried it?

Thanks again everyone & Bless you all!
    Shaky
  16. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I think everyone goes thru that feeling at some time or another. Denizen had some great things to say. I think I come here for validation number one. It always helps to know you are not crazy. Then, I come here for strength to keep looking for a Dr. who will really help. There are many people on the board who have good docs, so I know they are out there. I just have to keep trying. Nothing like going to a new Dr. full of hope and then being shot down. Coming here helps me have the strength to go on and to know that I have a right to good care. I have a great husband, and he knows things aren't right, and he helps a lot, BUT he just doesn't get the big picture. People here understand and someone always knows the right thing to say...................Yea, I'm obsessed! On the other hand, there are days when I don't come on, because I think it kinda depresses me. Then...I always return. !!!!!!!!

Thoughts & prayers,
    Horsegal
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Obssessive? Well maybe, but like someone else said, its a nice obsession, not a nasty one that will hurt you.

I came here over two years ago. I was deadly sick. But I can honestly say that I have truly gotten some very valuable information for my health here and am so much more healthy now then I was two years ago.

The first time I was asked to moderate I refused. Then I was asked again, after thinking it over and praying about it, I decided to say yes. My husband helped with the decision also.

I had received so much help myself here, the least I could do was to give back some of what was given to me on this board.

My husband is gone from home a lot with his job, so that gives me time to myself, and working on the board fills in the time slots for me when he is gone, but when he is home I divide my time between him and the board (that was the understanding we made when I accepted being a moderator with my husband).

This is the first board I had ever been on, the first time using a computer, and as for the FM I have been fighting this illness for 20 plus years. The board was a Godsend for me.

I do not know one person personally(in real life) that suffers from FM/CFS, and I need not say how hard it is to explain to normals how I feel. On here I know everyone understands. My grown children accept it, but do not truly understand either.

I read book after book on FM/CFS. My husband bought the computer for me so that I could do more research. What inspired him, was the Pro Health Catalog, which I had been ordering supplements from them before I had the computer.

When he saw the website in the catalog, that made him determine to get me the computer so I could come here, strange huh??(I did not want the computer, I did not think I could learn anything anymore with the brain fog!)

MY husband, daughter, and grandson taught me how to use the computer(well, as much as I know anyway). All I had going for me was that I could type. I had not a clue what the mouse was :)

It does not interfere with my daily life, as I will do what I need to do, then sit here to relax between household jobs.

At night it helps as I am not big on watching tv. After I take my sleep cocktail, I will sit here till I feel sleepy. Works like a charm.

Plus, working with Mikie, is an absolute joy. She is one terrific, smart lady, and I truly treasure her friendship. We work wonderfully together.

Heres an honest 'plug' for Pro Health, they are a great generous company, that goes out of their way to see that we get the best of supplements and the very latest updates on research.

So, if you feel obsessed with the board, don't worry about it, its a good thing, not a bad one.............

Shalom, Shirl

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your kind words. I would not still be moderating on this board if it were not for you, your kindness, and your wonderful sense of fairness. I have seldom seen a working relationship which works out as well as ours; it is a joy working with you too. I also consider you a dear friend.

BTW, y'all, Shirl has made an excellent point. The founder of this website has CFIDS himself. He donates a very large percent of the profits from this website toward research and advocacy for our illnesses. In addition, he has developed a company which provides the supplements which are designed especially for our needs. Only the highest quality supplements are sold through this website and I cannot find better prices for comparable products anywhere, especially if one uses automated delivery. Check it out in the Store section or order a catalog. The products in the catalog are listed according to symptoms, so it is easy to find what you are looking for.

Love, Mikie
  19. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It takes two to 'Tango', and I do believe we are a great team, hopefully someday we can really try the Tango too :)

Shalom, Shirl
  20. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

During times of flare, I spend a lot of time researching and reading about FMS. It helps me to not feel so helpless, like I am doing something on my own behalf. I wish I had found this board years ago, it would have made my research easier! I get overwhelmed fairly easily in "real time" chat rooms. I really like the post, read, and reply format on this board.

Also, its nice to hang out with people who understand what we all go through day in day out. No matter how bad I am feeling, there is always someone here I can help -- or get help from; there is always someone posting who is worse off than I am and always others who are doing enough better than I that I can take heart, have hope, and learn new stuff about how to combat what ever I am going through.

I'm kind of foggy tonight... about bedtime. I'm not even sure this message makes a lot of sense. LOL But I KNOW that all you FMily members will accept that, too.
    For me it's not an obsession -- its a community. I feel at home here.

hugs from Cat